Artist Who Went From Solo To A Band?

johnny7

Tele-Meister
I'll clear up one thing you might not know. George Harrison was in a band called The Beatles, then he went solo, then Willburys. But he was not known as a solo artist...he was a Beatle.

Dylan and Orbison may fit the question. Successful solo artists who joined a band. But Petty? Is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers really a solo project?
George Harrison was a Beatle and then he went solo. I would even posit further that the Travelling Willburies was George Harrisons first band were he was a true equal to his bandmates.

I would classify Tom Petty as a solo artist the same way Bruce Springsteen is. Both are the band leaders and both hire their backing band. The E Street Band did not sell their catalogue as they do not have one as they are employees/independent contractors of Bruce Springsteem Inc. (I do not know what his corpration is called). Similarily, the Heartbreakers was the name of Tom Petty's backing band. The Heartbreakers only existed to support Tom Petty and were employees/independent contractors of Tom Petty Inc.

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
I don't know this Segovia guy, and believe me, I watched a lot of MTV in my youth, and never once did I see any video by Segovia. Never even saw him do an MTV Unplugged or Spring Break show. Clearly he doesn't fit the criteria of being a successful solo artist.
This is a joke right? It’s hilarious.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Yes, very good.

Really? Mayer is still a solo artist so I'm not sure he fits ... just because he does a few jams with what's left of the Grateful Dead he didn't really 'go from being a solo artist to a band' did he? .... he's still a solo artist.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Really? Mayer is still a solo artist so I'm not sure he fits ... just because he does a few jams with what's left of the Grateful Dead he didn't really 'go from being a solo artist to a band' did he? .... he's still a solo artist.

He performs with them as a member, no? It's not a guest spot. It's not a here and there appearance.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I contacted a friend who is encyclopedic re: Neil Young. He says Nils Lofgren played zero dates with Crazy Horse during Rust Never Sleeps tour. he has notebooks and notes etc about all of it.

Memory is an imperfect and inaccurate tool. You saw Frank.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
He performs with them as a member, no? It's not a guest spot. It's not a here and there appearance.

Ah maybe, I don't really know anything about them. I just presumed as he was still releasing solo material this was more of side thing.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I don't know this Segovia guy, and believe me, I watched a lot of MTV in my youth, and never once did I see any video by Segovia. Never even saw him do an MTV Unplugged or Spring Break show. Clearly he doesn't fit the criteria of being a successful solo artist.
This is one of the most ill-informed, baffling, luddite comments I've ever read in a guitar forum.
Am I to understand that you believe that if an artist (any artist) has not appeared on MTV that they are not successful ?

Surely you acknowledge that there exist other genres that don't fit in on a video playlist ?
I too once believed that the world revolved around EmptyTV for about fifteen minutes in the early '80s. :rolleyes:

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
This is one of the most ill-informed, baffling, luddite comments I've ever read in a guitar forum.
Am I to understand that you believe that if an artist (any artist) has not appeared on MTV that they are not successful ?

Surely you acknowledge that there exist other genres that don't fit in on a video playlist ?
I too once believed that the world revolved around EmptyTV for about fifteen minutes in the early '80s. :rolleyes:

Your dictionary doesn't come with the word "irony" and "comedy," does it?