1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Artists That Have Made You Rethink the Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Andy Summers -- His guitar work with the Police was rarely in the foreground, but the unique way he used jazz voicings and effects to fill in the spaces was incredible.

Johnny Marr -- Less for his playing than for the way he would arrange and layer multiple guitar parts into a cohesive song.

tintag27 likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That’s true of course and there may be a higher incidence of tortured souls making soulful music.

But one can make music that powerfully conveys the joyous outcry of the soul too, and we can still fell that souls outcry despite the lack of a tortured soul.

Now we seem to have a good amount of music that is almost entirely intellect and displays hardly any emotion.
    Not saying that’s bad, I’m just not inspired by art that lacks emotion and is more intellect, or in some cases when derived from existing formula but applied with great skill, isn’t really even intellectual.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Mayer's trills.

Clapton's second and third position phrasing.

Brent Masons technique and speed

Johnny Hiland's speed and technique

Jack Pearson's outside the box jazz approach

4. telemnemonics

I did a lot of work on multiphonics when I played saxes, very cool what can be done and this guy is interesting to listen to.
    Sax players have (in the past) inspired me more than guitar palyers over the years, but I gave up trying to keep up any chops on sax and and just stick to guitar now. When I first really got into sax I hardly played guitar at all, but then had to push my approach to guitar a bit and also eventually got into pedals which can expand what a guitar is capable of.
    I almost view clean guitar like a different instrument from guitar through pedals, new voices demand new phrases, at least to some degree.
    Saw these guys in the '80s and liked something about them, even as I have mixed feelings about "free music", since it seems to me to be a sort of unicorn that only exists in the imagination, and once captured it acquires structure so is really not free.
    Again, not inspired by their music as in sound, but inspired by the willingness to keep at it doing work that not a lot of fans show up and pay for. Art without funding is good for art, not so much good for the artist...

These guys seem to have stayed alive doing this for decades though, not sure how?

loopfinding likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

Interesting that "speed and technique" influenced you to "rethink the guitar".

It hadn't occurred to me that something as standard as playing fast with demanding technique could inspire a rethinking, but that's because it was speedy technique that really grabbed me as an inspiration, after taking up guitar.

In that vein I could say that Neil Young maybe inspired me to rethink my ideas that speed and technique are key components of great guitar playing.

Rethinking can be anything that makes us step back and look again in case we missed something as we chose our personal conventions.

I mean if a player has a recognizable style, it's because we established a set of conventions we work within.
    Some may at times call our own style a rut!
    Rethinking is good, but fort me seems to require some outside influence.

6. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

John Scofield. He seems so well-versed in music theory that his playing takes on the feel of speaking in his native tongue. It sounds like a totally naturalized expression. It's as nuanced as a conversation. Nothing sounds like a 'lick'.

Allan Holdsworth. He just comes out of a different thought space than I'm in. I find him more understandable if I mentally superimpose the sound of a saxophone over his guitar sound. I think that he was thinking more like a horn player.

Sabicas. Despite the fact that I can't fingerpick to save my ass, I think I learned the lesson from him to not pick meekly, but to impose your will on the strings. Positive connection. He was killah!

7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

First time I saw John Hammond Junior, playing a solo concert. I knew I needed to get a Resonator guitar.....

Never really been bowled over, by great technical virtuosity. None of my favourite music is about that.

8. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Kind of wish she and some of the others would make profiles here or one of the other forums so they could be part of the non-YouTube, non-sponsored average person community.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

10. telemnemonics

I saw Egberto live in his younger days, he seems hard to record live acoustic as is the nature of recording classical guitar live, but he also uses a wide range of volume with harmonics, as well as often playing at his limits where notes get slurred often, and of course the number of strings demands the guitar produce a lower range than the body is ideal for.
    Anyhow, not a lot of good live recordings, sound suffers but it's great to see what he's doing.

paulblackford likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

Here's another Gismonti live.
    Younger here.

12. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Christian Fennesz:

And of course:

[​IMG]

lupowitz likes this.
  13. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Rory Gallagher

DekeDog and aging_rocker like this.
  14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

The speed at which both Hiland and Mason put up notes made me rethink not the left hand but the right hand technique at the bridge. They both inspired me find chromatic runs all over the neck using open strings in a variety of ways. A lot of unique uncharted territory in the approach.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I suck so nearly anyone who is any good has me rethinking my playing.

16. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

There are several guitar players and a ton of non-guitar players, and from different genres. On the jazz side, Miles Davis. But right now now, my favorite guitar player, the the guy I'd most like to emulate, is Larry Carlton. Such a melodic player... even his improvisations are filled with melodic hooks.

17. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Anytime I see a live artist perform (big or small) I am almost always impressed and it makes me think about my own (lack of) style/ability. And not it a bad way ... least anymore ... just I try to learn what or take away what I can. Players find a way to play ... it is awesome.

tintag27 and aging_rocker like this.
  18. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yep, he was 6 ft away, downwards

Lucius Paisley likes this.
  19. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Apart from the previously-mentioned Andy Gill, another player who made me go away and look at the guitar in a new way was Will Sergeant. And Pete de Freitas was one of the most incredible drummers I ever saw, too. I was totally blown away by seeing this band live in 1980.

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  20. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

the thing that really struck me about stetson after seeing him a few years back was the less effected stuff. just milking the instrument and augmenting whatever is necessary. i've played a lot of free music, but personally i've sort of always stuck to the method of only using preparations if i can develop some sort of technique for them (at least as much as say, a slide, instead of just making them a prop or a gesture) and also i usually just limit my effects to gain and compression only. i think seeing him do some of that solo stuff, while i don't necessarily like all of it harmonically speaking, pushed me even more in the direction to go "okay, time to get your act together with this stuff and not just throw stuff at the wall." five or six years on i'm writing a lot more music instead of just improvising, but guess i'm still struggling to work out some sort of language, hahaha.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.