Artist Who Went From Solo To A Band?

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Easy to find artists from a successful band who left to go solo. Peter Gabriel, Paul Weller, Lou Reed, John Lennon.... But how about the other way around: leave a successful solo career to join a band?

The only one I can think of is....Bruno Mars. Super successful solo artist, hit after hit; but he left that to join a band called Silk Sonic.

Any other successful solo artists who joined/formed a band?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Bob Mould went from being solo to forming Sugar (of course he was in Husker Du before being solo though)

Jason Falkner made solo albums and is now a regular part of the recording and touring band of Beck and more recently playing with St. Vincent, I'm pretty sure he's only part of the touring band though. .. and maybe you'd consider Beck and St. Vincent as solo acts rather than 'a band' anyway.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Joe Walsh joining the Eagles, Sammy Hagar joining Van Halen, and Nils Lofgren joining the E Street Band seem like obvious choices.

Obvious choices? None of your choices are right. Yeah, they had solo experiences, but they were in bands before joining bands. That's certainly not what this thread is about. We can name thousands and thousands of guys who were in bands before joining another band. What's the challenge in that? This thread is about successful solo artist who then goes to a band situation.

Prior to The Eagles, Walsh was in the band The James Gang.

Haggar was in a band, Montrose.

And Nils Lofgren before joining the E Street Band was in the band Crazy Horse.

We are looking for solo artists (not guys who played in successful bands) who went from solo to a band. Bruno Mars, for example.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Bowie in Tin Machine….I know, Bowie looms large…but he said it was a band….

Yeah, this is an example of solo to band. However, not a great example because, as you said, Bowie looms large in Tin Machine. I see it as a Bowie solo outing...he just gave the other players and himself a band name.

But technically you are right.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
How about Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty in the Traveling Wilburries? Arguably, Jeff Lynne is the only one who did not have a successful solo career.

I'll clear up one thing you might not know. George Harrison was in a band called The Beatles, then he went solo, then Willburys. But he was not known as a solo artist...he was a Beatle.

Dylan and Orbison may fit the question. Successful solo artists who joined a band. But Petty? Is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers really a solo project?

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
Obvious choices? None of your choices are right. Yeah, they had solo experiences, but they were in bands before joining bands. That's certainly not what this thread is about. We can name thousands and thousands of guys who were in bands before joining another band. What's the challenge in that? This thread is about successful solo artist who then goes to a band situation.

Prior to The Eagles, Walsh was in the band The James Gang.

Haggar was in a band, Montrose.

And Nils Lofgren before joining the E Street Band was in the band Crazy Horse.

We are looking for solo artists (not guys who played in successful bands) who went from solo to a band. Bruno Mars, for example.

Nils Lofgren was in a band called Grin with his brother, with the name being an obvious reference to their last name. Pretty close to being a solo artist if you ask me.

He was not a member of Crazy Horse until after Frank Sampedro retired a few years ago. Danny Whitten was the original Crazy Horse guitarist, then Frank “Poncho” Sampedro joined after Danny died.

Nils did play on After the Gold Rush, which is not a Neil Young with Crazy Horse record.

If you want to be a know it all, you have to actually know it all, ya know?

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Nils Lofgren was in a band called Grin with his brother, with the name being an obvious reference to their last name. Pretty close to being a solo artist if you ask me.

He was not a member of Crazy Horse until after Frank Sampedro retired a few years ago. Danny Whitten was the original Crazy Horse guitarist, then Frank “Poncho” Sampedro joined after Danny died.

Nils did play on After the Gold Rush, which is not a Neil Young with Crazy Horse record.

If you want to be a know it all, you have to actually know it all, ya know?

Hey, I saw Neil on the Rust Never Sleeps Tour. His backing band was Crazy Horse. The guitarist in Crazy Horse on that stage was Nils Lofgren. I don't need Wikipedia to tell me what I saw that night. Nils was a member of the band Crazy Horse.

This thread is looking for solo guys who later joined bands. Nils is a band guy who later joined another band. He and about 768,000 other guys have done that.

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey, I saw Neil on the Rust Never Sleeps Tour. His backing band was Crazy Horse. The guitarist in Crazy Horse on that stage was Nils Lofgren. I don't need Wikipedia to tell me what I saw that night. Nils was a member of the band Crazy Horse.

This thread is looking for solo guys who later joined bands. Nils is a band guy who later joined another band. He and about 768,000 other guys have done that.

C8022A69-41A7-4EB3-850B-7411C4D3D2D4.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Young_&_Crazy_Horse_Tour_1978

I didn’t need Wikipedia either, but here it is for you. Seems like you were mistaken.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Segovia probably did a lot of solo appearances and eventually played with orchestras or symphonies
. Do I win?

I don't know this Segovia guy, and believe me, I watched a lot of MTV in my youth, and never once did I see any video by Segovia. Never even saw him do an MTV Unplugged or Spring Break show. Clearly he doesn't fit the criteria of being a successful solo artist.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister