Ash might go extinct

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zezone, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yep.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A comparatively small number of players find the wood a solidbody electric is made of to be an important part of their tone recipe. And some of those players prefer softer woods which are more acoustically resonant and louder unplugged. Whether a soft light resonant body significantly influences the amplified sound compared to a heavy hard body, is very very well debated, and invariably includes insult and accusation.

Ash grown in Southern US swamp land, AKA swamp ash, has a unique combination of extremely light weight while being quite hard and dent resistant. I don't know of another wood that has quite the extreme weight and hardness dissimilarity. It also has particularly striking grain patterns.
    Add to that the long tradition of ash Telecasters, and the result of losing the ash population will be felt more strongly round here than losing the great elm or lodgepole pine populations.

At the same time, right here we have "pioneers" investigating alternative woods including lots of reclaimed wood saved from going to the dump. So it might be said that the TDPRI is doing something about the problem.
    Not that using other woods is new, it's just becoming cooler as thread after thread shows us what can be done, so the next wave of players now might want pine as often as ash.

Engelemann spruce die off in the Rockies might be mourned more on other forums.
    We all have our priorities.
    Funny how blind the modern media seems to have us, overloaded with random info as we are.

3. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I find it terribly sad that any grandsons I have may never get to hold a beautiful piece of ash...

Seriousy, though -- we have to stop looking at these things as isolated examples - they are all part of the great Holocene/Anthropocene extinction. The current rate of extinction among all species has been calculated as 1,000 times (e.g. three orders of magnitude) greater than the historical background rate throughout the rest of Earth's history. Yet, many people still believe:

[​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So you're going to be Inappropriate Gramps?

bsman likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

B-but, I thought it was the Russians and the Pinko Commie tree huggers that were out to get us!!!
    You sayin' it's us out to get us???

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="john_cribbin, post: 7874187, member: 116034"

The wood bound for Australia had to be fumigated and a certificate sent with each shipment.

Decades roll on and the Australian policy is proved right.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, There were signs as we approached the bridge to PEI explaining you can't bring firewood on to the island. When we had crossed over I asked a local and they explained they have elm trees, and ash trees, and they want to keep it that way.

I get it.

8. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Well, Henry is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.