Artists Who Tried To Be Bowie

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Very few people tried to be Bowie - they were just influenced by his style and music - I don't see Gabriel ever coming to the Bowie thing - if anything happened Bowie took from Gabriel - for one thing Gabriel was doing his whacky stuff long before Bowie.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
Definitely Madonna -- her ability try on different personas and styles seemed like an obvious homage* to Bowie.

* I'm being very charitable here.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
OK...face paint to wild costumes to tailored suits to artsy videos. Gabriel followed Bowie's career trajectory to the letter.

Once again, this thread is not about musical influence. It's about presentation, and Gabriel sure looked to the "How To Be David Bowie" handbook for guidance. Probably kept a copy on his nightstand. Read through it every night.
In his 2013 biography Without Frontiers: The Life & Music of Peter Gabriel, Daryl Easlea wrote that in 1983:
Bowie had won an Italian TV award, the Telegatto, Song Of The Year for the single ‘Let’s Dance’, a trophy that Gabriel had won the previous year for ‘Shock The Monkey’. In a backstage photograph, taken by Denis O’Regan, Gabriel hands the Award, a golden cat, to Bowie. Gabriel’s face is painted, ready to take to the stage; Bowie is in his civvies, hours before showtime. Both smile for the camera. It was a long way since the Atomic Sunrise Festival at the Roundhouse, 13 years previously. “Gabriel’s smiling and Bowie’s looking to camera, but I think Gabriel looks a bit silly,” David Buckley says. “It was almost as if Bowie is saying, ‘Come on now, we did all of this in the Seventies.’” It was to be the final tour on which Gabriel hid behind any mask or make-up: within two years, Peter Saville would be supervising clean-cut photoshoots for him.

a9034fe357f03f391e0818eb25d0a2d7.jpg

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Bowie was a huge influence - especially to the Brits. I am not talking musically. I am talking style, manner, persona... Name a few, if you please.

Remember, not musically influenced by Bowie. But physically, stylistically. These are artists who literally tried to be Bowie.

Peter Murphy - Bauhaus
Dave Sylvian - Japan
Richard Butler - The Psychedelic Furs
Brian Ferry - Roxy Music

Peter Gabriel - Genesis / solo
Ian McCulloch - Echo And The Bunnymen
Billy Mackenzie - The Associates
Nick Rhodes - Duran Duran (hell, everybody in that band tried like hell to be Bowie)

Others?
Alice Bowie!

Last edited:

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
OK...face paint to wild costumes to tailored suits to artsy videos. Gabriel followed Bowie's career trajectory to the letter.

Once again, this thread is not about musical influence. It's about presentation, and Gabriel sure looked to the "How To Be David Bowie" handbook for guidance. Probably kept a copy on his nightstand. Read through it every night.
Lol. No.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
In his 2013 biography Without Frontiers: The Life & Music of Peter Gabriel, Daryl Easlea wrote that in 1983:

a9034fe357f03f391e0818eb25d0a2d7.jpg
Peter started his face painting in '72 for Foxtrot. Bowie's was more around 73. They both did it in the 70s but Peter kept it up until he left Genesis, and off and on during his solo career.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Then I stand corrected. Gabriel wasn't trying to be Bowie with the painted face. No, Peter Gabriel was trying to be Mark Bolan -- who put on his famous face glitter in 1971.

View attachment 970059
" Girl I'm just a Jeepster for your love..."
I have NO idea what that even means but it's a great R&R boogie tune. What a groove!

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
" Girl I'm just a Jeepster for your love..."
I have NO idea what that even means but it's a great R&R boogie tune. What a groove!

Nobody knows what Marc Bolan was saying with his lyrics. Try to decipher this one:

Automatic shoes
Give me 3-D vision
And the California blues

To be honest, I do understand one of Marc's lyrical bursts:

Bob is alright, Bob is alright
He's a natural born poet,
He's just outta-sight!

Best thing ever written about that Zimmerman fellow.

1649125175976.png

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Nobody knows what Marc Bolan was saying with his lyrics. Try to decipher this one:

Automatic shoes
Give me 3-D vision
And the California blues

To be honest, I do understand one of Marc's lyrical bursts:

Bob is alright, Bob is alright
He's a natural born poet,
He's just outta-sight!

Best thing ever written about that Zimmerman fellow.

View attachment 970070
Never heard that 'Bob' -referenced song before, cool! ( not very familiar w/ T Rex, other than the few songs on radio)

But I LOVE that photo of Dylan playing THAT guitar! ( refinished Gibson Nick Lucas) Love the look and studio and live songs he played on that guitar. Very clear/full sound.