1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ASAT Classic "S"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by superjam144, Jan 24, 2021.

1. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Anyone have one? How are they?

Guitar Center has a used one near me in white, with a rosewood board.. I've been eyeing them for some time, and it seems an amazing coincidence that a used one in good condition in that color with a rosewood board would pop up.

The 3 MFD pickups seem really nice. I will be going down to check it out obviously, but anyone have thoughts on these?

How are those MFD single coils?? Are they more like a strat or a tele?

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 10.24.20 PM.png

2. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

Never been a fan of the "Nashville Tele's". I know it's super versatile but are you sure you didn't just want a Strat to begin with lol? Nobody puts a Tele bridge and pup configuration on a Strat body. *whistling...

howardlo and superjam144 like this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Personally I’ve come to the conclusion that middle pickups are pointless. And I’m not a fan of the look on a t style. But ymmv, and g&l makes a nice guitar.

4. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Well, I did....

But I’m definitely in the minority.

@superjam144, I’ve always thought the MFD pickups sort of between Strat and Tele. I know someone with an ASAT with the MFD who gets amazing Tele tones out of the bridge pickup, and some pretty sweet sounds from the neck.

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. Cadillac_Mike

You put a Tele bridge on a Strat body, pics?

6. Cadillac_Mike

I love middle pups on electric guitars because IMO they give the best "acoustic guitar" tone. When you think about it the soundhole on an acoustic is in the middle.

Cali Dude and superjam144 like this.
  7. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I often pine for one of those nashville style ASATs. The 2 and 4 positions are very usable if you play a lot of rhythm guitar- especially with that 70's and 80s dance pop. I see them come up on craigslist from time to time. I've heard the MFD pups can sound P90ish but I've never owned one.

It looks like a good one, you should get it!

EDIT: make sure there's not too much fret wear before you buy a used guitar.

8. superjam144

The push volume pot allows 7 different tonal options. Very versatile guitar. I guess I will have to hear it myself in person, if I decide to take the trip down there.

Thanks for the info.

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I’ve posted this several times, but I can’t remember where so, here ya go. The trem is a (now out of production) Glendale piece with their Tele saddles. The Trem is decked.

upload_2021-1-24_20-55-0.jpeg

gregulator450 and Jakedog like this.
  10. superjam144

I know, but strat bodies are too bulky for me and less ergonomic. I've been interested in putting a strat neck pickup in my tele for some time now. The tele neck pickup has been my friend, but I have noticed how nice it would be to have an extra option.

The tele neck pickup has a dull sad sound to it almost, nothing really comes close to it's sound, which is useful for me as a musician, but the strat neck pickup has a savory deep flavor that is really unmatched as well. Having both would be really cool.

This ASAT strangely popped up having the best of both worlds so to speak, but in MFD fashion.

We will see if I actually check it out for real...

11. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Go play it...my classic out plays my Fenders. Decide then.

superjam144 likes this.
  12. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I have a two-pickup ASAT Classic and I agree that the bridge MFD pickup is (about 90%) Tele-like while the neck MFD pickup gets closer to a Strat tone. There’s more midrange than vintage/standard-style Tele pickups so a little P-90 flavour in there too.

Never tried a Nashville-style ASAT with MFDs myself but I am curious how they sound. I’m not much of a Strat guy anymore these days, though.

superjam144 likes this.
  13. Bangdapoontwang

Bangdapoontwang Tele-Meister

Love the middle pickup on mine. Very musical. Reminds me of the middle pickup on a Eric Johnson Strat. Sounds great by itself. 3DE36E06-F274-44D3-A3F6-DBD047BC8F9A.jpeg

14. superjam144

Wow, what a guitar.

Henley likes this.
  15. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

They really are great guitars. I had one years ago. I ended up trading it for a G&L asat Z-3. You can get Tele sounds, stratty sounds, and combo sounds with the push pull knob. It's a super versatile axe. I would rather have the asat you are looking at than a real Tele.

superjam144 and Jakedog like this.
  16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I've demoed a couple of them - one in a local dealer and later I got one in from Guitar Center (back when they used to spec out G&Ls to keep in stock). The one at the local dealer had the MFDs, I like the sound of it but MFDs are a broader spectrum pickup than an alnico pickup - they don't have the tonal hump you find on an alnico. Also the one at the store had their old #1 neck (now called the "Classic C" neck) which I don't care for; it's a little too thick in taper and has too much shoulder for my tastes so it was a non-starter.

The one I got from Guitar Center was the alnico pickup version - I found that I don't care for their alnico pickups; they are kind of muddy to my ears - or at least this guitar, which was an ash body/maple neck, was very muddy. Also good old GC had the wrong specs - it was supposed to have no body contours, Slim C neck shape and a satin finished neck but the one that came in had contours, Classic C neck with their 70s-approved gloss urethane finish. While I liked the body contours the pickups and neck lead me to return it very quickly.

I would love to get my hands on one with the MFDs and the Modern Classic neck shape (their current standard/default neck) with the satin finish.

superjam144 likes this.
  17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Dude, you're in the Tele forum! Keep that chatter down, it's like shouting obscenities!

howardlo, superjam144 and Cali Dude like this.
  18. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Probably true, lol.

superjam144 likes this.
  19. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I never met a USA ASAT I didn't like and I especially like the more unique versions like this. They are familiar yet bring something just a bit different to the table.

green_henry, superjam144 and Henley like this.
  20. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Bang I'm digging that tele big time.

superjam144 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.