Ash body, Rosewood on maple neck, what pick up?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by edge11, Sep 12, 2019.

1. edge11

edge11 TDPRI Member

Hey guys just got this MJT body and i was wondering if you guys had a any pick up suggestions as to what pickup combination would work well with an ash body on a rosewood fretboard. Apparently 59' and 62' were the years to to have for these double bound custom telecasters but I'm having a real tough time finding more information on the real deal vintage ones. I'm curious as to whats more authentic, the cold rolled steel saddles or the threaded saddles. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Ash bodys are balanced tonewise and a tad less snappy vs. alder. Rosewood boards are maybe a breath warmer vs. maple. I would choose more „quacky“ vintage type pickups.

DADGAD and Tonetele like this.
  3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

This is an electric geetar right ?? o_O

You didn't mention what color picks you were using.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks like you'll have kind of a Pete Anderson '59 when it's done. Although, Pete's was an Esquire.

His pickup was a custom wind by Seymour Duncan.

Some of your choice will revolve around type of music you play, artists you aspire to and/or how they sound through your rig.

You will probably receive a lot of suggestions. It will still end up with what you like.

As many of us have done, trial and error brother.

The quest begins.:D

dreamingtele, 8trackmind and Mincer like this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Anything you want...and that is as far as I am willing to wade into yet another "which is best" thread...
    IMO, I believe that with an electric guitar, the way it is assembled & choice of electronics makes much more difference than wood species.

eallen, 8barlouie and rangercaster like this.
  6. edge11

edge11 TDPRI Member

I've done Ash on maple and I like the fender CS offering for that combo, but I've never done ash on rosewood and I've heard of people having difficulties with that combo. I want to go for a 59-62 type vibe with the build.

The never ending quest, but that's the fun of it. I'm still trying to sus out some of the details of the original 59 custom telecasters as well.

Not necessarily which is best, more like what will work. I've heard of people having a real hard to time finding good pickups for the rosewood ash combination. If I'm not mistaken its a combo that fender themselves has used much.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

AVRI 62 custom. Classic, juicy, no ice pick. Inexpensive (if you can find them)

8trackmind likes this.
  8. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Small world, I was eyeballing that same body. Who the heck are these people having problems with pickups for the ash rosewood combo.
    That kinda makes no sense. If you want to treat yourself, slap some OC Duff Slab'sters in that sucka, although I'm sure there are
    numerous other pickups that will work just fine.

9. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Duncan Antiquities, rolled steel saddles.

Mincer likes this.
  10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When deciding on what pickups to use, I would pay more attention to what kind of tone you want and what type of music you want to play. I’m a big believer in Cavalier pickups for what it’s worth. Rob is a member here and he is very helpful when it comes to finding the right match for the results you’re looking for.

Oh, and the bridge and saddles that are on it look just fine.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. POS Guitars

POS Guitars TDPRI Member

I would do a boutique set, like 1950 Experience from Arcane or similar from Frailin.

12. edge11

edge11 TDPRI Member

I've heard alot of good things about this pick up being a sleeper option.
    I'd check those out, thanks!
    I'm really curious to when the switch from the steel to the threaded saddles happened and how each affects the tone. from what I have seen the 59's tend to go steel while the 62's and later tend to have threaded.
    The buy didn't include the bridge or saddles so that's why I'm curious. I already have 2 blackguard types with brass saddles so I do want to try to roll with either the steel or the threaded saddles.

rze99 likes this.
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

You can get the ‘62 bridge pickup WITH the bridge and saddles. Check out Darren Riley.

14. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

call Seymour

Tonetele and Mincer like this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Just remember that your pots have a 20% tolerance range and do the same kinds of things in that range as jumping back and forth between 250k and 500k nominal pots. I used to swap pickups and worry about that but I've found I can push all that around with 1/10th the cost. If "the wood is too bright" then just get a darker volume pot...

Bergy likes this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I am using EMG Active T system on a ash/maple/rosewood tele. I built it for jam nites to compensate for cheesey amps. It does the job well, very powerful with a decent tele twang. I get about 6 months from a single 9v.

17. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I'd go for a Vintage Broadcaster set if staying traditional. If not, I'd do a Jerry Donahue with a Rhythm for Tele with Strat Tone.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender.

19. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

While pickup threads are so subjective, I'll play along. The fender '62 mentioned punches above its weight pricewise and also ended up in one of my "money is no object" teles. The '64 set sounds great in all three positions and is a great all around set. The SD A2 is a twang monster but lacks the mids of the Jerry Donahue.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You can't go to the bank on any of the supposed common characteristics of any of these wood types. Could a rosewood boarded 2 piece neck (encapsulated rod) sometimes be warmer than the old skunk stripe approach. Sure, why not?

But IF any of this hocus pocus does pan out, the alder would be "milder" and with less personality, and when rosewood is different (like on a one piece rosewood neck) the darker colored wood doesn't sound darker - it might sound brighter. Or, it might just sound unpleasant.

I thought quack was in the relationship (location wise) between 2 pickups?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.