Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith and his 1948 recording...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by trapdoor2, Jul 28, 2021.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We're having a discussion over on BHO (Banjohangout) about this and I thought it interesting enough to post here.

So, Arthur Smith records "Guitar Boogie" in 1945 but MGM doesn't release it until 1948. Big hit, seminal recording...linked to early Rock and Roll, etc.

In the meantime, Apollo releases "Banjo Boogie" by Harry Reser...in 1947. Obviously this is an 'interpretation' of "Guitar Boogie", right? Nice steel guitar work and of course, Reser is amazing on the banjo.

Reser recorded most of his output between 1924 and 1930 (scores of recordings). He stayed in music the rest of his life (d. 1968) and moved into radio and TV after WWII, conducting and arranging, etc. I wonder why he suddenly jumped back in with a "cover"? Mid-life crisis? Did he see Arthur Smith do it live somewhere and think "That's good...I can do that!" I guess we'll never know...

mrfitz98, oldunc, Mike M and 3 others like this.
  2. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I really like that style. While I was listening my wife , who’s busy in the next room, asked if if l was playing or listening. Maybe she doesn’t know the difference but I can certainly hear it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  3. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Arthur was a great talent. When I was a kid back in the 1960's, he had a syndicated TV show which aired regionally in the southeast.

4. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Afflicted

History aside, a couple of pretty cool cuts, thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.