Artists relicing their guitars but not to make them look vintage...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's a well known fable that Fender started to do relic guitars when Keith Richards told them that he thought the guitars he was getting looked "Too new" and he supposedly told them to "Bash them up a bit." Not true but still funny.

And sadly there ARE people who take the "It's too new, let me bash it up a bit" to heart too...
    [​IMG]
    This is Van Halen Bass player Micheal Anthony with his Yamaha Broadbass series bass which he got new from the factory. Anthony took to the bass straight away, babied it and was very careful, wiping it off after every session. Until a certain band mate of his famous for striping his guitars decided to help him out a bit and giving the bass "Some character"

[​IMG]
    Eddie Van Halen went to town with a screw driver and a soldering iron, giving the bass a severe makeover, Anthony wasn't pleased, recounting when he saw his vandalized bass as a "moment he wanted to strangle Eddie."

But some times a player defiles the look of his instrument because of another player using the same kind of guitar. Now let's turn the clock back 30 years: THIS young hot-shot guitarist got his big break.
    [​IMG]
    And for Zakk Wylde (Eeeeyuuup, that REALLY is Zakk Wylde in the picture...) along with that big break came an endorsement with Gibson guitars, who presented him with this striking rebel Flag Gibson Les Paul. Wylde, was totally up for it "Thanks dudes, I'm going to rock this Mother#*@$^ proudly!"

UNTIL, he got word that there was a second one, his Les Paul had a twin sister and that one went to THIS guy...
    [​IMG]
    Bret Michaels not only had a rebel Flag Les Paul like Wylde's but he also used it in a music video. So realizing that people were going to tell him that he had the same guitar as Bret Michaels of Poison, Zakk Wylde took action.

A few sessions with a belt sander and countless bottle caps later, THIS was the result.
    [​IMG]
    NO WAY, was anybody going to confuse that guitar for Bret Michaels' anymore.

2. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

Wow you’d think they showed up wearing the same dress! Lol

RodeoTex, kafka, Piggy Stu and 11 others like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Contrary to legend, it wasn't Keef that started it. It was Bonnie Raits producer, playing the Grammys, not wanting his bass looking like new shoes ona playground.

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/relic-guitars-untold-story/

To be fair, Zak distancing himself from Brett Michaels was a good idea. Zak didn't want people to think his his cream colored LP was him copying his hero Randy Rhodes, so put a bullseye on it. That just gave them a target to throw beer bottles at, according to him.

Randy had them mutilate his V by taking one fin off, birthing his signature RRV in the process.

Jaco Pastorius didn't deliberately relic his bass, but I recall hearing he didn't use a case.

I think its easier to just buy a beaten up one, but certain pros have different opinions...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  4. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Interesting! I had difficulty making that picture = Zakk Wylde, but sho’nuff....

[​IMG]

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't forget, those guitars are better than buying ... The big brands Give Free Guitars to bands that had enough hits. Remember all those bands in the 70s smashing guitars every show? Gibson quit giving KISS guitars to smash so KISS switched to Ibanez (but much less smashing). Kiss was destroying a pallet of guitars (at one point they switched to swapping in seconds/scrap builds) a week or something.

So damaging a new Gibson/Fender Custom Shop guitar to make it look old for the pros is like mere mortals bashing up a $75 Bullet Strat or Epiphone Special.
    The guitar company employees wince but the marketing department is ear to ear grins dreaming of their bonus checks.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Quite true. I read an interview with Kurt Cobain's guitar tech about routinely talking him out of smashing Jaguars and Mustangs (a limited commodity in left handed setup) and switching to the strats for smashing. The tech would salvage parts for the next strat that was going to be smashed....

I think if I were on the level of rich some pros are, I'd escape my boredom by creatively self-relic-ing free guitars.
    "Yep, that's a genuine Napoleon issue bayonet still partially lodged above the control plate, I let an Arturo Fuente burn all the way down while sitting on the headstock, i accidentally left welding flux on that part for a week, and the volume knob fell off so I replaced it with..."

You get the idea.

7. Blazer

Nope, Randy Rhoads sat down with Grover Jackson, and sketched out the "Concorde" as the guitar was known back then on a sheet of paper and it was built according to his wishes.
    [​IMG]
    The Concorde (The white one) and the Rhoads signature model, these are both the original Rhoads owned guitars. Does either of them look like a hack job to you?

Nope, Jaco used two Jazz basses, one fretted, the other fretless and carried them around in hefty flight cases, the reason why his basses looked like they went through a war zone is that Jaco had quite an affinity of ending his solo spots by doing THIS.

There is so much footage of Jaco chucking his bass to the floor or throwing it over his amps at the end of the solo, no wonder it ended up looking the way it did.
    [​IMG]
    That's properly destroyed.
    [​IMG]
    And here's how the bass looks today, lovingly restored but not so soon afterward it was stolen and poor Jaco fell on hard times, lived on the streets and was murdered in 1986.

NOPE.
    [​IMG]
    The breakers were prepped with their necks and bodies sawn right through so they would snap on impact. Also even after Stanley started working with Ibanez, there still would be Gibson Marauders, Sonex and later Invaders, ready for him to break.
    [​IMG]
    A piece of Marauder body, broken by Paul on stage in the eighties, a guitar doesn't break that way.

In fact the Gibsons remained as breakers well into the non-make up era of the band.

Nope, his Jag (He had only one) and his Lake Placid Blue Mustang didn't escape the mutilation process either. Both guitars got damaged quite severely but were always repaired.

