1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

As a college prof...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jared Purdy, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

...there's an expression that I have come to love. It resonates daily, in the class, and outside of it: "You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.".

halfdan, drlucky, uriah1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

well as I recall from my younger days, you can take the horse to water, but if you're at a gallup, the sumbytch will stop before ya expect it and throw your butt over his head and into the water, that was "Diablo", one ornery horse...

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

my old prof once told me something similar

teaching is like mailing a letter: you know you wrote it, stamped it, and mailed it -- but you don't know whether the person opened and read it

sometimes it takes a while

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sort of the reverse.

Years ago, I was an instructor in a computer programming course. I used a white board and coloured markers. One of my students, an older, really hard working guy told me that the way I grouped things with different colours was insightful and that he had gone out and bought a set of markers so that he could make notes the same way. I thought to myself, but didn't say out loud ... "I just put down one marker and pick up another when the marker gets dry." Maybe I was doing something subconsciously, but I wasn't paying attention to their colour. :confused:

5. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

You can take a man to learning, but you can't make him think.

Deeve, drlucky and Jared Purdy like this.
  6. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he's never hungry; teach him to ignore his wife and he can fish anytime".

It's all about the learning.

Tonetele, drlucky, richiek65 and 3 others like this.
  7. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

I spent 35 years making cryptic remarks, mostly for my own benefit.

D.H.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Sadly, that expression reminds me of my High School bandmates....they used it often with me, when they wanted to learn a song I considered "out of" our genre field. Back then, I resisted learning certain types of songs, not realizing how expanding my "viewpoint" would benefit me.
    I promise, though.....I learned that lesson and grew from the learning.

drlucky and Jared Purdy like this.
  9. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

Do you teach livestock behaviouristics by any chance?

Jared Purdy and NoTeleBob like this.
  10. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

FWIW - I taught at the corporate level for any years. I took a course or two in presenting. I've also spent a lot of time in marketing. Different colors have different meanings to most people - against a backdrop of marketing and sales preferences.

In the first scope, as an example, red is known to be a warning/danger color. Never use it for writing on the board except for highlighting the same (you define "warning" and "danger" in your context.

On the other side, warmer colors - red, orange, yellow - have a different sales reaction vs. cooler coolers like deep blue, green, brown, and of course black . Of course, that's all in view of you metaphoring your teaching or presentation vis-a-vis selling your information to your audience.

Combined, you can use color to your advantage. I always carried the 8 color multi-pack Expo markers so that I could use color to my advantage.

11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" is one I've heard a lot recently.

12. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

"You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead." -- Stan Laurel

"You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think."
    Dorothy Parker, When asked to use the word "horticulture" correctly in a sentence

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm an idiot when it comes to colour. I'm not colorblind but I might as well be. Maybe I'm colour-insensitive. I don't pay conscious attention to colour. My wife and kids point out when I'm wearing clashing colours -- I didn't notice. It was torture when my wife and I chose paint colours. She's ask me to choose, then criticise my choice -- too warm, too cool! Actually I've read women are better than men at seeing colours, but I gave up and told her to choose whatever she wanted. Luckily, my job doesn't involve choosing colours :lol:

Once, though, I was asked to mockup a user interface and I did it in shades of grey -- I didn't think to choose colours. I was asked to add colours and I knew I'd screw that up. So I went to a Martha Stewart website and stole her colour scheme -- even I could see it was some sort of autumnal pumpkin spice affair. My clients loved it and it took me 60 seconds to do! :lol:

P Thought and Jared Purdy like this.
  14. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

"You can take a horse to water.....but a pencil has to be lead".

Bassman8, Jared Purdy and PARCO like this.
  15. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

My first semester of jr college the poly-science instructor was hung up on; “things are not always what they appear. Looking down a railroad track the rails appear to come together”. We heard that at least once a week.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  16. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You just beat me to the Stan Laurel quote! I'm happy to see any Laurel and Hardy mentions though.

Mr Green Genes and SRHmusic like this.
  17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a chemistry professor and my wife is a primary school teacher. She gets lots of teacher gifts from her kids , especially cute coffee mugs. Last week I randomly grabbed one of the mugs from the cabinet and took it with me to my college chemistry class full of my morning brew. About halfway through class (and halfway through my cup) I happened to look at the cup, which said in huge letters "IT TAKES A BIG HEART TO TEACH LITTLE MINDS ".

I quickly realized that this saying might not mean the same thing to my students as it would to my wife's second graders. My other professor friends got a big kick out of it when I told them though.

drlucky, kmaster, DougM and 7 others like this.
  18. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

French student got the reputation to be stone cold when you got to interact with them, compare to american one were there's (suppposely) more exchange between student and prof.

It was my case in law school were most of the student were good at learning and tryharding lessons to get good grade, but unable to think by themselves or argue with pure legal logic when going in abstraction.

I was not in a very good high school, and some were from really good french public school, still they were dumb as hell, and here thanks to what Bourdieu described.

It was my main deception when going to college.

Glad that there was pretty girl everywhere and studying in front of the Panthéon is amazing.

So you're not the only one !

19. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

"You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."

--Dorothy Parker.

Deeve, slauson slim, Flip G and 5 others like this.
  20. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

Edit: You beat me to it. I use to work in the horticulture industry so I heard that one a lot but I didn't know who penned it.:)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Ed Driscoll and Flip G like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.