1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Artist with best stage banter

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Titletone, Sep 26, 2020.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

This is the best stage banter ever recorded, starts at 6:00.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Friggin’ Had me in stitches! My first ever concert was Kiss during the “Dynasty” tour. I was 8 years old back then. I’m sure Paul was doing the same (“Helllooo San Francisco!”....) during that show, not that I would recall because I was too preoccupied with the lasers and smoke emitting from Ace Frehley’s Les Paul! Magic for an 8 year old.

Northern Tele likes this.
  4. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Colin Hay, the song about the goats

Boreas, Greggorios and artdecade like this.
  5. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats is great. He has a weird mix of self-aware goofiness and funny dadliness about him towards the audience that's an excellent experience. Basically every show is tiny, so he's extremely involved with the crowd and will just tell stories and jokes between songs, or even in the middle of some.

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

+1

Robert Earl Keen spins a good yarn, too.

willie ray likes this.
  7. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

Tom Waits introducing "Jitterbug Boy" at the Wiltern Theatre in LA, November 9, 1987: "I saw a place just outside of Western. A place that sells 'Used Erotica'. Think about it! Will they clean it? WHO cleans it? Are they licensed? All these questions came to my head. HOW used is it? WHO used it? You follow me? There's a place... there's a theatre right outside Western with seven X's... I mean double X, okay. Triple X, eeheh. But SEVEN X's? Girls without skin?! That's all I could think. You know? THAT I want to see. 'Come here, baby! You're a doll. I love you...' Okay..."

https://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom waits library/www.tomwaitslibrary.com/monologues.html

8. willie ray

willie ray Tele-Meister

Ray Wylie Hubbard's a bit of a character too...
    from his intro to Redneck Mother...
    " I went to see Bob Dylan once 'cause I wanted to hear him do Masters Of War,
    and he didn't do it,or he did it and I didn't recognise it."

Greggorios and Fiesta Red like this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I also like artists who do exactly the opposite—no banter, no talking, no introduction of the songs, just bust right out of the gate and play like crazy.

Bernard Allison inspired me to play fast and hard; he starts the first song, and outside of introducing the band toward the end of the set, there’s little or no stage banter—he lets the songs do the talking.

I used to introduce songs and tell little jokes between the songs, but I realized it ruined all momentum we had built up...so instead, I just play the songs.
    I’ll still throw in a one-liner or goofy smart-aleck comment here and there, but no stories, no introductions—and it works better for our stage show.

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, but... this post is like the guy that drops into a the Stomp Box forum to say the best tone is "guitar to cable to amp."

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

+2

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Frampton. Dougie Thompson from Supertramp is good as well.

13. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Ringo Starr, every time I’ve seen the All Starr Band - he has a great personality for a superstar!
    On another spectrum, Carlos Santana, every show included a meditative prayer for peace!

Greggorios and JSMac like this.
  14. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Rock and Rollllllllll....do you want some Rock and Rolllllllllll!!!!

15. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

16. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Tab Benoit, Buddy Guy, BB King.

17. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Saw them live in 85 and hated it for the sole reason of Paul not shutting up. Even to a 14 year old, even by the standards of arena rock lameness, it was embarrassing. They felt too old for their time even then, so while they tried to be hair metal OGs, they also had to rip on new wave and pop like all the other bro-rock idiots of that time.

The "banter" was empty and canned to boot. Someone had thrown a Michael Jackson doll on stage, so there was a set piece about MJ being gay/'Beat It'/one glove. It was so long, you'd be forgiven for wondering if the doll might've been a plant (those of us in the first row saw the roadie plant it). Then there was ten minutes of "baby, that ain't no pistol that's my LOVE GUN," and another treatise before R&R All Night (spoiler alert: They also party every day). Every song was like Springsteen, but instead of some poignant story it was a grown man in leotards and ten tons of hair spray making fun of pop's greatest star at the time. For being effeminate.

Queensryche were on their very first tour, played most of the EP and the first album, Geoff Tate said maybe ten words, and seven of them were 'Thank you Dallas. We're Queensryche from Seattle.' Blew KISS off stage and it wasn't even close.

Northern Tele and spurgie79 like this.
  18. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

When I read the thread title, Todd was the first thing that popped into my head. :)

19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Johnny Thunders. He was good at dishing it out, but I think he respected you more if you gave it right back to him. At least that's the way it went down around the NYC metro area.

20. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Bruce.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.