Arthritis

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Just be glad you don't have gout. That [email protected]#% ain't no joke.
Hey. I have a scrip for colchicine that I'm supposed to take twice a day. I take 1/day and it keeps the gout away. If/when I eat red meat, I sometimes take 2/day. I don't know if it's bad for me in any way but it has keeps the gout at bay most of the time. Yes, I've gotten it bad especially in my ankle where I can hardly walk on it for a few days. Check it out.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread....

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Osteo variety here and there ain’t a damn thing they can do for me!

Not an inflammatory condition but damages that got me arthritis also got me various tendencies to inflammation, so I consume all sorts of non drug anti inflammatory compounds like fish oil, curcumin, EVOO, garlic, I think hot peppers have a compound and I forget what else.
Same thing for me, just regular old osteoarthritis.

Along with eating stuff like you mention, I try to avoid fried food, red meat, and processed stuff that's a carbfest.

I'm lucky in that mine doesn't really interfere with my ability to play guitar. But where it's super bad is in my feet and ankles, which sometimes makes even minimal walking really hard. If I have a bacon cheeseburger or shrimp poboy the night before, I know I'll pay for it dearly the next morning.

Oh yeah - the fish oil (and fatty fish) are also great for your heart and brain, too. So more than one reason to eat them.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
1658153207374.png

My Mom's hands look like this (she's 79) and I apparently have inherited it from her as well.

Started having issues with my fretting first finger (can only bend about 50 degrees) and then pain in my pinkies. Doctor prescribed Meloxicam for the pain. I still have to work on getting flexibility before I start playing.

zimbo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm lucky in that mine doesn't really interfere with my ability to play guitar. But where it's super bad is in my feet and ankles, which sometimes makes even minimal walking really hard. If I have a bacon cheeseburger or shrimp poboy the night before, I know I'll pay for it dearly the next morning.
I have ankle osteoarthritis which is very painful. I need fusions done. I can play guitar except a dr removed an arthritis cyst from my pinky which completely wrecked that finger..

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Same thing for me, just regular old osteoarthritis.

Along with eating stuff like you mention, I try to avoid fried food, red meat, and processed stuff that's a carbfest.

Oh yeah - the fish oil (and fatty fish) are also great for your heart and brain, too. So more than one reason to eat them.
Right, so many anti-inflammatory condition diets benefit us is many other ways.
And many inflammatory conditions are actually caused by the commonly terrible fast food treats and snacks based American diet, or if not caused by then worsened by.

Seems like American doctors just facepalm through their days knowing they will tell patient after patient to stop self harming, and get no results because we idealize our freedom to gorge on essentially toxic "foods".

A lot of the details I read up on and adjusted for in my diet, I then forget the science behind it.
Crazy though how many ways the classic recreation eating American diet harms us, and how much many ways eating better in specifically targeted ways improves health.

Maine salmon farming is in bays, big pens in the actual clean ocean water. Farm raised fish has a less than stellar rep with things like shrimp raised in ditches full of rancid water and chicken $#it.
But much farmed seafood is good, and when salmon is $7.99/ lb I sit down and eat a 1lb fillet!
Price jumps back and forth to $12.99/ lb which I dont pay, but damn is that stuff good!
Better than a burger and cheaper than a burger out.

Another funny side benefit to a period of eating healthy is that most junk food just stops being attractive!
Sort of like primarily / only meeting gals (or guys) when drinking in bars.
Switch to meeting romantic interests in healthier clear headed situations, and the bar hookups dont look so good any more!

Edit: forgot that while osteo is technically not an inflammatory condition, inflammation is often caused by or associated with it.
So an anti-inflammatory diet is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Hope the meds work. I have osteoarthritis in my hips, shoulders & neck.
Luckily not my hands.
I take prescription & non-prescription drugs incl codeine, omega-3, CBD & glucosamine.
I may not be able to walk first thing in the morning,
but at least I can play my geetar!

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
After only two days of prednisone, inflammation is noticeably reduced - can't imagine how great it'll be after the who!e course over a month!

Tomorrow starts the methotrexate.
It's been about 8 years+ for me and there are many ups and downs. Be careful with the prednisone and other steroids. I gained 80 lbs because I was on them so long. But I couldn't get off them because the pain was so intense that it even hurt in my soft tissue let alone bones and joints. I spent almost 3 months in bed recovering from a flare up.

I went from Methotrexate to Humira to Embrel to Stelara to Cosentyx to Taltz and now Skyrizi. My doctors say I have a smart immune system and every time they throw something at it the system adjusts and I have to change medicines. I would make sure to get the best insurance you can afford. My Skyrizi is $18,725.00 per dose 4 times a year. There are copay assistance programs out there. Best wishes in finding relief. You can PM me if you need more info.

BroGreg

Tele-Meister
We make our own joint rub with like 1/4lb of good bud infused into coconut oil in my rice cooker

Another vote for cannabis-infused coconut oil. All natural anti-inflammatory treatment has been used for centuries. If the kind bud is legal in your state it's such a breeze to make your own.

