Artists Who Tried To Be Bowie

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
OK...face paint to wild costumes to tailored suits to artsy videos. Gabriel followed Bowie's career trajectory to the letter.

Once again, this thread is not about musical influence. It's about presentation, and Gabriel sure looked to the "How To Be David Bowie" handbook for guidance. Probably kept a copy on his nightstand. Read through it every night.
Ahem. It's not like there hasn't been any artist in Pop/Rock using weird costumes, theatrical effects, facepaint, wild costumes etc. before Bowie invented that. Arthur Brown, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, to name but two before Bowie started. A well known band put on colourful costumes for a record called "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". They even did a psychedelic filmclip about a submarine. Pink Floyd did "artsy" filmclips even before Bowie changed his name to....Bowie.
Not to mention that Bowie himself was heavily influenced by artforms like performance art, ballet, pantomimes.
Now, I'm a huge Bowie fan, but you seem to simply counting anybody starting around 1970 and using stylish clothing, Mascara and theatrical facepaints as someone "trying to be Bowie". That's pretty much blown out of proportion.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
A well known band put on colourful costumes for a record called "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

The Bee Gees?

1649786067673.png

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Virgin Prunes' Gavin Friday was doing this sort of Ziggy thing, pretty heavy.

For those who dunno, Dik Evans of this band is the brother of Edge, of U2 fame.

The whole Glam Rock could be taken back to Bowie or even Vince Fornier. Gene Loves Jezebel and Psychedelic Furs (Richard Butler) are two favorites of mine.

green_henry

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Wasn't Bowie often criticized for trying to be Anthony Newley?

Anyhow, Lou Reed's Transformer album sure seemed to be Bowie doing Lou a huge favor. But I suppose Bowie may have been trying to be Lou rather than the other way around ... same with Iggy