1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As a long term Strat guy, what attracts you to the Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FluffyDog6, Jan 3, 2017.

1. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

I know there are some tonal differences, but the strat seems more comfortable and has more options in pickup configurations.

Someone please explain what I'm not understanding.

(Seriously, I'm not trolling.)

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The simplicity for one. The tone from the bridge and that I seem to have to work at it more than with, for example, my strat. They reward effort. Options-schmoptions. How much do you actually use the pickup options on a strat anyway?
    They're not uncomfortable once you've got them set to sit right on a strap, though I'll grant you the strat has the edge, or rather doesn't.
    Tuning stability. I've decked my strat, so it is quite good stability wise, but not a patch on my tele.
    Just a few random musings.

fender68 likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never really thought my strat was more comfortable than my tele, to be honest. And, despite its relative simplicity (i.e., less pickup options), the tele is versatile enough to do everything I need. And I just like the way the neck feels on my tele better.

MilwMark likes this.
  4. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

It has always been thee guitar for singer/songwriters (it's differcult to take someone with a flying V seriously). Besides since I started in the 70's and then I found the strat big running dog headstock butt ugly (it looked like a clownsuit to me).

5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

It's that "TWANG THANG" and the raw tones!

Also the fact that a good one is as close as you can get to Les Paul with humbucker sounds as possible, without losing the ability to get that glorious, Fender single coil clean and clarity. Most Strats just don't do it, without putting a humbucker in it, and then it's only a wanna be. Don't get me wrong, I own several Strat for what they DO do (ain't nothin' like a good wiggle stick that stays in tune!), but they certainly aren't my main squeezes. On the other hand, if you're used to steppin' on some sort of pedal/stomp/foot/effect/thingie/toy for "YOUR SOUND" you may never quite understand. Real tone is in the hands of real players and a great Tele makes you work to "WRING" that tone out of it like a nasty old dishrag!

And, oh yeah, Tele's tend to be pretty loud and clear even when unplugged and when you write a song on an unplugged Tele, it's usually a simple task to get that same tone when plugged in!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    5mile, gooseeggs, Dan R and 5 others like this.
  6. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Tradition!

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I think the Tele is more comfortable to me. My right hand has a home, there isn't a middle pickup interfering with my fingers, and it doesn't feel like it's going to slip slide away when I'm sitting.

Bridge pickup in every respect.

The right neck pickup can get that Strat beauty.

I have and enjoy a Strat too though. Mostly neck pickup and trem bar reasons.

GreatGaudy, jmclaren and horax like this.
  8. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

I like the way it feels against my skin.
    Huh, I mean.. uh...
    I like the twang, same as everyone...

John Owen, El Jeffe, fender68 and 4 others like this.
  9. UncleJarmo

UncleJarmo Tele-Meister

Tele balances better for me. It stays where I want it and a strat keeps sliding to my right.
    I don't use the 2 or 4 positions on a strat and I prefer the tone of all three (or 4) switch positions on a Tele to any tones on a strat.
    Even though a strat looks like a double cutaway the upper fret access on both guitars is the same so there's no advantage there for strats.
    I don't use a whammy bar.

Owenmoney, GreatGaudy and R00STER like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I loved Strats in my youth.
    Hendrix, Blackmore, Messina, Beck, Ed King, Tommy Bolin, and Eric Johnson were all high school heroes to me.
    As I aged and started gigging myself, I grew tired of the
    "Duck" settings.
    I found Teles simpler, and gutsier sounding.
    They also seemed to stay in tune better.
    I also began to like the look of Teles more.
    Offset, double cutaway guitars looked kinda "amoeba like" to me.
    Lastly, the sound imparted by the tremelo springs of a Strat bugs me.
    I refer to Strats as "Everybody else's guitar".

jimash likes this.
  11. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Feeble Strat pickups.

Anode100 and brookdalebill like this.
  12. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

As a long term Strat player I can actually talk with a little authority here. Firstly let me say the strat beats the Tele for comfort and the position of the volume control, we'll it does for me. And that's where it stops. I use the tone control on the Tele (didn't before) and it works well, no middle pick up getting in the way, two very usable pick ups with a host of tones both with and without overdrive and they tend to be powerful. I can get a Strat tone out of he neck pup and a close-ish Les Paul tone from the bridge. It's simple, looks cool and I find you have to work with a Tele so when you get it right it is much more rewarding. I've still got a Strat but it don't get played that much which tells me I am a definite convert.

13. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

It's brutally honest.
    Personally, I'm not in it for the twang, but it does help state your space in a band mix in its own way. It's unmistakable.

John Owen, Anode100 and StrangerNY like this.
  14. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

I love both equally I really do, but If I was trapped on a ballon with my Tele and Strat over the Pacific Ocean, and the ballon was slowly going down forcing me to decide which one to launch so to light'n the load.......I'd go bye bye Strat.

since71, swany and brookdalebill like this.
  15. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Strats are so typically, wannabe rock star, a dime a dozen & cliche. Don't get me wrong, I understand their charm & versatility, but the Telecaster is home for me! Like many have said, it makes you work a little more, but it's honest & brings out your real voice. It can take a lickin', with this gloriously, understated shape & design...in essence, the perfect working man's, (woman's), guitar!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    fender68 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  16. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

I was always a Strat guy until I got my first Tele. I laid my palm on the bridge and started picking on the bridge pickup and I discovered I may not be a Strat guy after all. Next I learned to dial in my compressor and my delay and I was fully assimilated. The Tele bridge and bridge pickup is the hook for me.

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

And say hello to the stratosphere...

18. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

caUse they're freakin' awesome!

You see a tele guy and you know he's got attitude. You see a strat guy and you know he's just like everybody else.

No offense. ;)

GreatGaudy and Frank'n'censed like this.
  19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

No tremolo :)

old soul likes this.
  20. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

I watched Greg Koch chicken picken and remembered how much I enjoyed watching Don Rich on Hee Haw. Teles are must haves for chicken picken. Strats are must haves for Stevie Ray Vaughan blues. Superstrats with locking whammy bar setup a are must haves for Van Halen. They're all good, just differnt

5mile, Armann and fender68 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.