As a child, I found Led Zeppelin confusing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Digital Larry, Nov 4, 2019.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yeah...never did get those dudes. Some cool atmospheric textures, and some good riffing. Black Dog is a fun tune. Way, way too much noodling, posturing, and awful lyrics. I was too young for it the first time around, and the guys who listened to that stuff during my mid-80s high school days were just not my "crew." Some music is pretty timeless, LZ...not.

GuitarKid likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a love/hate thing with em’.
    I first heard Zep when I was 12.
    I just thought it was a little scary sounding, and I never really liked the shrieky vocals.
    I loved the riffs!
    I didn’t like the plodding drumming.
    I liked the bass lines.
    I didn’t like the eponymous first album, or III, at all.
    I liked II and the “Hairway to Steven ZOSO” record.
    Pretentious twits.

GuitarKid likes this.
  3. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

I grew up with Lead
    Zepp-uh-lin, and knew the words to their songs that played on the radio.

Never thought about whether the song lyrics had any real meaning.

GuitarKid likes this.
  4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

They were so different than anything else going on and Plants Vocals and Jimmy's guitar was a cut above most other bands at the time. I was in for the first 3 albums and the Rain Song. After that I moved on to other forms of music.

Rowdyman likes this.
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Except the faces and the Jeff beck group ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aging_rocker likes this.
  6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I sure remember the first album. I was starting to make a little money with my bands, and I saw the surge of interest in LZ. So, I bought the LP not for pleasure, but to learn the songs, which were perfectly playable by a group of 15 year-olds. I think I was able to play through most of the songs right away.

But somehow, a group of kids in the northwest managed to make the songs sound acceptable. But that was the problem for us. We learned that playing acceptably was a long ways from sounding interesting.

By some quirk of fate, LZ II caught fire among the jocks in our school. They would request one LZ song after another. Got old even before the rune crap.

7. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, loved the first three e albums. After that it was one or two songs per album that moved me. Never paid too much attention to their lyrics, except for “been a long time since I rock and rolled...”

GibbyTwin likes this.
  8. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

The only album that I really ever re-visit (occasionally) is the first one. And then I find myself mainly listening to the awesome rhythm section :)

Zeppelin were close to being a cultural phenomena when I was in my early teens, but I always preferred other stuff. I did get to see them twice though

9. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Led Zeppelin was essentially two bands in my opinion.

Everything recorded from 68 to 71.
    Everything recorded from 72 to 79.

The first era is a cut way above the 2nd era. Plant's voice was so much stronger before it completely changed, especially in his mid and upper range. Sucks he lost his original voice. His mannerisms were also different. Watch live stuff from 68 to 71. Then watch live stuff 73.

Page was much more energetic and was playing more interestingly and fresh in the first era.

Just overall the first era was more gritty, raw, fresh, and was out to prove a point.

Don't get me wrong LZ's 2nd era recorded some pretty cool songs but they are just not in the same league as LZ era 1.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So if lyrics were literal, when you couldn't be with the one you loved, did you love the one you were with?

11. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, why disappoint my fans? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

As much as I like their heavier riff based songs I also love their folk acoustic style songs and their funkier ones too. I've had at least one Zeppelin album on rotation in my car since the 80's.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I KNOW I'm going to get the wrath of many here but I saw Led Zep on a very hot ( 37C ) night and Jimmy Page was not playing well. Being British I think he was struggling with the heat, and that was at night.

We pushed the fence down on a Wimbledon like court, my best high school buddy got put n jail and I saw a guy sitting in an open speaker box. God knows what happened to his hearing. That was some weird , hot summer's night.

14. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Maybe as a 10 year old a lot of this came to mind, but surely as an adult you would have recognized that many/most songs are written in the 3rd person.

As for Zep themselves... I like them a lot more today than I did in my younger years. I really don't pay attention to the lyrics... but that's how I listen to music - it's all phonics to me. Unlike most people, I'm more intrigued by Bonham and Jones than I am Plant and Page.

Heat? I suspect it could have been the alcohol, maybe the drugs, or even possibly a combination of everything ;)

57fenderstrat and Tonetele like this.
  15. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I think I'm entering my post-adult phase which involves quite a bit of reflection about my youth.

I've written a few songs myself over the years, some of which friends who haven't heard them in a long time still remember. That's pretty satisfying. None were remotely autobiographical or true. When I started playing bass and jamming with guys in college, we too played a lot of blues type stuff and I was pretty chuffed when I figured out a couple JPJ lines.

16. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

In my impressionable years, I accepted the fact that the lyrics of my older brothers' music (Zep, Yes, Floyd, Stones, Deep Purple, Beatles, Genesis, CSNY) seldom, if ever, bore any relation to my pitiful existence. Yet the songs still rocked. For relatable lyrics, you had to go to soft rock/pop/country music, which I found lame. That's why I was so moved when I first heard "Darkness on the Edge of Town." I got what he was singing about. Early Tom Petty too. The fact that I discovered them before my brothers made the music even more personal to me. But like everything else, that connection faded away too.

17. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As someone can’t write lyric worth a lick I admire anyone who can do it. At the time it was a crowded field so there was never room in my day for LZ, Deep Purple, or later, Tom Petty. some of the people here are much more familiar with many more bands.

18. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

One the one hand, we had CSNY's "Our House" where "life used to be so hard, now everything is easy cause of youuuuu". which is certainly idealistic. What we didn't get there was part II of the story where whoever it was that was dating Joni Mitchell for 3 weeks, resulting in "Our House" being written, had his widdle heart broken when she left for some other rock star. This might be what Frank Zappa referred to as "love songs promoting bad mental health".

So, on the whole, "Dazed and Confused" is probably a more realistic depiction of relationships, where the guy comes home after 18 hours at the meat packing plant, and he just wants a little cuddle, but Joni's not having any of it.

19. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but the older I get, the more I like them.

650thunderbird and dlew919 like this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As a kid I was really into words first and then really into music, but pretty much always music that had words.

AS far as most Rock lyrics having nothing to do with my life, love songs promoting bad mental health, and the drivel coming from the pickup truck broken heart crooners; yeah I'd say that was an issue in my choices about what music I liked.

Having a single mother and sometimes getting a visit from a drunkard Dad, bad relationships didn't confuse me!
    Rather than a married couple, I was raised by a dating mom. Crazier than them blues tunes claimed.
    "She put poison in my coffee, 'stead of milk or cream"?
    Yeah, makes perfect sense really.

Growing up not relating to that sort of lyric?
    Bless your heart!

I could get into good music with meaningless syllabilic lyrics largely penned to keep the singer busy, but it seems like that food you go back for a few times and then remember it wasn't all that tasty so why bother repeating it.

As far as writing songs myself, I sort of have the ability but judge my own songwriting so harshly that I get no pleasure from singing my own stuff, because I'm just no master of songwriting.

I think I have either disdain for or jealousy of famous bands who got huge on drivel lyrics.
    Not in daily life but when I think I have a song surfacing and it just doesn't satisfy, because I expect more from a songs lyrics.

Zep was great for what they were but they no longer hold my interest.
    Had they come up with more meaningful lyrics I'd probably still listen to them.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.