As a kid, were you served sandwiches with butter on them?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Nov 10, 2018.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

So did my mother when it was rationed, so she made sure we always had it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My parents both grew up on dairy farms. Butter was so very commonplace that margarine was considered a novel luxury, when they had it. And I think they reported that it had to be mixed with a coloring

I do enjoy butter on a hot muffin/bun/biscuit, and on my pancakes/waffles/french toast/any toast, and on my cooked vegetables.

In a sandwich, no thanks

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

As a kid we didn’t use much butter, my dad didn’t care for it.
    As an adult, I use a lot of butter on pretty much anything.
    Everyone around here loves my fried chicken, they can’t understand why my chicken taste so much better.
    Secret ingredient, when the chicken is almost done, drop a stick of butter in the skillet and when it’s melted, take the chicken out of the skillet and dust’r down with sea salt while the chicken is still sizzling.
    I can’t cook without butter and as far as sandwiches, if they have bread, they need butter, just that simple.

4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Margarine should be used for packing wheel bearings or something, but you sure shouldn’t eat it.

5. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

LOL that's all we could afford in 1950's Britain, I never tasted butter growing up as it was too expensive for our family to buy, But after tasting butter later in life I concur margarine is unpleasant.

rdwhitti and dan1952 like this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

something just come to mind.. back in the 60's, I remember times when Dad, a few uncles and work friends would gather and there'd be a big box of Butter on the table and a divvying up process going on....

it was intense.... carving up that box of butter with a large carving knife into portions for all the players....

Yep, we put butter on our bread.... mmmmmm butter...:)

Nickadermis likes this.
  7. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

'My hands are all covered with butter from making butter!'

(Foodie Detective Boyle, Brooklyn Nine-Nine)

dan1952 and Nickadermis like this.
  8. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Yup, on peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. It kept the jelly from soaking through the bread by lunchtime. As an adult I quit buying peanut butter and moved up to almond and cashew butters. So when I do one now it's cashew butter and orange marmalade or almond butter and raspberry or cherry jam. But I still use butter on 'em.

When I was at boarding school I picked up the habit of mixing equal parts butter, honey, and peanut butter to spread on hot toast. Heavenly.

For most other sandwiches Mom used mayonnaise, but there were a couple of odd ones she would make during Summertime. One was cream cheese with sliced green olives & pimiento. She grew up a Jersey girl and I think it may be a regional thing. Another was curried egg salad. Also thin sliced cucumbers with mayonnaise and a sprinkling of salt.

I have a mayo habit to this day though. I keep two kinds of mayo in the fridge - regular Hellman's for making salads/dips etc., and Cain's for making sandwiches. The Cain's is oilier and somehow suits a sandwich better. Many delicatessens use it because you don't need to spread quite as much on a sandwich to get the full flavor. The Hellman's is a milder flavor and less overpowering for something like egg salad or a dip.

9. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

yes we regularly ate sandwiches with butter on the bread, my wife who is 12 years younger than i am and from a different region of the country says she has never eaten a sandwich made that way. my kids love it.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

OMG yes my mother put butter on everything. IMO the only sandwich that should have butter is, um, none. Toast yes. Sandwich no. Mayo (tuna), mustard (ham), or nothing.

Deeve and blowtorch like this.
  11. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Butter on a sandwich? No. Never. Butter is for toast or plain bread. Sandwiches get mustard.

stratoman1, Bassman8 and blowtorch like this.
  12. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I grew up on a dairy farm too. Butter was on sandwiches :) Margarine was something not seen or welcome, it is still not seen or welcome.

Of course store bought bread was not seen or welcome either so we buttered our crusty bread for any type of sandwich.

I miss my home grown butter and I miss my grandmothers bread. Store bought butter doesn’t have quite enough salt for my taste and I don’t even want to talk about store bought bread . At least we get homemade bread every couple of weeks still.

william tele likes this.
  13. Bodean

Bodean Tele-Meister

We had jam sandwiches. Take 2 pieces of bread and jam them together.:D

RoyBGood likes this.
  14. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I always used butter when making PB&J or PB and Honey sandwiches, I also put butter on leftover turkey or ham sandwiches after the holidays. It helps to make dry turkey more palatable.

My parents both grew up on farms but oddly did not use butter at all when I was a kid. As an adult I found out how much better things are with real butter, and now I would never consider using margarine.

15. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Sandwiches get butter.

Ham or beef sandwiches get butter and (English) mustard ;)

16. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Not something I've thought about forever, but yes... when I was a kid my mom put butter on all sandwiches - butter and lunchmeat, butter and jelly/jam, butter and honey, etc.

17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Yes, and I prefer it on most childhood sandwich examples. For peanut butter and honey, I prefer the butter on the pb side, because I like the honey to soak into the bread.
    Although, my parents bought margarine when I was growing up. Come to think of it, I rarely had real butter. When I did, I thought it was amazing. My parents acted like real butter was a decadent treat that was too unhealthy to eat regularly. The whole time they had it backwards.
    Today I don't make the kind of sandwiches I'd butter very often, but I eat plenty of butter.

twr102 likes this.
  18. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Only if i asked for them that way. My mother always ate hers that way. With margarine, actually. She was born in the 30s. I kinda remember hearing it was a Great Depression thing.
    And no, it didn't appeal to me. Always tasted odd

19. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

When I have a really good baguette in front of me, sometimes I can't decide and switch between butter and olive oil from piece to piece.

20. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Once. Then I complained and refused to ever eat that disgusting combo ever again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.