1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As a college prof...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jared Purdy, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

My dad was a math professor. His favorite saying, "college education is the only product in which the consumer doesn't really want their money's worth."

drlucky, Deeve, Bassman8 and 5 others like this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

When I was growing up, my uncle George owned a horse with a similar demeanor.
    It’s name was “satan”.
    I kid you not it was well earned.
    That particular horse helped cement my youthful assertion that horses were sneaky in the middle and dangerous on both ends.
    I cheered when I found out it had been sold at auction.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

agree. the reality is that 'home' isn't what we'd hope it was by a standard that was never true.

Higher Education, and too often K-12, has historically been a 'come and get it' proposition. If you come and get it the way I give it, you can win. If you can't come get it. It is on you.

We didn't make a lot of progress thattaway. It created what we've got which is a LOT of dissatisfied education customers. The teaching profession will have to adapt or continue to only serve a small sliver of the possible folks who would benefit themselves and us.

One of my relatives is a college professor and he and I have begun a conversation (when all the stuff started) at first it was 'best way to record me lecturing'.... over the past 10 years, he has grown disenchanted with his work... the kids, the kids, the kids. During this time, his challenges became so stark that our conversations changed.

He has determined 'the kids, the kids, the kids' and laying it at their feet is fruitless EVEN if it were true.

In a few, very simple, exercises, his first realization is that for all these years he has been teaching to a very tiny group of students, the rest left scratching their heads trying to decipher references that would only be known to a few...

The hope that education will ever be supported in ways meaningful enough to make THE difference is unlikely... but, if your horses are giving you grief, they won't change unless you do... that is my experience when I run into that situation.

drlucky, P Thought and Harry Styron like this.
  4. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I come from a long line of educators, superintendents, special ed/science teachers, college professors, principals, etc.

The myriad of excuses I have heard in recent times for why a student feels they should not be held to the same standard as the others are laughable, pathetic, and sad. Absolutely unbelievable the mess education has become.

Zipslack, SRHmusic, welder and 2 others like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a friend who teaches technical writing to engineers. He could have said that!

And the funny thing is, there are courses that are not useful -- let's be honest -- but technical writing is not one of those. But still...

6. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

My son is a freshman in college this year. He said all of his professors have been incredible and his peers are all really invested, smart, and studious. He's in a couple cool clubs and putting in many hours a day seven days a week. He loves it. A good place to be.

7. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well, it just goes to show, "You can lead the folks to the thread but the thread... I mean, you can thread folks but... You can show folks how to thread..." Oh, who am I kidding? I got nuttin'.

8. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Smack the hell out of a man with a fish, he'll never bother you again.

9. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

The fact that you can thread a needle doesn't make you a seamstress?

Torren61 likes this.
  10. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I agree that the challenge is for the educators to meet the students where they are, rather than continuing the beat the dead horse of a body of students who are not reached by the teachers. But we cannot expect educators to bridge the gap between the ideal student body and the actual student body, without major changes in administration, educational technology, legislative mandates, and cooperation of parents and guardians. Probably not going to happen except in movies.

P Thought and jman72 like this.
  11. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

What I learned in university was the that the Professors would open the doors to learning but it was up to me to figure out what I was going to do when I entered. The problem was I discovered this a lot later in life. Now if I could go back forty years and impart wisdom to 18 year old me it would be.....You will only be this young once, enjoy it....and by the way take your education a bit more seriously.

drlucky and jman72 like this.
  12. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'd better not learn anything in this thread.

drlucky, Deeve and Jared Purdy like this.
  13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

"When Scythrop grew up he was sent, as usual, to a public school, where a little learning was painfully beaten into him, and from thence to the university, where it was carefully taken out of him."

Thomas Love Peacock, Nightmare Abbey.

drlucky and P Thought like this.
  14. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Love it!!

15. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

16. Jared Purdy

Haha!! No! Everything that we can't talk about here is what I teach! :lol:

17. Jared Purdy

Exactly, and that carries on through the rest of that person's life.

18. Jared Purdy

Smart dad.

Killing Floor likes this.
  19. Jared Purdy

That sounds like "teaching nirvana". A lot of my colleagues, and not just at the college I teach, share the same sentiments as my original post. I'd like to think that we're all dedicated, inspired professionals who try many different techniques, pedagogy, learner centred approaches, universal design techniques, etc. What one poster said, a few replies back, is that some students don't want to learn, they just want the piece of paper. A colleague of mine said exactly the same ting the other day.

However, my original post does not just apply to college/university students, as I alluded to. We could go deeper into this, but we're not permitted.

20. welder

welder TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm an adult ed. welding instructor at a career training school. The HVAC teacher has a saying that I like...."You can't push a rope". :)

drlucky and P Thought like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.