1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Artists That Have Made You Rethink the Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Jan 19, 2021.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

actually her case is pretty interesting. she was a competition pianist as a kid, basically had a breakdown, developed an eating disorder and was hospitalized. when she was in the hospital, all she had was some crappy guitar and she taught herself/figured out all of that midwest emo stuff. so in a way she's sort of rebelling against super hardcore helicopter parents. i would definitely prefer to see someone like her lean into the don cab/hella side of math rock instead of the emo stuff, but i can at least appreciate that she's representative of something that isn't shred or djent.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

Bryan Sutton and Ross Barenburg

It was their rendition of Big Sciota on Bryan's 'Not To Far From The Tree' album that opened my eyes to the world flat picked acoustic guitar and fiddle tunes. Had never ventured down that path because I thought 'bluegrass' was just too 'country'.

Pretty much all I want to play now (yes, my electrics still get some love....)

D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Dano-caster likes this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Lately it's been listening closely to BB King, oddly enough. He's been around so long & seems so familiar that it feels like you know what he's doing. But if you try to play along, he's doing some very odd & innovative stuff with timing & note selection. The effortless switching between major / minor / blues scales in the course of a single solo is really cool.

Stanford Guitar and Randypttt like this.
  4. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Whoa....

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

To me "rethink" brings to mind players who were highly original, at least to me. Players who did stuff in ways that were uncommon yet brought a big old grin of amazement to my face. Like:
    John Lee Hooker
    Jerry Reed
    Chuck Berry
    Maybelle Carter

that kind of thing. and yeah, I know there's plenty of younger players and all of them stand on the shoulder's of giants, one way or another.

6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Way back when I was learning the acoustic this guy was a big inspiration:

[edit] the rethink in this case was that whole percussive/fingerstyle that I'd never tried, but Clive Gregson made it look easy

7. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

He's proof you don't need a lot of notes.

8. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Loved Sonny Sharrock.Could be a little rough at times, especially if Mrs. Sharrock was singing.Live in New York was one of my favorites.My Song had some tone I really liked at the time.Also Tony Rice really turned on my Bluegrass switch.RIP both you guys...

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.