By the time the "In Utero" tour came around both Cobain and Pat Smear got their hands on Fender Custom shop instruments and putting them through the wringer at which the people from Fender went "No you shouldn't break your custom shop guitars, we'll send you over a whole crate of Mexican made Strats for you to break!"

But once the MIM Strats arrived both Cobain and Smear started to use them as serious instruments too, actually liking them much more than the Custom Shop guitars.
    [​IMG]
    Pat Smear's "Flopsy" a guitar which was meant and used as a smasher but which survived the "In utero" tour and was kept by Smear.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It takes a lot of energy and stress to keep a guitar in mint condition. It also can hamper your playing and enjoyment. Kind of like trying to run a marathon in mint white sneakers every day without getting any dust or wear on them.
    Sometimes getting that first scratch and dent can take the pressure off and you can just enjoy playing without needing to baby the guitar.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Kebmel, idjster, aging_rocker and 2 others like this.
  9. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

C644345D-69A9-46A5-AF1C-F572653DEED4.jpeg EBBC7D96-494D-4458-9041-01A97804DF52.jpeg 25689CE6-826D-49E2-8856-6528CF7D8F8F.jpeg 36B63826-161F-4E55-A09C-418BA60B2C09.jpeg

Sonex ? Marauder ? Ibanez ? Epiphone ? Hair “metal” ? Pre-sawn ? ( Pete rolls eyes...:rolleyes: )

Showing the kids how it’s done since 1964...

11. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

It appears the OP has done a lot of thinking about this. But your grasp of words seems off to me.

Relicing is simulating playing wear. Adding things to guitars and breaking guitars are in a totally different category.

None of them compare to a naturally worn and loved guitar.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here’s the problem with that - being close enough to Elderly that I’ve been dozens and dozens of times, I would routinely run across 70s and 80s Telecasters and Stratocaster‘s.

The very first time I played a Relic Nocaster , a brand new guitar, I thought to myself ,
    This might be the best instrument that says “Fender” on the headstock that I’ve ever played.

Certainly better than a naturally worn and loved 1973 Telecaster they had in the store at the same time. 8.5 lbs of plastic-coated...something.

So every time I went to elderly or mandolin brothers or motor city guitar or any other store that I went to that I knew was a fender dealer, I would always check out the relics and invariably they were some of the best feeling and playing new guitars in the store.

It’s just easier to say “I completely hate the idea of an artificially worn Guitar and I will never buy one” , than to make blanket pronouncements on all guitars without “to me” at the end of the sentence.

I think most of the heavy relics by the custom shop are fairly ridiculous, and I don’t think they’ve ever gotten the metal part wear right and often the fingerboard wear spots are pretty funny.

But the majority of them that are lightweight with huge necks. Made me a believer.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I am pretty clumsy, I naturally relic my guitars.

idjster likes this.
  14. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

I won't argue that with you, but Nocaster relics are built by the custom shop. I'm not sure if comparing a '73 production model in the era of slipping quality control to a custom shop build is a fair fight. I'll still take the '73 for looks.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait a minute, didn't Jimi start all of this?
    IMG_4105.JPG

16. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I never liked seeing ANYONE smash or burn their guitars. When I was a kid, I'd watch Townsend or Hendrix trash their guitars and I'd think to myself... "I can't even afford one and they're just ruining theirs."

RodeoTex and Piggy Stu like this.
  17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

In 1981 I went to Holland. I was offered a spot as a bass player. I bought the cheapest Precision copy I could find - the brand name was "David Lewis". It was a natural finish, deep polyurethane. It looked "too new" and I wanted it to look like my 1972 P-Bass back in California. I tried everything to get that finish off. Lots of body damage, because that poly is tough! I burned the finish off the maple neck with a blow-torch. Spray-painted the body with a cheap rattle can. And I happened to have an old Precision decal...

We would go to gigs, and I didn't even have a case. We'd load the the gear out, and back in again. When all the amps were in there, I would just toss the bass on top. I can't even tell you how many times well-meaning fans would be hanging around, talking gear - young Dutch guys who loved guitars - and when I tossed that "old Precision" on top of the heap, they would say "Man, you can't do that!! It's a 1964 Precision!!" And I would wink and say "oh it ain't nothing but an old bass guitar, don't mean much to me!"

18. Blazer

Heh, funny how that goes, the reason why Leo Fender started to apply Poly finishes to his guitars is BECAUSE the nitro finishes started to flake and people were complaining about it.

A thick layer of poly will cure that for sure, there's no way that will wear off naturally unless you go at it with force.
    [​IMG]

Torren61 likes this.
  19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Hey Blazer, during his MM days?? Curious re where you got this bit of info... not saying its incorrect, I'd just like to know its source. I think there may be some truth to some finish issues back in the day tho I doubt the switch to Poly. Leo promptly dissolved his association with Mr. White and Walker and soon began manufacturing G&L's F-100's right along sided MM instruments at CLF Research.
    They were sprayed 100'% nitro as well as all other G&L models until sometime in the late 80's.
    My 2 Stingrays are nitro. There's weather checking... and they stink :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  20. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

When I saw the Who in San Diego, 27 AUG 1968, Pete's backline included a battered, torn up cabinet on the end, stage left. Grille torn and hanging, tolex ripped, etc. For the encore, "My Generation", a roadie handed him a Fender Jaguar, with which he abused only that cabinet and eventually smashed to pieces. So even then, they had started to be more careful about their real gear. I had a piece of the Jaguar for a while...

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.