As a child, I found Led Zeppelin confusing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Digital Larry, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Several of LZ's songs talk about how the protagonist's girlfriend rejected his advances after he worked hard all day so she could buy things. I was about 10 at the time so of course I figured this was the way things worked.

But let me get this straight.

a) You are Robert Plant, the singer in Led Zeppelin, and you still work some 9-5 job?
    b) Perhaps things would go better if you took a shower first.
    c) You are Robert Plant, the singer in Led Zeppelin, and still your girlfriend rejects you? Damn.
    d) Maybe tone down the frilly shirts and the mannerisms, maybe your GF is jealous that you are prettier than she is.

2. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I sometimes wonder if LZs lyrics were constructed from school lunch alphabet soup left-overs...

'I told your mamma I'd get you home but I didn't tell her I had no car,'
    'I saw a lion, he was standing alone with a tadpole in a jar.'

3. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

'Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor
    I met a girl so fair
    But Gollum, and the evil one
    Crept up and slipped away with her
    Her, her, yeah"

Had to read a 1,000 page book to figure out that it was PLANT who was confused. :cool:

4. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Ugh? What's this all about?

The U.K. back then was hardly Silicon Valley. Many of us were lucky to get into a tin bath once per week.

How do you know all this stuff? .... Obviously you were rejected by your girlfriend when you were ten years old, and you think it may be because you were much prettier than she was ...... But it seems you also smelled somewhat.

Get over it! It probably happened to many of us, apart from the 'pretty' bit.

As it was in my recollection, unlike California it also rained in the U.K. just about every day. No worries about showering for us ten year olds in old blighty who might have worried about ring around the collar on the odd occasion, nature took good care of it.

My life probably changed once I started to use a comb and some soap on occasion....... Oh, and I cleaned my teeth now and again.

Still can't sing worth a sh*t, and I'm no Jimmy Page either, but Led Zep are still one of the very best ever IMO and there still ain't no confusion on that score and that's over half a century later.

5. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

Many will disagree but I lost interest in Zeppelin after about the third album. I kept buying the records but nothing that came later made me as happy. And, yeah, some of the lyrics were too far out even on the early albums. The Hobbit references seem to be written by someone who never read the books and thought they knew the stories.

sonicsmitty, DonM, clayville and 3 others like this.
  6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

When I was 10 actual meaning of lyrics meant nothing to me. It was all part of the aural experience. Plant could have been singing about freeze drying and archiving his poo by color and density, and I would have just went on being rocked away to bliss.

7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I was the youngest of 3 boys. As young teens we all brought different music into the house and adopted some of each other's faves.

My oldest brother was big into Zeppelin.

The other two of us just scratched our heads.

Still scratching, and it ain't nits.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you people were just at the wrong age to relate. It had everything to do with the era and the age of the songwriting. Yup, dazed and confused.

9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I remember hearing Led Zeppelin for the first time when I was 11 years old. I ran out and bought Led Zeppelin II and it blew my mind. It felt kinda dirty, like I knew I was too young to be listening to it. Sort of like discovering dirty magazines. Good stuff.

Oh, and rock music is full of stupid lyrics for the most part. I didn’t care then and I don’t care now.

P-Nutz, Jim603, Axegrinder77 and 14 others like this.
  10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorite blues lyric lines comes from David Bromberg... I think it's "Bullfrog Blues". Something like:

You know it's tough when you're with your woman
    And she's saying (passionately) "Oh Johnny! Oh Johnny! Oh Johnny!"
    When she KNOWS your name is David.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  11. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

You mean there were actual words in all that high-pitched caterwauling???? :D

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

LZ is meant for kids, with all those Tolkien references.
    I mean, have you revisited that stuff lately?
    You're only 14 once

13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I was in college during the Led Zep era. I found quantum mechanics a lot more confusing.

Chunkocaster and Digital Larry like this.
  14. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

For me it was the scene in the video of The Song Remains the Same when Plant is in a sword fight....with nobody in particular o_O

Digital Larry likes this.
  15. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Led Zeppelin was what the bad kids in the back of the schoolbus listened to. Like @D_Malone said, it sounded dirty, like sex, and kind of scary. So naturally I ended up loving them. But if I never hear Ramble On again in my lifetime it'll be too soon.

16. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Oooh dont know that archiving song, is that 'In My Time Of Drying'?'

17. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

"Like a mule, I learned my lessons slow" Rory Gallagher.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Zeppelin made complete sense to me when I was a kid. Even the lyrics I had to guess and make up all made sense. I revisit Zeppelin often but do need breaks form it form time to time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    MickM, Jsil13, 8barlouie and 2 others like this.
  19. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Led Zep lyrics may have the greatest disparity between sounding cool on record, and reading as super goofy and kind of dumb on the page. But with very few exceptions, lyrics aren't poetry and shouldn't be read as such. The Zep lyrics I would hear in my head as a kid were for sure way weirder than what Plant was actually singing about half the time.

P-Nutz and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I like alittle zeppelin in pretty small doses , I get tired of the Plant moaning sessions pretty quick though.

The song writing kind of lacks any real depth but I guess it doesn’t really have to have any to start with sound good.

I like no quarter the best

Cysquatch, kbold and Digital Larry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.