Art Garfunkel about to stage a come back.

57joonya

Tele-Holic
I think he sounds fantastic. Good to hear that . The music changes as we age . Music is constantly changing , as are our lives

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
With great respect to him, trying to sing that kind of song at age 79 doesn’t work. It is quite sad, but it is life and at some point “denial” becomes very apparent. It’s like hanging it up and handing in the keys to your car.

Yes, I would be happy if I could ever sing that good, but we all know how well he used to sing.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Billie Holiday had a brutal life. Toward the end of her career, she made a record of songs with orchestral support. The sweetness and lightness of the orchestra was countered by the burned out, almost desperate sound of her voice.

I was in high school when I first heard this. At first, I didn't know what to listen for. I hadn't really gotten to know this recording. It took some years before I could understand what she was singing about. Then I got it.

psallo

Tele-Meister
With great respect to him, trying to sing that kind of song at age 79 doesn’t work. It is quite sad, but it is life and at some point “denial” becomes very apparent. It’s like hanging it up and handing in the keys to your car.

Yes, I would be happy if I could ever sing that good, but we all know how well he used to sing.

Yeah, I respect him for still making music at 80 years old but based on that clip, he can’t really sing anymore.

I did see Paul about 5 or 6 years ago and he sounded fine (in a limited appearance) but maybe that would be different today too.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Some folks don't understand that the old man voice is the result of the proper order of things. As we age, if we live long enough, we attain a voice that excels only in yelling at clouds passing overhead. It simply cannot be faked, auto-tune won't do it, it is the result of the vocal chords reaching their natural ability.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I can hand it to the man for making long range plans at 80. I didn't really have a solid plan to go golfing this morning until I woke up. THEN I knew I was probably going golfing. The plan I made yesterday to go today was mostly speculative.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You know sometimes it might be better if aging musicians just:

giphy.gif

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire

There were a couple of rough spots, but I'd like to be more positive and think he could work those out with more practice. They should have done another take and not put that up. It was mostly good.

However, the guy filming should have thought about it, it's harder for someone singing to be aware.

I've seen younger artists occasionally have rougher periods/performances like that.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
There were a couple of rough spots, but I'd like to be more positive and think he could work those out with more practice. They should have done another take and not put that up. It was mostly good.

However, the guy filming should have thought about it, it's harder for someone singing to be aware.

I've seen younger artists occasionally have rougher periods/performances like that.
Yeah, it is not easy to criticize a great singer, but sadly, age has it’s affects.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Since this thread has turned into a debate about aging voices, let me showcase some more since father time can be a mean SOB...

Ria Brieffies isn't a name that will have people go "Oh yeah." but in her prime she could give Agnetha Faltskog of ABBA a run for her money.

But when the Dolly Dots had their reunion in 2007 it was painfully clear that the years had not been kind on Ria's voice, she gave it her best but it just wasn't there anymore.

She died of cancer in 2009

If Ria Brieffies isn't a familiar name, I'm pretty certain that Barry Gibb is.

You can see how much fun he has doing this show but also that he struggles to get that falsetto going.

These days, Paul Stanley gets a lot of flak for performing using a voice track. Well here is when he was at his very best...

And here's what happened afterwards...