1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ASAT Classic "S"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by superjam144, Jan 24, 2021.

1. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

Actually, he’s in the “ Other T-types” forum. And my ASAT Signature Classic with a Tom Anderson bridge pup and a Duncan Vintage Stack in the neck is the best Tele I’ve ever played. And I’ve played a few.

superjam144, Henley and Cali Dude like this.
  2. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

I'm with you thebowl...I own 5 Fender tele's, multiple config's. They sound fantastic,. but my butterscotch G&L Classic puts them down. I suppose it's time to start selling the Fenders.

superjam144 and Cali Dude like this.
  3. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I own an Asat Classic S. It's a fine guitar and has been my number 1 guitar since I got it.
    The MFD pickups sound great, and provide great clarity and detail from string to string. The bridge pickup on mine sounds as good as any telecaster bridge pickup. The neck pickup reminds of a telecaster neck, but it is a clearer, slightly brighter tone. The middle pickup is a great-sounding MFD pickup, and the neck+middle/middle+bridge pickups can yield some very convincing strat tones, too.

The main difference with the G&L Asat Classic S and the Nashville Deluxe, is that the Asat allows for one to use the classic neck+bridge pickup, via a push-pull pot. This also means that the Asat Classic S can activate all three pickups at once. The MFD pickups haver hotter output compared to traditional alnico pickups, but they do clean and dirty tones very well.

You can't go wrong with G&L guitars - they're very well built, sound terrific, and can keep up with higher-end fender guitars all day long. :) 20181230_212118.jpg

4. Tygr60

Tygr60 TDPRI Member

Hah. My cheap ASAT Tribute Blues Boy is my new number one. IMG_6930.JPG

Tall-Fir, superjam144 and Cali Dude like this.
  5. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

So I wandered down to the GC. It was a long drive from the job, but it was worth it.

I did not buy the guitar... It was the most beautiful guitar I have ever laid eyes on, but I could not get with the pickups for some reason. They are way more strat like than tele, and I think that is why I ultimately left it on the wall.

I played it for at least 30 to 45 minutes in a private room with my favorite amp.. (BJR)

The neck is thinner than I am used to as well, but I could adapt to that. The neck was similar to my old american standard tele. I don't typically like body cuts and belly cuts, but those also, I could get used to, and the guitar was very light, and small, easy to handle.

The versatility that I expected was not as profound as I would have believed... To me the pulling out of the volume pot did little to interest me sound wise... I would most likely play it like a tele, utilizing the 3 positions, neck, mid, and bridge.. The pickups sounded very boomy and clear as can be.. But for some reason I was left feeling like they were missing something. At the end of the day, the pickups just were not what I was looking for. They were powerful, but lacked that edge/character that my OVs seem to have.

It was a 2007 and was NEVER set up in 14 years of ownership... The strings looked like they were put on by a nine year old 2 years ago. I asked the tech to do a set up on the guitar and let me try it next weekend, but it was against company policy as set ups are 50 dollars at least, and only done on sold or owned guitars. The fact is the guitar techs work like slaves and don't get paid even as much as the salespeople! What a shame... I pleaded with him to set it up so I could test it out again, but to no avail... They were already flooded with work, and unable to help with a used prospect for a potential buyer.

It will sell quick anyway, what a beauty... I could feel the years on the instrument.. it was never cared for, or ever maintained properly, in 14 years... A good set up might be all she needs, and the tech assured me that he will oil the fretboard, tighten up the hardware, and completely adjust and fine tune it/intonate/lower the atrocious action.

I couldn't help but wonder if I would have bought it, if it had been set up, and the clerks agreed with me that all of their guitars should be set up, but it was the company's ruthless policy that keeps their instruments feeling dead and lifeless until a buyer actually purchases it and pays the additional fee for a full set up.

IMG_20210125_183744.jpg IMG_20210125_184011.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Tall-Fir and Cali Dude like this.
  6. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

That's the lamest excuse of costumer service I've literally ever heard. I'd put whatever strings you wanted on it and have a tech quickly adjust the action while you counted your money for me. Whether you ended up liking the guitar or not would not matter,. I'd find you another guitar.

superjam144 likes this.
  7. superjam144

I've lost a lot of respect for GC... I was naive to try and do business with them again...

8. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

If you played exclusively on the center pickup of a Strat :eek: back when you played a Strat (middle pickup seems more in your face) then a Nashville makes sense.

superjam144 likes this.
  9. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

One nice thing about G&Ls is their neck options because when you order new you can choose.

One bad thing about G&Ls is their neck options because when you buy used you may not like the choice.

Cali Dude and superjam144 like this.
  10. Tonemonster

Tonemonster TDPRI Member

I have a tribute classic, which I convert to a classic S. I love that thing. Very flexible awesome Tones.. Fat clear huge, with vol up, roll a bit back and there is the vintage flaw of a Tele an Strat..

IMG_20210104_204911.jpg

superjam144, Tall-Fir and Cali Dude like this.
  11. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

Great looking guitar IMHO. The rosewood neck looks beautiful on white. My 2007 sunburst Classic S has a fat gun oiled neck which I absolutely love. It’s the nicest, best looking, best sounding, best playing G&L I have, and I own five ASAT Classics.

I’m curious, what was the asking price? Let me guess—$1100?

Tonemonster and superjam144 like this.
  12. superjam144

Yes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.