1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As promised our first two songs.....

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Nov 30, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I want to make a lot of excuses and I'm sensitive, so go on easy on me please. LOL. I mean if you have mean or harsh comments I'd rather you not.

I do know that the recordings are not that great. I'm just learning how to do any recording. The only recordings I've ever had like control of was with simple 4 track stuff in the 90's. So there is very little mixing and engineering going on. LOL. So both my drummer and I figure it's a learn as you go proposition and the early songs I knew weren't going to be that good.

For the song I did for my Mom's Birthday (70X7), we both had a cheap CAD USB mic. The second song I did for my Son's birthday(FASTFORWARD20) I had a friend loan me an SM58 and an M-Audio interface which upped my sound tremendously on the vocals, bass and guitar. But the drummer still had the usb mic. He then bought a presonus interface and an SM58 (yes I know I know everyone loves 57's, I like 58's) and he also had an AKG mic in his plethora of music stuff. So now we're doing 2 tracks of good mics and it sounds a heck of a lot better for the drums. The reason we didn't spend more time mixing and mastering or any effects cuz we were under a time crunch with these. I wanted to play them for their birthdays. My Mom's was October 27th and my Son's was the 31st.

We are into our 5th song almost done tracking and the sounds of 3,4 and 5 are getting better. 3 and 4 will be posted at Christmas I think. Or around there. First of the year type thing.

Maybe I could run those by you Chulai Vet in their current state. I got them about as far as I want to or can but they're definitely not "mastered" by any means. LOL. I have a cousin that lives 3 hours from me that can do that but I need to figure out how to do all that. I guess the best way would be to put the files on a thumb drive and send it to him. Plus he said he did that to the first two and got them nominally better but it was only with the wav file of the whole song. And I think he's busy cuz I haven't really heard from him since....

Anyways... As far as the playing goes, yeah I don't know. It's good enough for me. Neither one of us will claim to be any great musicians. We're both self taught and I'm not sure how good I taught myself. LOL. I mean I would learn from other people along the way and paid for about 4 lessons when I was 19 and learned some scales. I should have maybe kept going with that but I was too busy making music. And for me rhythm guitar and writing songs and singing is where I put my time when I was younger. I mostly have played bass and drums in my adult life in churches. A little guitar. But this year I wanted to make music again, and a drummer I used to play with in the early 90's was down with it.

So that's my explanation. Yeah, we could be tighter but we only played together in the same room one afternoon and the rest has been over the airwaves. So we're not as tight as we used to be and learning how to play with a click track and not each other is a bit new for us....

Our plans is to always put up 2 songs together. In the spirit of a 45 record. LOL.

Oh yeah, lyrics for the first song go like this (the second video is the lyrics)

FASTFORWARD20

Every time I think I'm not gonna make it, I totally think of you
    all you do all we've done all the fun that we had
    So many stories
    When I got used to the idea that you were comin
    I was sooo soooo proud, just ask your mom

As I sit here not knowing if my parts are knitted together properly
    and you're in the other room
    I wish I could take away the pain the imprints that the bad times leave
    You're gonna figure it out, I see you

You've got good things You've got good things You've got good things comin
    (repeated 2 more times)

A Side :)

B Side :eek:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

These are quite good! Can't wait to hear more from you!

3. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I like your songs, so thank you for sharing! I write and record myself but not brave enough to put them anywhere public!

The easiest way to get the files to your cousin would be to use a file transfer service such as WeTransfer.Com.

I received 1.5Gb of drums tracks via WeTransfer. Much easier and quicker than sending by post unless your internet service is very bad.

chulaivet1966 and FortyEight like this.
  4. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Well thank you SO much. That means a lot to me.

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Thank you very very much and you are very welcome. My internet does suck. LOL. But thank you for the tip. Although many times during the day I'm the only one on it. My wife uses a separate internet service for her work. My son sleep super late he's 20 and works afternoons and evenings and my Daughter is doing her homeschooling. So there are times I could send stuff and be the only one gobbling up bandwidth.

6. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, after a page full of apologies, they turned out better than I expected :0)
    The vocals a great match and that is a very good start. The rest just suffers a little from nerves and lack of practice - so at this stage I would say you have a good thing going on here!
    Top tip - recording is very intensive and pretty stressful (it is for me anyway!) so it's a good idea to leave your recordings alone for a day or so... that will give you a much more objective viewpoint when you go back to listening to them. Always try to hear what everyone else is doing - that's not easy, as you tend to get obsessed with your own parts... All these things get better with practice - record rehearsals if you can, be critical of yourself and let everybody have a chance at ideas...
    Good work!

