Arthritis Doctor visit today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Preacher, Jul 13, 2021.

1. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Holic

Google, the 500 pound bozo on the internet?

unixfish and 39martind18 like this.
  2. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Back from the doctor, shots got. My right hand thumb and "social" finger are numb, but should feel great tomorrow. I asked how often this treatment can be done, and his answer surprised me: up to four times a year, and I was wrong about cumulative effects. He told me that the injection treatment could be used for the rest of my life, if necessary, so no more stretching out the time between treatments.

3. Bongoslade

Bongoslade Tele-Meister

what great news - i'm interested in your situation as i too suffer from "old-timing-man" disease
    i can just barely play my Bass any more. that's why i bought a nice Tele style guitar with a sweet C shape neck for the sore hands, watch the liver when i comes to taking a bunch of ibuprofen - it can damage your liver and kidneys if taking in large doses or for a long time - just saying.

i hope you fine relief my friend...! it's a constant search...

Archtops likes this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I am right there with ya! Went to the Dr two weeks ago have an MRI coming. I would rather kick it than be forced to stop playing!!! Good luck!! I hope it goes away for you!!!

P.S. Hurts when I shake my fist at a cloud…:oops:

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

I have arthritis of my left hand thumb joint. I wasn't able to turn a door knob without shooting pain in my hand. Playing guitar was painful, to the point where I couldn't play a bar chord without cringing. My hand was x-rayed and the Dr. said there was almost no synovial fluid in the joint. I did some research and found out about Turmeric. The stuff is almost magical. I drink a heaping tablespoon in water every evening. It took my pain down from a 9 to a 2. Now, the thumb joint is something I don't often think about. I can play guitar, lift weights, open doors, etc. without excruciating pain. Not all turmeric powders are the same, some batches have less efficacy. I notice the bad batch after a couple of days as the pain ratchets up. I just go purchase another brand and that usually takes care of it. If you go this route, it takes about a week for the positive effects to kick in. It doesn't taste great the way I use it, but it is worth it. No side effects, much less inflammation and cheaper than pharmaceuticals.

6. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

Also have arthritis in thumbs. Its a serious problem. Onset was worst. Since then passage of time and cortisone has helped some, but no where near normal. In addition to other discussion here, try Epsom salts with warm water. I think Brand valtoren, over the counter now, is vastly superior to generic. Open to all advice…

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

In June 2018 I had what was diagnosed by a rheumatologist as 'reactive arthritis' right at the start of 40 dates playing guitar/ onstage band at a dinner theater ( Patsy Cline tribute show)

What happened is in the middle of the night on a Saturday ( after doing play) my ankles and feet 'woke me up' with just pure ache/pain

Then within a day or two, both legs behind my knees, elbows and wrist joints, fingers...all symmetrical.

It was all I could do to walk to car/theater/drive/ play guitar...first took Ibuprofen, but after meeting Rheumatologist, she gave me a strong steroid ( had to shoot insulin for a few days, as I have type 2 diabetes)

She explained to me ( as blood tests for other viruses/causes...were negative), that she thought my immune system ( which is always working, and I had some bad colds in the Spring) sometimes can't turn itself off- and attacks good tissue, at the joints.
    Hence aches all over, both sides. I thought I was gonna die.

A week after taking steroids ( last week of the play), all much better, I got into a head-on car crash ( not my fault) on the way to the gig! ( just missed this one show as the next 2 dates were OFF)

My joke was:
    " For 3 weeks, I felt like I had been hit by a car, then I got into a car accident!"

* I sometimes wonder if the 'arthritis' was actually brought on my doing the play?
    It was like a real job ( something I had not done for 10 years- just gigs...), AND I was definitely stressed as everyone else in the stage 'orchestra' read music and I don't! ( but I knew the Country/rockabilly genre as I play it) I was definitely stressed about this...

aging_rocker likes this.
  8. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah wishing you good vibes- I have had old time arthritis is my toes for the last 7 or 8 years. each step hurts -I kind of figured there was no real treatment......hoping it does not take my hands

9. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

Can they inject Hyaluronic Acid between the joints of the hands? Steroids have failed for my knees, and that's my upcoming next step. Have to wait two months, since my last steroid injections. Until then, it is knee braces and orthopedics for me. Oweee oweee oweee ... :(

Picture2021713214204.jpg

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I’m at an age when every time someone starts a going to the doc thread I can post “got that too”. Arthritis? Got that too. My hands are holding their own. My shoulders, not so much. I’m heading to my doc a month from now to for an annual physical. I’ll have my A1C checked. I’ll have an EKG to check on a transient blockage. I’ll see if I can get a referral to check on if my neck is the cause of my shoulder problems. I think that some of my meds may be causing other problems.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Thanks! My wife has been a renal dietitian and is well acquainted with the long term heavy use effects of ibuprofen and other N-saids, so you're right! Fortunately, the arthritis affects my right hand, so playing hasn't been impaired much, for me. Moving heavy equipment, now that's been another story. My right thumb and hand are why I'm gigging a Tone Master DR (of course it doesn't hurt that it sounds great as well as weighing 25 lb).

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

sorry to hear of you RA problems...but only anabolic androgenic steroids can get you jacked

13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Now that there is BAD news!! LOL

14. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Well, not only that. They do more harm than good as far as the actual complaint goes.

They destroy connective tissue. They damage joint directly, all while masking the pain they'd be causing if they weren't... masking it.

They're for acute conditions, NOT chronic ones.

What will you do when the pain is worse than ever and you're completely out of options?

Save the steroids for that. Don't plan to spend 20 years taking them.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    hdvades and Preacher like this.
  15. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth Tele-Meister

Apologies for the tangential take, and probably a myth… I’ve always thought my joint problems are a result in part, of joint abuse when younger… you know, playing sports on concrete all day long in crap flat soled sports shoes of old, heavy duty squash, twisting and turning, snow balling without gloves until your hand go completely numb… those things we did as kids and never gave a thought. .. bit like the old, sun tan is good and healthy for you… now we know better. Stick to swimming ;) hope those anti inflammatories work for a good while longer……

16. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Doc asked me about my workout regiment (if you can see me you know I don't have one), I mentioned I hated walking and running. He suggested swimming. I laughed because we sold our house last September and the pool went with it. I told him the new owners were not happy having a fat guy swimming in their pool after closing on the house.

Bongoslade likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A lot of the plans cover it, and knock you down to a small co-pay. Folks can't really stay with the steroids very long; if nothing else, the weight gain is outrageous.

But yeah, the MSRP on Humira will take your breath away.

posttoastie likes this.
  18. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

I love beer but if you’re diabetic it can add to your pain by creating inflammation. I also have OA

19. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Well got the call back.

No RA.

Just good old OA. Doc did a total blood workup to see if it was any autoimmune issues. He said "your blood work looks good", I said, "oh OK." He then goes, "no your blood work looks really really good." I think he was a little surprised that the fat non active guy in his exam room was basically healthy. LOL

The main two areas I feel like I have joint issues are the hands and the lower back. X rays were taken and the lower back looks really good. No disc degeneration (Shocked face) and the cartilage and discs look good.
    The hands not so much. Left hand pointer and middle finger middle knuckles do not have a lot of cartilage left. Not bone on bone but the lack of cartilage does cause lack of flexibility and also causes the inflammation in my hands.

All in all the doc feels that I can use a low dose pain reliever and some flexibility exercises to gain some mobility back.

I appreciate all the suggestions and I am going to get on the Tumeric train for sure.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  20. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Glad you got good news. My father suffered from both RA and the treatments for RA including prednisone for a long time. It can be a rough road.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.