ash ash & ash....

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by funkymann1, Feb 7, 2015.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

just picked up 2 boards at a local wood place that says on their website everything they sell is Kiln dried...didnt pay much attention till i got home that one board is much whiter then the other...the darker one almost has a red color to it....thing is the whiter one is much easier to cut thru & is much lighter..the darker one is like a tank!....is it safe to say its much more dryed out? or is it possible there are so many kinds of ash that they could be from different trees?...they came off the same pallet at the wood place & the grain is very similar...
    just amazing how EVERYTHING you do in building can become a learning experience...all the way from picking your wood...next time i know to look for the whiter color boards...

2. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

There are lots of reasons you could get that effect. Given the difference in colour it sounds to me like they are from a different tree. Without knowing the size of the pallet or anything I would see no reason to expect all of the wood on a pallet to be from the same tree. The wood yard I often go to has pallets in which there is no way all of the wood would be from a single tree given the pallet size.
    The most likely reason for the difference colour I can think of is a different soil composition, and this can happen even with trees growing quite close to each other, as can having trees with wood of different densities.
    I would expect if the issue was one in which one of the planks was less dry you would be able to sense that, rather than it just being harder to cut, so my guess is that it is down to the planks rather than the drying.

3. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

It could also be heartwood vs. sapwood.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I built boats in the '80s and the shop would sell the darker ash to us for 1/2 price because they only used the very whitest for trim, since it was to match the very white veneer on bulkheads.
    A pile from the same yard had huge variation in color and weight, more dark and heavy than light and light, moisture not being a factor.

I built an oak (!!) body in the '80s from a well seasoned board maybe 8' long, using each end because the grain patterns looked bookish, but when I planed the glued up blank, the two pieces were different colors.
    Wood can be very uncooperative stuff.
    But we love it anyhow.

5. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

6. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

It could be, but white ash is the same as Northern ash, I think, and it's supposed to be pretty hard and heavy. I have used white ash and what I had wasn't heavy, but it was pretty hard to cut through.

7. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

here are some picks of both sides after i joined them...sorry for the weird shapes...i cut it somewhat to the templates before i join them since my planer is only 13 inches.., then i cut to the template completely after......maybe might be sapwood vs heartwood but when i google it, it says sapwood would be the heavier whiter one but in this case the whiter wood is much lighter & easier to cut......

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.