7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Yeah I don't really think I'm nervous when I record. Most of the time. I do get that way if I keep messing up and take like 5, 6 times to do a take.

What youre hearing is probably more like..... an unrefined character. It's partly my character and philosophy. I'm just not willing to do it til it's "perfect". I'm not a pro and don't have aspirations to be. Plus we are more sloppy than when we played together 3 times a week in the 90's. That's just not going to be avoided. Some of the songs coming up feel a bit tighter, maybe......

As far as having other people have a say... it's just me and the drummer. I'm trying to involve other people but that's not as easy as it sounds. I did get a friend to do a piano intro on the song we're doing now and I think it works well. But I've tried to involve other piano players, guitarists and a bass player and it just hasn't happened yet. Everyone has stuff going on. Some of them are already in other bands too. A bass player tried to do some tracks but he's pretty busy and he doesn't have a good set up. He never really got a full track done before I wanted to have these two done.

tintag27 likes this.
  8. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Good luck with the rest of your songs. I've subscribed on YouTube so shall listen when you upload further songs.

9. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Cool!!! If you ever want to share yours you could with me. I feel like I try to be encouraging to all. Plus seems like most anyone who plays is our own worst critic.

I try to do different styles. They all kind of fall into the general "rock" category. But that might be a loose interpretation of what I do... I don't know. I like all kinds of music and you might hear more than just rock influences in other songs.

My goal is to just bless the people around me. Some might not feel blessed after listening but it really is my only aim. I mean of course I like to hear from people they like it. But we don't plan to make money. We just want to leave a mark in our own little part of the world. And share our love for music. And hopefully bring a smile to someone's face for a moment. Or even better somehow make someone's day better or even inspire them to do their own music or art or whatever. Or comfort. Life is short. And can be incredibly difficult at times. No doubt music helps us through it and deal.

gregulator450 likes this.
  10. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ha....that creep!
    His music sucks and his mixes are even worse.

But...I'll chime in. :)

Howdy 48.....
    I gave both a spin and they are fine songs considering your expressed qualifications.

Based on those 'qualifications' here's my subjective thoughts:
    1) The vocals are up front where they are supposed to be.
    2) Your vocal deliverance was just fine.
    3) I hear no overt timing issues which always jump out at me as I started out as a drummer.
    4) Knowing there's always room for improvement with all of us the musicianship was fine in these songs especially considering the possible recording environment distractions, lack of ability to get together frequently enough and any time constraints.
    5) The ONLY aspect of your recordings that needs a massaging is the mixes.
    That's academic and we get better at 'mixing' by doing more of it and listening to how others mix their material
    Pick a song you like....listen to it carefully and note how the vocals/instrumentation is positioned within the song.

They are a bit inconsistent level wise and panning should be scrutinized further.
    On FastForward it sounds like the lead vox/rhythm guitar is panned hard left and the bass gets drowned out.
    On BryansBraun the mix is more balanced but still needs revisiting along with losing the 18 seconds of silence in the intro. :)

These are good personal writes and you should feel good about them.
    It's only the mix techniques that need some addressing.
    I encourage you (all) to muster up the courage to ask for assistance in this context.
    If I think I can help (in all my subjectivity) someone considering the genre they write in I usually chime in.

Hmm....transferring files to your mate.
    I'd recommend sign up with Dropbox or Google Drive. (free I might add)
    You can upload files (and FOLDERS with Dropbox) and share them via email....don't need to do the thumb drive thing.
    I've used both but over the last year mainly Dropbox with Ken (Klasaine) on my songs.
    I send him the .wav files....he does his thing and sends me his tracks....pretty cool if you ask me.
    NOTE: should you go that route: make sure ALL your individual track levels are at about -12db or so and that the track recording starts at the very beginning of the track so they are all synced up for whoever receives them.

Ok....enough of my verbose-ness.
    I hope that helps....you should feel fine about these first recording efforts.
    This song writing/recording hole we've climbed into is no easy journey...but, we should enjoy it anyway....creative therapy.

EDIT:...what Skully said. I forgot to mention recording a real trap set.
    Recording drums requires some patience and finding best mic placement with some experimenting.
    It doesn't require as many mics as many may think.

Carry on....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  11. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I really like 'em! Real songs with actual arrangements! Your vocals on the first song sound very McCartney-esque to me.

The only thing I would say is work on refining your drum sound, which is a challenging thing, I know. I love that you have live drums. In some ways, what's imperfect about them make the recording better.

12. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Darn... I'd rather sound like John. LOL. :lol: But for realz thank you for that super kind comment. Funny story... Back in the day a friend did a remake of Love Rita Meter Maid and they wanted me to sing it and I was like I don't think I would do it well. I cringe cuz it was a good recording and I was flat at times and it irritates me. But the part i nailed was the airy part John was doing in the background of the segways type spots. Lovely Rita meter maid, Lovely Rita meter maid. Both lines, the harmony and the main line. I liked that part. But I didn't do Paul's part that great. IMHO. That's a hard song to sing. LOL.

The drum sounds on the next songs we recorded are TONS better. I mean tons. It's amazing what a good mic or two and good interface will do over a 50 dollar CAD mic. They were simple to use and good thing to get started but sound like.... not real? Sort of. I guess.

@chulaivet1966 I hear all of what you're saying. You mean you don't love the super long silenced intros? You can hear my drummer rotate on his throne every time and on the song you mentioned (70X7) you can hear his wife putting dishes in the sink. LOL. Yeah, I gotta figure out how to tighten those up. I will work on that.

I have the bass panned hard right exactly opposite the guitar in FASTFORWARD20 and I kind of liked it that way. But your right it doesn't translate as well in all formats. I can hear it in my headphones but it is more subdued.

And yeah, because I'm afraid to ruin any tracks I haven't done any up and down on just certain spots of a track volume wise. In audacity once you change it, it's changed. So I gotta start making a copy after all the tracks are in, then be bold and experiment with some adjustment of areas of levels of a certain track. And then also maybe some effects. I'm not really super into effects but to be sure the vocals could maybe use a little bit of reverb. And some things might do well to be compressed. But like I say, I've not done any of that yet and I'm like..... do I do I? It seems really complicated to do if you can't undo. I mean... once you do one track and then move onto another, changing the next track will change how the first track you changed sounds and then you might want to tweak that one but it's already changed and it's possible it didn't need as much change as you did. You get me?

I don't know if I got the patience or time for all that. I've been thinking about ways to try and introduce some affects on the front end. I might try to run my vocals through a pedal while recording. On the 4th song I ran a flanger on the bass. Just a slight amount but I think it translated well. I did it with a pedal. For some reason I feel more warm and fuzzy about doing it on the front end than after the fact with some effect in audacity that I have no clue how it's gonna sound. But I guess I need to get out of my comfort zone at some point.

1 critical guitar question... At least on the second song do you think it sounds like cheap guitars and amp? I'm not completely unhappy with the results but I keep thinking I want to invest in a better guitar and amp. I'm not really sure it's necessary or not. I kind of like how it sounds. But I've been trying all different kinds of combinations to see what I like. The last song I did I went direct out from my Rumble 40, for my guitar on two guitar parts. And I kind of liked the sound. But I wouldn't say I loved it. LOL. It just dawned on me I could go direct from my Vox into the interface if I use a 1/4 jack. But I'm not sure if I would like the sound over micing it. I personally like micing a speaker in general. I think it gives a warmer sound than direct.

In a world where I had 1-2K extra I would have a Mexican Tele, some decent amp and probably a humbucker equipped guitar. Or a humbucker and a P90. Like an SG or maybe a Les Paul Jr. with a humbucker on the bridge and a p90 in the neck. Or maybe more like the double cut Les Paul.

IDK. Or a Jazzmaster with humbuckers. Something like that. Want to contribute to my needs? LOL. Ugh. Money.

Skully likes this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

These are charming songs! I like the lo-fi aspect of it and I don't know if making them more pro-sounding will improve things. It sounded like on the the first tune, part of the kit was a trash can lid or something - I thought that was kinda cool.

As far as whether it sounds like a "cheap guitar and amp" I don't know what "cheap" sounds like, and as you know, the listener doesn't care at all about what gear you used. It's if it sounds cool or not. Yours sounds cool.

tintag27 and FortyEight like this.
  14. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ha...well, one doesn't want to risk losing a potential listener of the complete song with too long an intro. :)

1) Yes, I would address/mitigate those sorts of recording artifacts.

2) The way you have them panned doesn't work for me given my decades old recording techniques/habits.
    But, I'll say this....there's no right or wrong in this context.
    If you like it that way, your contributors like it that way and it sounds great on your system then that's your creative license.
    If you did have aspirations beyond most of us here then you'd have to rethink some aspects.

3) I never 'mix' on headphones. I always start by mixing at very low volume on my 3" near fields.
    Then, if I think I've arrived at a good 1st mix I'll fire up the 8" KRK's at low to moderate volume and go from there.
    If the 1st mix sucks...back to low volume on the 3"ers for the 2nd mix.

