1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As a long term Strat guy, what attracts you to the Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FluffyDog6, Jan 3, 2017.

1. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

I am a Tele player who's constantly attracted to the Strat (more of them in my playlists than Teles for sure) so recently I had the strat itch and went to swap my AV'64 with a Standard AM Strat. We met and plugged in and...well the Strat was everything I expected it to be...nice and stratty. But the other guy and I both had a huge grin on our faces once I plugged in my Tele.

JustABluesGuy and TMMC like this.
  2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Aren't those moments the best/worst/most frustrating?

3. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

The Telecaster is a stripped down guitar, an instrument that is perfect for the working musician, to express his or her feelings on the guitar. It can be twangy, mellow, or it can scream. It has everything you need and nothing you don't. :)

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Like many of us, I suspect, I've see-sawed between strats and teles over the years. I'm currently a tele man, and the strats have been moved on.

Three reasons, firstly I used to play in a duo with a guy who had a very good strat and a very good tele. I was playing acoustic and doing the vocals. The strat sounded fine, however one day he bought the tele along instead, and suddenly I could hear every little thing, every nuance, every note that we were playing and singing. The tele just sounded "right" and didn't get in my way. We couldn't go back to the strat, whenever we tried to, it sounded as if there was cotton wool over our sound.

The second reason is that when I pick up a strat the sound is so beguiling, entrancing, and beautiful that I spend 20 minutes sounding like a poor imitation of Gilmour, or Rea, or Rory or Knopfler etc. Only when I've got that out of my system can I settle down and do some work. With a tele, I'm straight in the zone, no messing; I sound like me. So I get something done.

Thirdly that volume knob on the strat is a ***** nuisance. It's great for volume swells, but hopeless for my right hand technique. I realise that other players get round it, but I have never been able to. All my strats eventually had the volume knob removed and I just had a volume and tone. A bit like a tele!

jman72, StrangerNY and TMMC like this.
  5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Was looking for a hard tail strat. Took Home a modern player tele plus. A Whole lot cheaper and does the job

6. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Tele's just feel right, I own a strat only because it is too ugly to sell.....

After that, a Gibson SG with P90's.... no other guitars need to exist past the Tele and SG...

I do prefer a 12" fretboard radius on either guitar, I'm fixin' to try a 9.5" on my new tele that is coming in the mail.

GreatGaudy, jman72 and TMMC like this.
  7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

8. telecastertodd

telecastertodd Tele-Meister

I like the way it looks better. I'll be honest, if it's ugly to me, it won't matter how good a guitar sounds.

Shallow? Maybe, but I happen to love the sound of my telecasters, the twang, etc.

So it's kind of like my wife. I came for the looks and stayed because I actually liked her.

That leads to a set of related questions: If I didn't like the way it sounds, would I still like the way it looks? Or... Would I still play it no matter how it sounds?

Well, I am unprepared to answer those questions, and fortunately I don't have to- for guitar or wife.

EDIT: I would play a strat. I like the way they look too, but not as much.

9. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To me, it's like comparing a trumpet (Tele) to a sax (Strat). The Tele is more cutting, more mids. The Strat is more "reedy".

Believe it or not, I find a Tele to be more versatile (more sounds that I can use, anyway). The cutting bridge sound, round combined sound and warm neck sound all appeal to me.

I was nearly a Strat only player from the mid '80s until about the mid '00s. Once I found the right amp (a 5E3 clone) I latched onto the Tele and never looked back. Now I prefer a Tele over a Strat with any amp.

I still have a Strat for when I want Strat sounds. I can't imagine not having one.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

what attracts me to the tele instead of the strat?

it's like natural beauty vs. lots of make-up

plus, you can kill somebody with it

AngelDeville and StrangerNY like this.
  11. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

For me, the Telecaster is like coming home - everything is where it belongs and I instinctively know where to go and how to get whatever I need.