Somehow, I don't think big pharma has your best interests at heart..

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Another vote for cannabis-infused coconut oil. All natural anti-inflammatory treatment has been used for centuries. If the kind bud is legal in your state it's such a breeze to make your own.

Somehow, I don't think big pharma has your best interests at heart..
Pardon my ignorance, but even if it's not legal in one's given state, isn't this the kind of thing that someone might be eligible to go to a dispensary for? For instance, it's not legal here in MD, but I know of folks who get some type of card from their doctor, for some conditions. I'd have to think that arthritis would be an eligible condition.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I notice a lot more inflammation after beef or alcohol. Diet is important! Also use cannabis rub, which is free since I live in SoCal and grow it. I have seriously bad reactions to everything except advil and tramadol, but I can only take two advils a day or 1/4 of a tramadol or my diverticulitis becomes inflamed. Good Luck!

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Pardon my ignorance, but even if it's not legal in one's given state, isn't this the kind of thing that someone might be eligible to go to a dispensary for? For instance, it's not legal here in MD, but I know of folks who get some type of card from their doctor, for some conditions. I'd have to think that arthritis would be an eligible condition.
CBD, from hemp is legal in all 50 states thanks to the farm bill of 2018. CBD cream works very well, but THC + CBD cream works better. And actually it's CBDA and THCA. The "raw" form is an acid which allows it to more quickly pass through cell membranes. It is not psychoactive in it's raw form. Simply mixing some with rubbing alcohol works well too. It's an old *OLD* remedy for arthritis pain, over 100 years.

BroGreg

Tele-Meister
..even if it's not legal in one's given state, isn't this the kind of thing that someone might be eligible to go to a dispensary for?
Indeed 11 Gauge.. my remarks were just giving a nod to the cost savings to be had by growing your own.

Living an a fixed income, as a lot of arthritis sufferers are, who doesn't want to save a buck or two for other things?..

jimd

Friend of Leo's
RA here. I was on methotrexate for awhile. I wasn't a fan. You can't drink alcohol while taking it, which was no fun. It also makes you nauseous. They should tell you to take it at night so you sleep through most of it. You should also take folic acid. It took me a long time, and several doctors before I hit on the right combination of doctor and medication that worked for me. While I'm all for alternative treatments and pain relieving natural products, its important to take a Disease Modifying AntiRheumatic Drug (DMARD) like methotrexate to minimize the eventual joint damage.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
My rheumatologist gave me a prescription for the folic acid, so I'm good there. They want me to take 4 methotrexate pills at once, once a week, plus the folic acid, plus whatever prednisone I'm scheduled for that week (4 a day this week, 3/day next week, tapering off for 2 more weeks). Today was the first day for the methotrexate and no nausea, so that's good. We'll see what happens as it goes on...

Thanks for all the info! It's good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this here.

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
i have osteoarthritis in my big toes, no cartilage, plus gout. also in my right and left index fingers as well as left middle and pinky fingers. doctor has me on 300mg allupurinol for gout and it has helped. also voltaren for the osteo stuff. it helps a little. even tho i was never a big red meat eater, i now eat chicken and salmon. a lot of salad vegetables, particularly green colored. when i take my 3.5 mile walk every day, i continually do exercises for my shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers. this is the only way i'm able to play guitar but i try not to do barre chords, mainly triads. at least i can still play and i'm thankful for that.

play music!

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
While I'm all for alternative treatments and pain relieving natural products, its important to take a Disease Modifying AntiRheumatic Drug (DMARD) like methotrexate to minimize the eventual joint damage.
^ This. Best of luck with finding the right DMARD.

I haven’t been diagnosed with PA or RA, but I’ve had some kind of joint inflammation issue going on for decades, and it has caused permanent joint damage. This is my left hand, and I’m still in my 40s. It may be hard to see, but the knuckles are now oversized and my fingers are no longer straight. You should see my feet.

I don’t even what to think about what it will be like in 30 years.

8A17BF7C-CB06-4A5C-9CF8-FEE937C86009.jpeg

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I'm arthritic - some of my knuckles are starting to get weird. Some days my hands are like claws, other days there is no pain or stiffness at all. The doctor tried me with methotrexate, didn't get on with it at all, so stopped taking it.

THC helps a lot.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Living in Oklahoma, I have a cannabis card. We make our own joint rub with like 1/4lb of good bud infused into coconut oil in my rice cooker, easy to make, put ground up bud into a stocking hosery footie and soak it for 4hr in hot coconut oil. Keeps good in the fridge.
Last batch I made haď some bud that was 1:1 CBD & THC, it really works good
It's legal up here to buy and to grow up to four plants for personal use. My younger brother (70), who has arthritis in his fingers, used to use CBD (no THC) cream but nowadays he buys the cannabis gummies that have THC. He takes his dosage when he knows he's home for the day. His wife drives as well so it works for him.