As an ex-Ordnance Corp officer, I'm not sure......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Feb 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Were getting off subject, but yeah it was a tragically bad decision - risk verse gains.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

If I can control it from my car, I'm kind of interested... it would make the guy driving slow in the fast lane reconsider his lack of consideration.

3. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

If we design that weapon then we should figure out how to defend against it.

There are lot's of countries on Earth that would take a good idea and run with it on their own.

4. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

Sounds OK to me.....if "Puff The Magic Dragon" isn't on station.....send a swarm of his little buddies.
    Just make sure they hit the right grid square.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

If it could clear (strafe) a mine field, record all its placements on a geophysical
    grid in real time, etc, think how many limbs that would save of those folks that do it today.

Jim622 and sixstringbastard like this.
  6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, really...:(

With the rules of this forum I wonder how this is an 'okay' topic?

"No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here."

It seems to me at least two of these rules have been violated with this thread. I realize this is a cultural issue but not all of us share these cultural traits. I find this stuff incredibly offensive.

I couldn't post a video of a guy punching another guy....or (heaven forbid!) a bare naked person....but war & weaponry and the killing that ensues from that are all kosher somehow...to romanticize it even!! I mean, let's step back a second and consider the craziness of that!!

faulp, ghostwolf and pickaguitar like this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Which ones, and how?

8. Jim622

?. We each are entitled to his/her opinion, but I don't see the rationale.

9. boneyguy

Well, like I said it's a cultural issue isn't it. It's hard for many people to see outside a culture that they've been steeped in since birth. Does a fish know it's in water?...so to speak.

So, the link provided in the OP takes us to a page that's called 'The War Zone'...could that possibly contain at least hints of violence? And the weapon being talked about is being discussed by DARPA.....could that be slightly political in nature? Would it be a stretch to see hatred as included in these activities...if you declare someone an enemy (enough to want to kill them) then love, acceptance and understanding probably aren't the driving emotions. And I'm not a naive sentimentalist...war and violence may be appropriate actions under certain circumstances...but then again, so is sex and religious discussion yet neither of these are allowed here. So, again the question, how is this discussion allowed? My answer...cultural bias.

Here's a question: how is it that the first response to this weapon and it's probable use isn't a sense of repulsion and disbelief rather than a 12 year old boy's excitement and sense of power at holding a slingshot for the first time? (if kids even have slingshots anymore...??)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Drones = taking the Human factor out of the equation for operating in theater, but also = making war more acceptable/convenient.

Modern manned aircraft that don't have guns. Where have I heard that before? Oh yes, it was early Vietnam War that our aircraft only employed missiles instead of guns. Well the missiles didn't work as well as they had hoped and the enemy had guns. Gun pods were deployed til the next aircraft came with guns. So let's make the same mistake again, makes sense doesn't it?

Some one in the military brass thought that no guns would save money. Last time I checked, guns and the bullets cost a lot less that those missiles.

Drones can be a good thing to have, but I think we should take them out of Warfare. War is supposed to be Hell, not a everyday occurrence of convenience.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I miss Canada.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Jim622

I guess it is cultural. I don't understand Canada.

Unrelated, I bought my 8 year old grandson a slingshot last week. he can't touch it with out me. Take your shots.

13. boneyguy

We'll take you back.... :)

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. boneyguy

Yup...

15. boneyguy

Canada...it's just like the U.S...but without all the stuff...(to paraphrase a Steve Martin joke)... :)

But what I'm really addressing here is the TDPRI culture which has explicit written rules unlike most tribal cultures where the rules are implicit, most often unwritten and unconscious for most of it's participants.

brookdalebill and Zepfan like this.
  16. boneyguy

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Regarding Canada, you have to “try” it to get it.
    Big, beautiful, wide open, clean (comparatively), and civilized.
    I’m half Canadian.
    I lived and worked there for a dozen years.
    Anyways, visit Canada if you can.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe I've missed something, but I haven't read all the responses as romanticizing or endorsing this issue. To not recognize and discuss certain subjects is to bury our collective heads in the sand, and thus allow the real CRAZIES to have their way. As long as people are calm, rational, and tolerant of different opinions, I have no trouble with almost any subject.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

20. boneyguy

That's all well and good. Now here's a challenge. Post a video of people having sex or even just a picture of a naked person on this forum or post a religious topic. Start a conversation that is "calm, rational and tolerant of different opinions" about either of those things and we'll see how long either of these lasts. I think most of us reading this know the answer.

So, getting back to my original point, why is there an obvious bias in favour of discussions like the OP began. It's a moot point as to whether this discussion is "calm, rational and tolerant of different opinions", isn't it? How does it not violate the rules that are declared here?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.