Give me a Telecaster with 2 pickups, a 3-way switch, volume and tone controls (one of each), and I can get all the sounds I need for just about anything I want to play. I disagree with anyone who says a Strat is more versatile than a Tele - at least in my hands and to my ears. And I actually find Tele's to be more comfortable than any other guitar, including the wonderfully shaped and sanded Strat. They just fit me better.

It's funny, I just went through this at the last trio gig we played in 2016. I brought my favorite Tele and my favorite Strat. Played the first set with the Tele. Grabbed the Strat for the 2nd set and after 3 songs I swapped it back for the Tele.
    Oh, I was glad I brought the Strat and I really enjoyed it for those 3 songs, but hitting those first notes after strapping the Tele back on reconfirmed (once again) that I am just a Tele Guy.
    And I'm quite alright with that.

12. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

On paper, so to speak, the Strat appears to have everything you need. Three pickups, 5 way switching, and tremolo but you will never get the sound of the Tele bridge pickup from the Strat. There is so much more to that pickup than just twang. Not only that, the neck pickup is unique as well. You cannot get those Jazz tones on a Strat. I'd like to get another Strat one day because they are versatile, but I MUST have a Tele. Accept no substitutes.

Dan R

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  13. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

I went to a guitar shop yesterday to try some amps but didn't take a guitar. They had some nice cs strats hanging on the wall and I spent a good hour trying it through different amps. Then I picked up a lower end tele, hit the lead channel on the bridge pickup and walked out with the amp there and then. There just is no other sound like it

sdd28772 likes this.
  14. Bradley-Jazz

Bradley-Jazz TDPRI Member

Teles are just cooler!

[​IMG]

15. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

I noticed the Tele players always had a cute gal with them. Me with only a common strat, could do no better with girls than our pimply bass player could.
    I bought a Tele and now the girls know Im so cool and fly. They flutter all around me during breaks and want me to give them private lessons.

16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I agree with Angel, teles just feel right, I don't like the extended horn on the strats, it's not really a cutaway, it starts at the same place the Tele does, it just extends the horn out which puts the guitar in a different position when standing.
    I like the slab body on a tele, it doesn't slide off your lap and when standing I wear mine low and nothing digs in, so the strat argument of more comfort doesn't apply to me.
    I like strats tonally, but my Bajas give me more sounds than the strat so that's not a selling point.
    I think the teles have a more robust in your face sound when pushed, and a sweet twangy bridge and sweet round neck pup, and the middle position is just a real cool mix of both, round and twangy or when pushed tough and raspy !
    I just got a classic fifties strat for Christmas which I love, but it's just a different flavor, the teles still rule !

AngelDeville likes this.
  17. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I like the sounds that come from both, but the physical layout of the Tele works better for me. The middle pickup of a strat is right where I pick, and I often hit the volume knob inadvertently. I love whammy and have become a Bigsby desciple. Also, I'm not a huge tone nut so I've never really found a use for the quack positions on a strat. I love the way they sound though

18. Graham Peterson

Graham Peterson TDPRI Member

I just like the feel and tone of a tele, and its simple interface. Doesn't take a lot of brains to work :) But I also play a surf green Am Std strat and a gibson SG standard. All three are super different in tone and feel. Between the three of them I have a 7.25, 9.5, and 12 inch radius. I find myself mostly playing my tele but whenever I'm in a rut picking up something different really helps. Different guitars bring different things out of you so I think it's really important to play whatever you can get your hands on. I like all my stuff for different reasons but a telecaster just feels like Old-Reliable

Nubs likes this.
  19. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

It just fits my short body better. The three way pickup switch and the neck also feel better to me. I love strats but the telecaster is the ultimate rock machine. It does not need any pedals or modifications to make it sound any different. Through a driven tube amp it is perfection.

20. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

You just got to love the simplicity of a slab of wood and a bolt on neck. Add a stellar sound, cool looks and the heritage on top. What more could you want?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.