Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by ChicknPickn, May 14, 2009.
I mean anything..lol
I used Bartleys, unthinned. Applied it and used a plastic scraper across the grain. Dry, then sand off the surface to bare wood, Thought is looked and felt good after 2 or 3 coats. Found out different when I started to spray. Multiple coats of Nitro sand and sealer followed by finsished coats filled in most if the grain
I did the same thing, got most of the grain filled with GF, then shot 2 cans of sanding sealer and sanded it most off which filled the rest of the grain. I only have a few areas where the finish looks pitted.
I used Crystalac Clear grain filler on my Zebrawood project. It did an excellent job.
Just an update - - I decided to try some cyanoacrylate. I am amazed. I think that, for filling in the stubborn grain, this might be the ticket. I tried both the gel and liquid forms of CA, decided that the liquid, surprisingly enough, is the better way to go. It sinks in better, and you have more time to work with it. The stuff is pretty hard, and tough to sand. After leveling it, I sprayed a couple of coats of shellac. Looks like a mirror now. Ready to paint. Unfortunately, humidity has arrived in Virginia in a big way, so I might have to find a climate controlled place where I can do the work.
Doesn't using cyanoacrylate get pretty expensive?
I used a few tablespoons of Bartley's (natural & light mixed 3:1) on each side of this Ash body ...
After one round of the grain filler and one coat of sanding sealer, there were some low spots left (bright areas) after sanding ...
After two sanding sealer coats, looks like I got it ...
Now, just a touch of sanding at 320 (fast becoming my favorite mid-duty grit!) to knock down that orange peel, and she'll be ready for Nitro clear ...
That big knot blemish on the upper left is starting to bug me ... thinking about a decal under the Nitro to cover that up. Maybe a strapping young cowgirl ... or a desert rose ... hmmm ...
You would think so, but the stuff goes a long way. In my case, I'd already done some filling with an oil-based paste, but there was still open grain showing. It was deep enough to catch one's fingernail. I was spot filling with the CA. What was surprising to me was that the CA actually seemed to "bloom." This isn't a scientific observation, but the more I worked with it, using the edge of a credit card, the more of it there seemed to be. Five or six drops turned out to be much more than I needed for working an area maybe 8-12 inches square. I'm curious whether others have seen the same thing. The odor is intense. I put on the respirator when my nostrils started burning.
I was quite impressed by how easily the "gullies" were filled in with this stuff. I would still prefer to do the bulk of the work using shellac and paste, but when the going gets tough, I think this might be the preferred solution. I'll add that the stuff is hard - - not easy to sand.
That's looking real nice, Mudbean. I wouldn't worry about that beauty mark. If nothing else, it makes the guitar easier to identify if it gets stolen.
That's what Surf Green is for, mud.
Oh, man ... I'll save the Alder for that.
I can send you a transfer to use of my wife. I'll try to find an old one. Now she looks alot like me.