1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Artist you should, but don't like

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by PhatBoy, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

I agree about 'Knights of Cydonia', but I kind of feel I should like Muse, because the way I see it, Matt Bellamy is one of the very few players who's doing something new with the guitar.

Unfortunately, the amount of in-your-face compression on their records means I've never been able to listen to an album of theirs all the way through.

2. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring old world I guess.

3. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

Jeff Beck. Just never got into him

4. Rat Island

Rat Island TDPRI Member

Hi Strat Mangler - I believe that certain guitarists would sound better if someone dropped a large brick on their effect units. I think Jeff Beck falls into that catagory. You can't argue with the man's musical history, I just wish he'd go back to basics. Just my opinion of course. Interesting clip with Kelly Clarkeson, thanks for posting that.

5. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jeff beck, Aerosmith, Brad Paisley, any jazz (or music in general) that has lots of fast notes and no melody

6. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

I never thought I'd ever quote Bo Diddley but I must ask: "Who do you love?"

7. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

My favourite hate list reasons ever! And I think Plinky, Plonky and Widdly should be the name of the next guitar supergroup.

8. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Really???? You must have missed this one:):

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The Rolling Stones, Muddy Waters, Dire Straits, Heart, Chris Isaak, Rush, Colin James, Taj Mahal, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Elvis Costello, The Duhks, Aerosmith, Al Green, Figgy Duff, The Pogues, Eva Cassidy, Bonnie Raitt, Derek Trucks Band, Eric Clapton, The Faces, Bill Evans, Chris Botti, Albert King, Sonny Landreth, Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, Robert Plant, Tom Petty, Aretha Franklin, Annie Lennox, U2, Bryan Ferry, Tom Cochrane, Bruce Springsteen, Bruce Cockburn, Sarah McLachlan, Little Feat, Buckwheat Zydeco, Paul Simon, Simon and Garfunkel, Dave Matthews, The Yardbirds, John Lee Hooker, ZZ Top, and on and on and on.

Jesus H., I make a short list of popular acts that I don't like, and a number of you guys think I pissed in Merle Haggard's beer. I have tens of thousands of songs on my computer and in my living room, songs that I like, by artists that I like, and yet, because I listed some of the biggest names in the TDPRI kingdom, some of you think I must just hate music.

10. Rat Island

Rat Island TDPRI Member

Also check out 'Bad Penny' by Rory. (Live at Montreux 1985)

Attached Files:

11. B25Gib

B25Gib TDPRI Member

Just one -
    JOHN SCOFIELD
    While I recognize his fusion style and talent, it does nothing for me.

12. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

I'm on the Bonamassa list. I just don't get that... :p I'd also add Nick Drake to that list. Some sort of folk God apparently, but to me he sounds like a whiny Englishman. And yeah, try as I might, SRV and Kenny Wayne Sheppard just don't move me. I'd rather hear John Lee Hooker any day of the week.

13. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

Careful there, Beachbum!

14. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

hush kelnet it's all good. Nobody thinks you hate anything. Lie down, take a deep breath of something, put the headphones on and relax to your favs...it's a big universe out there and nobody in it is trying to get you...say that ten times to yourself slowly lol

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol:

That's pretty good, coming from the guy who asked "Who do you love?"

By the way, did you notice Figgy Duff on my list? :D

16. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The flaw in this theory is every single guitarist who's "greatness should be obvious " has been mentioned in this thread as an example that someone doesn't like or get.

17. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

This is a great response , you actually know why you don't like his playing.

18. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

I'll leave out styles I don't care for like shredding, but for styles I do like:
    -Jeff Beck. I just don't get it.
    -BB King & Bo Diddly I never got, But I do like other blues legends (Albert, Freddie, etc).
    -Derek Trucks has never grabbed my attention, but I love pretty much all other Allman players
    -Although they are both well regarded players in that realm- I like Brad Paisleys playing but not Keith Urbans
    -lots of responses here disliking Bonamassa. I don't dislike his playing but I'm disappointed that someone who was a child prodigy isn't doing things now that are more interesting to me.
    - oh yeah...I'm 38

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

You're welcome.

It took a long time to understand this concept, but oftentimes, there are some gems hidden here and there. That Jeff Beck/Clarkson clip is one fine gem, IMHO. If I had not watched it based on the fact that Beck plays on it, I would have missed out.

That's why I posted a bunch of clips on page 6. Sometimes, these exceptions can be gamechangers. :)

20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Should like? You mean widely regarded by others without as much taste and discernment as I have? :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.