1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As promised our first two songs.....

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Nov 30, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Thank you!!!

2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Just looking at this post again - you are too hard on yourself. What are you doing it for? If you want to shoot to the top of the pops, you better get an agent and a record deal. If you want to get gigs, clean up a few little things like snipping off the silence at the beginnings, take some band pics, set up a bandcamp page, and start selling the band. And get an amp that is good for gigging.

You mentioned better gear and 1-2k wish list. If you want "better, more versatile" and cheap, get a Katana 100 - it has loads of great built in effects, sounds good, and is loud enough for gigging and on craigslist they go for $200. Got the GAFC footswitch too, if you do. Next purchase would be a sturdy vocal mic - Shure SM58 or Sennheiser E835. That would be my choice in your shoes. If you want a better playing guitar for cheap, look at used PRS SEs, Yamahas, and Peaveys for a start, depending on what you're after. $300 will get you a nice playing and sounding guitar if you look around. Unfortunately it's hard to find a MIM for $300 anymore, and the squier CV and VMs you might as well buy new considering nobody is cutting deals on them.
    So it depends on what your goals are, really, where you want to spend money or if you really want to spend any money.

3. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I don't really plan to gig these songs. I just like recording and sharing with friends and family. Right now I'm playing bass in a country western band doing covers and that's enough for live playing. I don't plan to get rich or climb any charts. I do want to make them sound good enough for people to hear them. Which probably should include cutting off the extra stuff in the front. The next three songs we've done since these first two I think sound a heck of a lot better. Two more will be up soon. And the 5th song I think is even better than those two. I think we're getting better at recording as we go. I'm sure soon we will hit a wall. LOL. Cuz we were starting at such a low level. LOL.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not exactly sure about what to get better first. Amp or Guitar. I like them both just enough that it's not a huge necessity. But playing other guitars has put a bug in my bonnet. And just the idea of getting different sounds for different songs. You may not be able to tell from the first two songs but one of my things is to try and record different styles. It may not end up totally translating and I try to keep my own sound in all of them but I like variety in music. I find it sometimes boring when a band has a similar sound and format for all songs on an album. That being said, sometimes that's good too though. Just depends on the band I guess.

The CV Jazzmaster I played last week felt very good. I don't see CV's in shops though... But I'm mainly going to my music go rounds lately. I have been in a few shops that sell new stuff. I played a Vintera 50's Tele in one in the Fiesta red and that was a very nice playing guitar. I could live with that one.

Saving my pennies. Problem is I'm a little concerned by how much time I'm putting into my bass I may need a fret job at some point..... Which means I may need a 2nd bass to have one to play while it's down. We will see. I'm a bit worried about looking into the size of the frets and all that cuz I may find that to be the case. It's not buzzing or dead frets yet and still plays nice. LOL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.