Ash Grain Fill

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Maricopa, May 21, 2020.

1. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Got this sweet-ash (heh-heh) flamed ash top and back and would like to add a touch of color when I fill it. What's your favorite product to use with ash? It'll be a nitro finish.
    IMG_0093.jpg

tubegeek and eallen like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Imho, everything needs to be coordinated. Do I see a flame maple neck???? What are your plans for the overall color scheme? I would burst the body with an opaque or nearly opaque finish on the sides so as to hide the fact that it is a laminated body...in that the top and back grain does not ‘agree’ with what is seen on the side. Whatever is chosen for that treatment dictates what goes on with the transparent finish on the top, back, and neck...to my way of thinking. Ommv. Lots of options. Nice flame in the ash....that doesn’t come around very often. I did a transparent red bass body back in the ‘90s that had some flame...not as nice as this, though. you could stain the ash and maple gold, sand back, do the washcoat on the ash, fill with natural filler, sanding sealer, and go from there with color. Cherry sunburst like a L.P.? Or...a Fender two color ‘burst from the ‘50s????.

Maricopa likes this.
  3. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

For grain filler I've been happy with Aqua Coat.

Maricopa likes this.
  4. Jmwright777

Jmwright777 TDPRI Member

If your talking pore filler type finishes like the ones used in kiesel guitars or reverse pore filling then timbermate wood filler is amazing! that is how I did the white oak finish in my avatar.

Maricopa likes this.
  5. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Wally, the body is an ash/alder/ash sammitch. The recessed 'sides' are getting tooled leather that will match the pick guard.
    Thought about a burst with a revealed edge but have decided to keep it close to natural...just a touch of color...and yeah the neck is flamed maple and will get a similar color.

KIMG0393.jpg

Jim_in_PA and Wally like this.
  6. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

I like drywall compound. Color with water based craft store paint if needed. Cheap, Easy and works great for me.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mohawk Paste wood Filler.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.