4) Absolutely, I think it's a good idea to go beyond the threshold of one's 'comfort zone'. A good way to excel at our craft.

5) No....I couldn't tell the difference even if I tried. Guitar sounds fine to me.

I'm glad you followed through and posted them up and you should feel good about these efforts.
    Hope that helps and keep up the good work....you're on a roll.

Carry on....

FortyEight likes this.
  15. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I like them. They are charmingly low-fi, and I mean that as a compliment. It is my kind of music. Very sweet lyrics too. I'd like to hear more.

Chevalier and FortyEight like this.
  16. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Oooooooo, I like that term "lo-fi". I'm not really sure what that means but... They're never going to be great quality. Like on the radio or professionally done cuz I don't have the equipment, time, money, experience, know how to do any of that.

Locally I have a guy that I used to play with in the 90's and at the time he was building a studio. Well he stuck with it and does it for a living. When I contacted him about how much it would cost to record with him or even just have him master a song, I was like, I'm out. Can't afford that. I will do it crappily on my own and live with it. I have no aspirations of being a rock star with these. I just want to get these down in a way that I'm happy with and can share them with people to hopefully brighten their day or make their day more interesting. If people's expectations are for me to only post music that sounds like it was done in a zillion dollar environment, they can go pack sand. I'm sure some will expect that though and probably tell me so. LOL.

The drums were all played on a kit, that's just how bad the USB mic made it sound. LOL. The newer songs are waaaaaay better for the drum kit sound. And just the sound overall.

Thanks for the tips on the guitar sound. I might not feel the need to get better stuff now. I've consternated over this. I still will probably want to get a better guitar for the sake of how it plays. And maybe a better amp. But I kind of like the fact that it's not expensive gear and maybe that like you guys say, has some kind of charm or uniqueness to it.

Personally I've always struggled with how a guitar sounds on it own. I far prefer listening to bass cuz it's just smooth and low and pleasing to the ears. In all honesty most times guitars sound kind of.... harsh to my ears on their own. But when you put them in a mix it does seem to work. Of course an acoustic I love the sound of. I just don't love playing them as much as electrics.

There is more coming. Songs 3 and 4 are completely done and the 5th one is getting close. But we always plan to do two at a time. So I know which one I'm doing for the 6th but haven't started in on it yet. This week I'm preparing intensely for my country western band gig on saturday night. LOL. Lots of bass playing of country songs for me this week.

17. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted

Great to hear some new songs and mixes here! I like what I am hearing and agree with other commenters that some improvements in the mixes can be made, but a lot of ground has been covered by the others. So, I will refrain from posting more. If you proceed to work on the mix, do not hesitate to post the revised mixes here. Eager to hear these recordings develop.

18. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Nice work, not sure about the instrument placement on Forward 20 but like everything a mix is a personal choice to match your vision.

The bass sounds a bit farty and floppy down low, does it have light strings ?

Listening to them made me think of a couple of indie songs that I like a lot, your songs don't sound like them but I could hear their mix styles fitting your songs

I won't link them so as to not pollute the thread but folks who are curious will find them on YT

New Slang - The Shins
    The Way - Fastball

Let's hear what else you have in the pipeline

FortyEight likes this.
  19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Yeah, I agree with the bass assessment. I play the same bass on all my songs but I have tried different ways of recording it. I think I mic'd my rumble 100 that time. I will have to look at my notes. I don't think it happens on all songs like that and it may be the way I had it panned so hard to the right. Well actually my interface records a single channel left or right depending on what input and I either leave it that way or have to make it a mono track and pan it where I like.

I thought it would make sense to have the rhythm guitar on one side and the bass on the other and I for sure here the bass panned in some beatles songs. Heck they even pan the drums at times. I'm not sure I totally dislike the sound, but at the same time I don't really disagree with the assessment. It may sound better if it was panned to the middle. But it also might be the way I recorded it. IDK.

I will have to check out those mentioned.

I don't really try to sound like anyone in particular, but it's inevitable I'm sure. This song for some reason seems to bring that reaction to people. The song leader at my church said it reminded him of the lemon heads. And the piano player at church called it a "ska" song and that it had a hint of No Doubt. LOL. It's all over the place with this one. I don't like the lemonheads and it's not ska. LOL. But everyone hears what they hear.

20. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

The songs are heartfelt and charming. Personally, I too like the 'Lo-Fi-ness' of the recordings... which make them sound rather unique... reminded me of The Strokes...

FortyEight likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.