Artist Who Went From Solo To A Band?

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Haggar was in a band, Montrose.

And Nils Lofgren before joining the E Street Band was in the band Crazy Horse.

We are looking for solo artists (not guys who played in successful bands) who went from solo to a band. Bruno Mars, for example.
Sammy Hagar was a big solo band leader between Montrose & VH. The band was called Sammy Hagar. He was selling larger shows than Montrose and at the same level as VH.

So he may not qualify as singer songwriter at the coffee shoppe.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Sammy Hagar was a big solo band leader between Montrose & VH. The band was called Sammy Hagar. He was selling larger shows than Montrose and at the same level as VH.

So he may not qualify as singer songwriter at the coffee shoppe.

Yeah, I know he a solo artist - he was the opening act when I saw Boston back in the '70s. But that solo act was long before his solo success of "Three Lock Box" or "Can't Drive 55." Montrose was bigger than Hagar solo pre-MTV.

warrent

Friend of Leo's
Dylan and Orbison may fit the question. Successful solo artists who joined a band. But Petty? Is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers really a solo project?
I guess by your standards they don't count either. They were both in bands before going solo. I'm not sure anyone does.

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
So wait a minute....you are going to believe Wikipedia over a guy who was literally front row at that show?

Front row! Neal Young was literally 15 inches in front of me. So was Nils.

I didn’t trust a word you said when your username was Taxer, then you got banned under that name. Didn’t trust you as StrummerTele either. But you got banned under that name too. Figure it’s just a matter of time Mr Bond.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
So wait a minute....you are going to believe Wikipedia over a guy who was literally front row at that show?

Front row! Neal Young was literally 15 inches in front of me. So was Nils.
Lofgren replaced Whitten on one Crazy Horse solo band record in the early '70s, which did not feature Neil Young.

Frank "Pancho" Sampedro was Whitten's full time replacement in Crazy Horse, until he retired a year or two ago.

Unless he was ill the night you saw Neil, and Nils filled in, it was Sampedro.

Nils did tour with Neil after the Tonight's The Night record, and again for the Trans tour.

Nils did 2-3 records with Grin, but achieved his greatest success as a solo artist in the mid-'70s. He also continued his solo career after joining the E-Street Band.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
Obvious choices? None of your choices are right. Yeah, they had solo experiences, but they were in bands before joining bands. That's certainly not what this thread is about. We can name thousands and thousands of guys who were in bands before joining another band. What's the challenge in that? This thread is about successful solo artist who then goes to a band situation.

Prior to The Eagles, Walsh was in the band The James Gang.

Haggar was in a band, Montrose.

And Nils Lofgren before joining the E Street Band was in the band Crazy Horse.

We are looking for solo artists (not guys who played in successful bands) who went from solo to a band. Bruno Mars, for example.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
Is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers really a solo project?
Tom Petty was signed as a solo artist, right after he came to California with Mudcrutch. The first record, altho titled as such, was not a TP and HBs record - lots of other people played on it, and the band had not yet formed.

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
Do you doubt that Nils was a member of Crazy Horse? I said that.

Not until 2018. Maybe if we keep going around and around you’ll say something that will get you banned again and then we will have a few months without your board pollution.

You know I always know it’s you? It’s because you absolutely cannot stop talking about Billy Duffy. Pretty niche fave.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Not until 2018. Maybe if we keep going around and around you’ll say something that will get you banned again and then we will have a few months without your board pollution.

You really think Nils Lofgren joined Crazy Horse in 2018!?!
My God.

The debate here is whether Nils was a solo artist before joining the E Street Band. That would make him a great example for this thread -- solo artist then joins a band. But, as I pointed out, Nils was a member of the band Crazy Horse before joining the E Street Band.

You really didn't know that? You really think he became a member in 2018?

You weren't around for the '70s, were you?

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
You know I always know it’s you? It’s because you absolutely cannot stop talking about Billy Duffy. Pretty niche fave.

So you think a guitarist who has amassed numerous gold records and toured the globe countless times is a niche guy only known by some guy named Taxman and StrummerJoe?

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
You really think Nils Lofgren joined Crazy Horse in 2018!?!
My God.

The debate here is whether Nils was a solo artist before joining the E Street Band. That would make him a great example for this thread -- solo artist then joins a band. But, as I pointed out, Nils was a member of the band Crazy Horse before joining the E Street Band.

You really didn't know that? You really think he became a member in 2018?

You weren't around for the '70s, were you?

This is the exact kind of behavior that has gotten you banned before, once as Taxer, once as StrummerTele, and I think you also had another username that I can’t remember now.

Nils obviously played with Neil Young, and also played with Crazy Horse, but was not a member of Crazy Horse until after Frank retired.

Every Neil Young fan understands the difference between a Neil Young and Crazy Horse record and a Neil Young record.

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
So you think a guitarist who has amassed numerous gold records and toured the globe countless times is a niche guy only known by some guy named Taxman and StrummerJoe?

Taxer, StrummerTele, and now Moonraker5 are all users who have joined the board, immediately started posting threads that beg for lists (4 iconic guitars, ugly bands, etc), then nitpick and fight with other members in the comments until they got/get banned. They also all happen to LOVE Billy Duffy, who almost nobody cares about because The Cult is very very boring and corny.

Here are some examples of threads that fit this pattern by your previous usernames:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/i-name-the-guitar-brand-you-name-the-top-three-artists.589650/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/i-am-...uitar-from-top-4-guitar-manufacturers.378447/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-big-four-of-iconic-guitars.1098360/

These threads are all exactly the same, and you do the exact same nitpicking s***stirring in each one. Just go away dude, we are so so tired of it.

davidchagrin

Tele-Afflicted

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-175425.png
    Screenshot_20220410-175425.png
    490.2 KB · Views: 11

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Taxer, StrummerTele, and now Moonraker5 are all users who have joined the board, immediately started posting threads that beg for lists (4 iconic guitars, ugly bands, etc), then nitpick and fight with other members in the comments until they got/get banned. They also all happen to LOVE Billy Duffy, who almost nobody cares about because The Cult is very very boring and corny.

Here are some examples of threads that fit this pattern by your previous usernames:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/i-name-the-guitar-brand-you-name-the-top-three-artists.589650/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/i-am-...uitar-from-top-4-guitar-manufacturers.378447/

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-big-four-of-iconic-guitars.1098360/

These threads are all exactly the same, and you do the exact same nitpicking s***stirring in each one. Just go away dude, we are so so tired of it.
Now it all makes sense. This has been a really lovely, friendly forum the time I've been here, and then recently there are a couple of threads that are just nastily argumentative and unpleasant. Okay, now I get it. Thanks for posting this. I'll now just ignore anywhere that I spot that contributor.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
I don't know this Segovia guy, and believe me, I watched a lot of MTV in my youth, and never once did I see any video by Segovia. Never even saw him do an MTV Unplugged or Spring Break show. Clearly he doesn't fit the criteria of being a successful solo artist.
Ha ha ha!
You kill me with those ridiculous arguments.

Videos, MTV, Spring brake shows.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
According to Wikiwhatever Bruno Mars was part of a number of projects before he launched his solo career.