Artist that you think are even better Live than recorded

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Wrong way, Mar 3, 2018.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Davy Knowles
    John Mayer
    Muse
    Snarky Puppy
    JD Simo
    Pearl Jam

Oddly enough I like the Greatful Dead’s studio albums better than their live bootlegs. Give me workingman’s dead and American beauty over any of their live stuff all day long.

Random1643 and adamnewtonguitar like this.
  2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dave Matthews. His live shows are amazing, but the studio albums, I thought were the worst.

3. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

When you listen to him it's had to believe that he's a young bloke from Katherine here in Oz

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I read through this thread and I agree with almost everyone's comments. It really got me thinking and looking at my personal music collection. Most of what I have is from YouTube downloads and I search for live performances. You can find some great duets. Tiny Desk concerts and Bing Lounge aren't necessarily acoustic performances but there are no 100W amps in them and pedal boards are usually left home. I like my music spare. I heard Sarah McLaughlin in concert a couple of years back, just her and a piano or an acoustic guitar; no distracting techno band. It was a great performance. It had intimacy in an outdoor venue. But stuff like that doesn't play well on the radio. Recorded music is often a little too structured and formulaic for my tastes. Who do I really like live? Jason Isbell and Chris Stapleton. Many years ago I heard Pure Prairie League outdoors at Faneuil Hall in Boston and they were better than any recording they ever made.

P Bill likes this.
  5. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Umphrey’s McGee — some good stuff from the studio but they live to play live, when songs morph and blend in new ways all the time. (Sadly Brendan Bayliss’s vocals remain an acquired taste...)

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Every Southern band ever, Allman Brothers, Skynrd, Marshall Tucker, the Winter Bros., SRV to name a few.
    Every great British band ever, Clapton, Beck, Page (before HOH), Fleetwood Mac before B/N, Savoy Brown, The Who, Traffic, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Spooky Tooth, Glimmer Twins, Gary Moore, Dave Mason and many others.
    All the West Coast bands, Dead (when they were rocking, not playing space music), Big Brother, Quicksilver, CJ and the Fish, Santana, any iteration of CSNY alone or together, Poco, the Byrds, Eagles, Springfield, It's a Beautiful Day, Airplane and Hot Tuna, Randy California with any version of Spirit, and many more.
    James Gang, Barnstorm, Chicago, Robben Ford, Sco, Carlton, Jean Luc Ponty, Scott Henderson, Mike Stern, Tuck and Patti, Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson.
    Canadians- the Guess Who, BTO, Bryan Adams w/Keith Scott.
    and many, many more, 'cause the best musicians are always better live.

7. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

I have seen many but two bands that really stood out were the Steve Miller Band and Linasfarme.

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Of the ones I have seen perform live, I would have to say:

KISS in 1975.
    Foghat in 1975 or 1976.
    Leslie West and Mountain in 1976.
    Edgar Winter Band w/Rick Derringer in 1991.
    Neil Finn and Crowded House in 1992 and 2010.

I saw Three Dog Night live in the mid-1970's, but it was after Chuck Negron left.
    The band and singing were excellent, but I wouldn't put their show on that list.
    Jimmy Greenspoon was excellent though.

Styxx, also in the mid 1970's, were wonderful live, but their original recordings were a bit better.

Same with Hall and Oates in the mid 1980's.
    A very exciting arena concert experience, and I was blessed to see GE Smith and T-Bone Wolk live and on stage.
    The band was tight, but to be fair, Daryl Hall was less singing than rapping most of the lyrics.
    It was near the end of the Pontiac Fiero sponsored tour, and I think he was just tired of singing those songs.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. :(

9. Wrong way

Wrong way TDPRI Member

Here you go I found a live video clip of Hall and Oates in 1976

10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="JL_LI, post: 8215376, member: 136308]I like my music spare. I heard Sarah McLaughlin in concert a couple of years back, just her and a piano or an acoustic guitar; no distracting techno band. It was a great performance. It had intimacy in an outdoor venue. [/QUOTE]
    You should search Youtube for Jason Mraz garden ootmarsden.

JL_LI likes this.
  11. Wrong way

Wrong way TDPRI Member

Etta James and Doctor John "I'd Rather Go Blind" live

P Bill likes this.
  12. ConsiderMeMiles

ConsiderMeMiles Tele-Meister

Because this is a guitar site: Charlie Hunter.

Hunter is good on record, but it's a near spiritual experience seeing him live. His technical prowess is the most humbling musical experience I've ever encountered.

13. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I'll have to admit that I enjoy both The Byrds & The Eagles whether live or studio - although, The Eagles as a live band aren't/weren't much as far as excitement. The live act may have improved since Vince Gill is with them now but....as far as I'm concerned, I get the same effect listening to their CDs that I do watching them in concert. Their live shows are just a copy of their studio albums since they rarely (if ever) stray from playing the songs the same way every night. I can't help but think that Don Henley is bound to be getting bored by the whole thing by now....but, since it brings in $$$, I'm probably wrong.

14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I was talking about the original Eagles before Felder even. That's the only time I saw them. I much preferred Joe Walsh with Barnstorm, and Timmy with Poco.
    I pretty much don't go to concerts anymore for the very reasons you mentioned- I wont pay a fortune for a ticket just to see them going though the motions (phoning it in). And no one comes to Hawaii anyway.
    But, blues players like Robben Ford, Debbie Davies, Kenny Neal, Tab Benoit, Walter Trout, and Ronny Earl are still great live.
    And the always superb Radiators, who unfortunately have retired.
    And then there's always the amazing Steve Kimmock, who I've never seen more recently, but saw many times with Zero.

15. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Foo Fighters.

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

The two biggest examples of this for me were the Eagles Hotel California tour, and Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers tour.

Both were good to excellent albums. But they were probably the two best concerts I ever attended.

17. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Phil Keggy..also his old band Kings X, come to think of it.

elihu likes this.
  18. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Most decent bands are gonna be better live than actual album recordings.

Queen is an interesting one. On record they were absolutely sublime, but could pull off a lot of amazing stuff live. Just saw them again the other week with Adam Lambert - very well done. I saw them in 86, fantastic show.

Bands like Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac, while brilliant in the studio, just bought so much extra to their material live. Another great example from my youth was Frampton Comes Alive. Still gotta be one of the best live albums ever, but listen to the original recordings of some of those songs and they just don't compare!

Big hats off to the Who mentions as well. And although I never got to see them, for me Led Zep was one of the best coming across live.

19. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I saw them around that time too. It was like riding inside a big muff- fuzzed out to perfection. So raw and raunchy. Great stuff. Not a huge fan of their acoustic stuff live though.

P Bill and demon like this.
  20. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jethro Tull, Little Feat, SRV, Frank Zappa, Allman Bros.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.