1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As a long term Strat guy, what attracts you to the Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FluffyDog6, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Comes down to bite really, plus I'm not much of a three pickup guy, Blackmore had it right to dummy the middle.

Tele is like taming something.
    Strat is like coaxing something.

John Owen, Flaneur, Dan R and 2 others like this.
  2. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

Different sounds and tones not usually available in a stock, unmodded Strat. Different resonance too. I believe there are enough tonal and resonance differences to warrant owning one. In fact, I believe there is a LOT of tonal difference, and a discernible resonance difference. I have four Strats. They all sound different from each other. I have four Teles. They all sound different from each other. All the Strats and Teles sound different from each other.

You may hear and discern the tonal and resonance differences enough to feel a Tele is worth having. Or maybe you don't hear and feel those differences enough to warrant having a Tele or understanding why someone else would. I think this is what it all comes down to- different colors on the musical palette.

JustABluesGuy and Sandhill69 like this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I played only Strats for years, even had a very lightweight all stock '72 Tele come in here and leave pretty promptly for about 1/10th today's prices. I didn't get Teles until I started really messing around with them, and that took probably a year.

My likes: they 'feel' like an acoustic guitar to me (my main thing), they are very sensitive to touch, attack & tone knob fiddling, and there's just nothing like a good Tele bridge pickup. I've also never found a Tele neck pickup that I couldn't get nice sound out of.

I have an excellent Strat that I'll probably never sell, but I play my Tele.

tonedeaf68 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

No simple explanation, for me. Played all kinds for a long time, then one day, the tele called me home. It's not necessarily logical; but factual reasons are similar to others, simple, yet useful for anything. I like the neck pickups, I like the bridge and I like the inbetween/both. I have been more at home on a tele than anything else.

But I'm not evangelical about it. I've heard great, great music on all kinds of guitars. They all work really good for somebody.

6. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

I own three teles and a strat, never consciously went about it that way, just teles spoke to me more initially. It may sound odd but to me a strat is more of a speciality sound, I know it's likely the opposite for others, but I'll play entire gigs (session/wedding/musical) on a tele and cannot on a strat - a big part is a bridge on a strat (makes me understand those Suhr strats and their appeal more...) Yet, when I want that strat neck pickup tone, I need it, so I bought a strat for that. The simplicity of a tele and the genius, to me, design of the bridge pickup just makes it the ultimate guitar in any application I think. With that said, I personally feel it can be something that really pops live in a band setup. The first time I pulled a tele (when I was much younger) it was because a string broke on a PRS as I was using exclusively, I loved that Santana esque neck pickup tone. So I grabbed my tele backup, just happened to be the only other guitar I owned, and went straight into the part, on the bridge pickup. It was the lightbulb moment for me, everything just made sense and I could hear everything in the band perfectly. Haven't looked back since

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  7. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

I gotta tell ya -- the Strat is the most popular guitar design in history for a reason. Ergonomically and aesthetically, it is a thing of beauty. The neck pickup tone on a Strat is killer, and the in-between 2/4 positions are among my fav tones ever.

Despite my admiration, I've never owned a Strat. I've usually been in a situation where I could have one electric guitar, or where I already had a couple. Usually, one of those was a Telecaster. I find it hard to do without one. Yes, the stock neck pickups generally stink, a lot of the lead pickups are too spiky and not real articulate. You can fix all that. Yes, it digs into your ribs a little, and you have single-coil hum and the in-between pickup balance may be hard to find.

But those are all solvable problems, and some of us have found them worth solving. I just bought an electric guitar after "retiring" from that 3 years ago and I find it hard to put my Tele down. And I'm on the neck pickup (Duncan Alnico Pro) or the middle position all day. You can play jazz on a Tele. Or country. Or the Blues. Or Rock. Or reggae. I know, I know -- you can do all of that on a Strat, plus that great trem design (if it's executed well). But It just doesn't seem "right" to me. Some of us are just weird.

8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

" ...what attracts you to the Tele?"
    I have to have This tone (pure Tele):

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Strat has more curves. Tele is more comfortable to me.

Strat has more pickups. Tele has more and better sounds to me.

Tele's just look RIGHT to me. Honest. Tele Deluxe even moreso. Strat looks like a dated attempt at "space age" to me.

Go figure.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I was a long-term strat guy and bought a telecaster because of the curiosity. It was well worth it.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

* Taming by the shrewd.
    * Thinline tamers.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    gooseeggs and Fiesta Red like this.
  12. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I like the body shape & the control plate .

13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I guess that I sort of backed into this tele/strat comparison. I started with the tele, but as country rock evolved, I found that having a Strat, and then a Les Paul, was going to be essential to my sonic well being. Now my Teles include a AVRI52, AVRI68 Thinline, and one Nashville, and my old standby Baja. These all get rotated with six Strats, a SG, and a couple of P90 loaded LPs.
    Life is pretty good, guys.

teletimetx likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It took me a long time from my strat years to warm up to a tele (bought a semi hollow and an SG before a tele too), but one day at a guitar store, it finally hit me and it was only because it was close by to try an amp I was interested in. My strat collected dust from that day for a few years until I hung up my surf music and decked the strat. Now, I like the strat again and appreciate it's tonal uniqueness more, but still nothing like how much I enjoy my tele. My MIM strat has my favorite neck, but the tele to me is much more comfortable to play. As mentioned earlier, I enjoy the tele for song writing unplugged and have never written a song from noodling on the strat.

15. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

The Twang was the first thing. I grew up in the era of the "Bakersfield" sound. All my guitar favorites played Teles, Roy Nichols, Don Rich, and James Burton. Then after that, i guess it was the simplicity of the ease of working on them. One thing I never liked about Strats, was that to work on anything dealing with electronics, you had to remove the strings, and pick guard. On a Tele, you can replace pots, selector switches, input jacks, etc, all by just removing 2 screws. Just my thoughts on the subject, everyone is different.

16. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Some great answers here, certainly enough that I don't need to contribute...but I talk a lot, so I'm sorry.

I began my (guitar) life as a Strat player; my first electric was actually a tele with a rich history, but I traded it after I learned a few chords for a MIJ Strat, photoflame finish with Floyd Rose trem. BARF. It put me off strats, and after about a year I got rid of that and bought a Gibson Les Paul (my current go-to) and was for better or for worse a Les Paul guy for twenty years.

Then I bought another tele; it had a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck, sounded a bit like a LP, played a bit like my LP ('61 slim tapered neck), and had a robustness that I never found with my strat. It changed everything. I ended up playing it more and more, then I bought some more teles, a couple of strats, and I became a more rounded player who is a tele man that plays a lot of other guitars too.

As much as I love a good Strat, a tele is the workhorse guitar, and it fits every need I have.

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I've owned and played both for 20+ years. I don't really know how to explain this, but when I ask a tele for more it gives it up in a way a strat cannot.
    I respect that.

JustABluesGuy and TMMC like this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Bridge pickup on a Tele.
    Neck pickup on a Strat.

The Tele more often has a neck profile I like (big and chunky).

19. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

The simplicity of its design. This is not only an aesthetic thing, and a harkening to American can-do/make-do improvisational creativity. (The thing looks a wooden shovel that came with a Studebaker wagon!) But it's also functional. Its simplicity fosters the accessibility of its tones. There's so little to fiddle with that you learn to work and savor its sparse controls. Each tiny touch of its volume or tone knob matters, and the three-way switch's different settings are profoundly different. In this way, and in every way, it offers a unique sense of interacting with a guitar. You dig in, you caress, you thrum, you attack, you ease off, you tap, you move your attack hand 1/16th of an inch toward the bridge or toward the neck--and a good Telecaster with the right strings, the right pickups, the right neck responds. It fights you but rewards you.

How well it cuts through. Not just in a mix and with a band, but by itself, through the air, in the room. There's always an edge with a Tele, even when you're using a toned-down neck pickup, or a deep, velvety humbucker in the neck. It's got a sense, a sound, of directness, a resonance of edges, that's unique.

It also makes your cluttered life feel instantly uncluttered. Black coffee cracks the window in the maze.

20. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

What attracts me to a Telecaster?

That it's *not* a strat.

Also, I like the shape of the guitar, and especially the pickguard. Visually it's more appealing than a strat. I prefer the simple, industrial look of the curve on the pickguard, and the shapes of the bridge and control plate to that of the wild shapes on a stratocaster. The strat seems too showy for me.

I like that it's simpler overall. I like guitars with lots switches and knobs, but when push comes to shove, the simpler the better. More parts are more things to keep track of and more things that could conceivably fail.

I'm not a fan of whammy bars either, which is why I've never pulled the trigger on an offset as of yet.

It's not the twang- I like the uniqueness of the telecaster bridge, but within limits.

Plus, my dad plays a strat, so I gotta rebel a bit from him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.