1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As a college prof...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jared Purdy, Mar 6, 2021.

1. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

oops....

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  2. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Unfortunately, even the reluctant saddle-walk of shame to student health services can’t compete with the normalization of dating Dandyism.

3. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

As I got into upper level classes at uni I would generally join/form a study group.
    I was in a group that was a group of Chinese girls (mostly 20s) all of whom came from Taiwan as child/teen.
    It was interesting and an education.
    All of the Taiwanese girls were lots of fun to work with, and we did work hard.
    I recall in a finance class that required calculus, one of my study partners from Taiwan mentioning she had more advanced calculus when she was 14 years old.
    My high school ('69 graduate) didn't have any advanced classes at all but I had a chance to take calculus at another school. I was very busy in my band and declined.
    I have a sister in law who was a school teacher in her home, Hong Kong. She taught English.
    It was interesting to hear the differences in HK vs USA.

Mark

Jared Purdy likes this.
  4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can agree with and identify with a lot of this, though I'd gently differ w/ your concept of history & Chaucer.
    I would have been a much better student if I'd started out a few years later (or better yet, after I got sober).

The "meritocracy" within academia is a system I don't fully understand - maybe @Larry F could do a better job.
    My shorthand version is that there are gate-keepers and un-marked doors.
    Satisfying gate-keepers and getting through the more useful doors is a very special skill-set, but it may not yield the kind of tenured professors that are most useful to each student's kind of learning capacity.

As for history & Chaucer, I think there are more effective ways to engage students to reveal how useful this information can be - but it can't be force-fed.
    I'd sell history as a tale of adventure, the search for glory, gold, new territory to dominate and strategies that worked/failed.
    Chaucer - just a chance to enjoy naughty literature.

Peace - Deeve

1955 and Jared Purdy like this.
  5. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

The value-add proposition would ideally position the corpulent as undisciplined, and therefore suspect in intellectual conscience, but coincidentally where fat&slut-shaming is verboten the megaphones are doled out to the experts of hedonism, for whom the delicious rites of passage into the mental starting point of doubting are merely desert.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You make a bunch of points, but look around. The above is a US phenomena, and only at certain Unis, so not universal.

I also hear some professors are positively skinny.

Jared Purdy and drlucky like this.
  7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

OK. Sorry. Maybe I should have quoted the guy I was asking though. Oh well!

8. Manual Slim

Why do I even bother?

Oh yeah. Never mind.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  9. BigDaddyLH

To go with the fatty theme, did you mean dessert?

1955 likes this.
  10. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Or did I, hehehehe?

Ok yes, you got me haha.

11. BigDaddyLH

Dessert is the starting point! I like the cut of your jib.

WalthamMoosical, 1955 and Jared Purdy like this.
  12. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure how college's in the US differ from colleges in Canada, but here's the skinny on Canadian colleges (and a bit on universities). In Canada, there are two types of colleges: publicly funded (subsidized), and private. Most people here would agree that the private colleges are a joke, offering junk diplomas, a cash grab and that's about all. There's no provincial oversight.

The publicly funded colleges have tremendous provincial oversight. Some would argue too much. They are also all unionized. Thank god. They are not like universities in the sense that no student would go to college to get a diploma in sociology, or any liberal arts field, unless it was photography, music, or fine art. They'd go to a university for a degree in history or sociology, anthropology, etc.

Provincial colleges are polytechnic institutions, offering diplomas in various computer related fields, gaming and digital arts, paramedic, engineering, child care, youth worker, bio-tech, auto mechanics and so forth. Some of the programs, such as engineering and nursing are partnered with universities, so you'd start at the college, for two years, then move over to the partnered university. Sociology, psychology, philosophy, history, political science, etc., are all offered, but they are electives.

Another significant difference between colleges and universities in Canada, and this gets at the heart of a number of comments pertaining to tenure: no college prof is tenured. It does not exist at the college level. I am full time, but not tenured. I can be fired for wrong doings that would not even touch a tenured university professor. The chance of becoming tenured these days is like winning a lottery. There are far more contract faculty, with no benefits and no pension than there are tenured and associate professors, and the same goes at the college level, where roughly 70% of all faculty are contract.

1955 likes this.
  13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

What?? Did you not get the Memo? This is 2021... no one EVER accepts responsibility for screwing up .... Doing so is so very 1960's... :rolleyes:

And Diablo was a Teaching experience... Where we could see exactly how flexible a 13 year old's "frame" could be... That sumbytch put me 'n my cousin in trees, palmettos, streams, swamps, ditches, piles of dirt.. and the ever ubiquitous "cow pie" ..only time we were safe is when we pointed his head toward the stable.... Shudda name him Mazda, 'cause then it was Zoom, Zoom..

r

boneyguy, 1955 and Jared Purdy like this.
  14. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My judgement was erroneous in this, and in most other matters, when I was an undergraduate.

1955 and Manual Slim like this.
  15. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I was attempting humor.

16. Manual Slim

I know.

1955 likes this.
  17. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

It's just too bad you weren't holding a McDonald's drive thru coffee that spilled in your lap and scalded your nethers while riding Diablo.....you could have sued!!

18. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

As the in-person classroom migrates from the landscape of physical imposition, the show-and-tell marketing indicators of youth, and flips resized into the portrait of Zoom, I wonder if resentment sets on strong-brew, stolen presupposed privilege once a fish-in-the-barrel breeding ground?

Before, just the other day it seems, the pay-to-play horizon loomed with pheromones, tattoos, sneakers, the loud markers of mating, and now you’re telling them that the ritual has been repurposed into the same old hell of everydayism, a Brady Bunch tic-tac-toe of talking heads? You realize they don’t like to actually speak much, are you sure you want the thousand-yard stare?

Is it really disinterest, or is it yet another short end of the stick in a long thread of learned fatalism, rectangular disappointment, the parting gift of know-it-all-ism?

How odd that facial expressions and verbal communication, not the keyboard clicking semblance of social media likes and SnapChat selfies would choose now to be magnified.

The medium, the medium, the medium, goes the lament from educators. But I propose a different solution. The message, the message, the message.

19. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

Should water be dihydrogen monoxide?

20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Tenure is in a zombie state. The demographic cliff is going to kill off a good number of smaller colleges.

The old-school liberal arts was good but fairly rare. I know a lot of pros of all kinds who sing its praises and express regret they didn't go that route. The problem is that a really good well-rounded education is uncommon.

The trades are great.

Harry Styron and 1955 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.