1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As a long term Strat guy, what attracts you to the Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FluffyDog6, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

AndrewG and TMMC like this.
  2. KB11

KB11 TDPRI Member

There's just something about that bridge pickup being hung on a big chunk of steel with the bridge saddles attached that sounds different from any other guitar.
    The second reason is because everybody else plays a Strat!

3. GeoCaster

GeoCaster TDPRI Member

I own and love both tele's and strats. I prefer the Tele for many reasons, primarily because of the killer raunchy bite of the bridge pickup, but also because I love the tone of the 'both' pickup position on the tele, which I cannot get on the strat. The strat has many great tones, but not that 'both' tone.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I float my Strats, so my Teles are perfect for alternate tunings. Also my choice when I want my bridge tone to have a little chutzpah. Also, there's the beautiful bell-like tone you get with neck and bridge on that you can't get on a standard Strat.
    Plus, they just look cool. [emoji41]

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  5. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

My first guitar was a Strat. Mind you this was the mid-90s when grunge and Fender ruled rock radio. I couldn't get a variety of great tones out of it. The neck pickup was great, neck and middle was good, everything else was weak. Did nothing for me.

Now? I finally understand the Strat. Except I sold it to buy a Tele.

Teles are monsters. They are probably the least perfect guitar ever designed. Due to these imperfections I found I really loved it. It's not comfortable, kinda funny looking in a way, just a slab of wood with 2 single coil pickups and a bolted on neck. No trem, no five way switch, no quack. For me, having 3 distinct pickup tones, all great, is the icing. Simple yet not elegant. Effective and no more than merely effective. That's a Tele.

6. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

Has anyone mentioned that a Tele is way easier to mod with more options than a Strat. Or any other guitar for that matter[emoji41]

7. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

I love this video and I've watched it a bunch of times. I love hearing each player step in. My favorites are the trumpet player and the pirate shirt wearing electric violin player. I also wonder what happened to Sly's thinline?

8. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Yeah its Tight. Would be cool to know its whereabouts - here's another on this MS clip -

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I used strats for years, but I'd take them to gigs (first funk/R&B/soul, then later country mixed with some southern rock, classic rock, western swing). The strats never really cut through on stage, without being too loud. And the two and four positions would just disappear altogether. And the neck position would be too bassy and 'woofy'. This is all stage volume, mind you. So I'd swap out for the tele with the second set. I'd play that for the rest of the night. Clean sounds cut through, the neck position sounded better than the srat neck. And the distortion sounds were just killer. So I gradually quit bringing the strats, and eventually just quit using them. Then I finally sold all the strats. No point in keeping guitars I only played at home. And that's how it stands today.

10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

1) Sound
    2) Simplicity

I still love my Strats too.

Anode100 likes this.
  11. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Reading through this thread, I like so many others started life as a strat guy. I was always frustrated with the traditional strat though, there was never enough bite to the bridge pickup.

It took 43 years for me to play my first tele. I thought of them as crude, ugly country guitars that sounded thin. Boy was I wrong.

Theyre such a solid guitar. Not much to go wrong. Ive played entire gigs with one telecaster, no backup, and felt more than confident about it. Ive turned countless other guitarists on too teles as well.

Now I have 5 or 6 teles, and they are all sweet. I still have strats, and I only use my mij strat if I go that route, but for the most part, Im a tele guy.

If I could only have one guitar, it would be a telecaster.

JustABluesGuy and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mostly that it's not a Strat nor does it even feel or play like one.

I prefer the bridge, the pickups, the balance, and the body style of a Tele. I can add a middle pickup and capture a close facsimile of that #2 and #4 position Strat "quack", and with a 4-way switch and RW/RP pickups I have hum canceling in two positions and a nice volume and mid boost from the series setting. If it's done right I really can't get a bad sound out of one.

To be honest I can do far more tonally with my Teles than I can with any Strat I've played and overall a Tele just feels better and play better for me.

13. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I love Strats, don't get me wrong. For some songs, you HAVE to have a Strat to get THAT sound.

But I found I never used the middle pickup on its own, nor the tremolo, and I found the bridge pickup a little weak.

So I needed a non-trem, two-pickup Fender, with a strong bridge pickup - hence my change to Teles about 21 years ago.

14. KMBkelly

KMBkelly TDPRI Member

Simplicity, comfort and spank

15. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Tone.
    Tuning stability.
    More tone.

16. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

That scenario made me queasy... think i'd throw the clothes and shoes over first and see if that helps

17. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Am I wrong in thinking that strat guys tend to live on the neck pickup? It's a lovely sound, but loveliness doesn't really suit my style. Give me a nasty gristly chewy tele bridge pickup any day.

The one strat I really bonded with and played all through the 80s was a hardtail. I wish I hadn't sold it. Most of them have that damn tremolo. Is being able to do the occasional wobble really worth all the tuning instability? Maybe it is to some people, but teles stay in tune.

I suppose the strat body shape is more comfortable, but I've played enough guitars that aren't strats not to mind feeling an edge or two. I don't need my guitar to be cuddly. And the contours on a strat are in the wrong place for me, anyway.

Flipping the control plate on the tele puts the volume control in the perfect place for me and gets the switch out of the way. I hate where the switch is on a strat, and there's no way to change it short of getting a custom pickguard.

I like how a tele hangs on the strap better--my hands instantly find the right places--and I like the way strapping one on makes anybody look like they came to play.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Strat is tonally very different from the Tele. Combination of the pickup construction AND placement, and the fact that the Strat has a big block balanced on springs, inside a hollow cavity. Even decked, I feel the trem adds to the Strat's unique tonal "softness". Not soft in a bad way. But the Tele is super 'direct'. Extreme clarity. The Strat seems to have softer edges, tonally.

The body contours I could care less about. Don't mean a thing.

The more I play the Tele, the more I have difficulty with the Strat's layout. The middle pickup and the volume pot are always in my way now. I can live with the middle pickup, because to me, the Strat is only positions 2 & 4, and maybe neck. I can get great neck pickup sounds on the Tele, too. And the Tele has the bridge covered for all time... But I may have to reconfigure my Strat pots. Just a hole, then master volume, master tone. Hmm, sounds familiar...

19. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'll give two answers, and I give them from the perspective of someone whose first choice is a strat.

1) I like a tele when I'm looking for a little more oomph or balls out of my sound but still want single coil edge and don't want to go to humbuckers. That's what I like the tele bridge pickup for- ballsy but still a single coil.

2) If you watch That Pedal Show on youtube, Dan has a telecaster that always sounds amazing. Big, bright, full, fat- everything.

kyussvegas and JustABluesGuy like this.
  20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Always the other way around for me. Hankered after a Tele as my first guitar, had three since and kept them all. Only bought a Start 'cos people said I needed one. Now only use it when I've exhausted all possibilities of getting the sound I want from a Tele.

To me the Tele is really 'raw', what Leo intended, simply a very basic guitar made louder by amplification. In most products I like the basic article from a renowned maker's range, quality not gizmo overload.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.