Art Damage EXPERIMENTAL-INDUSTRIAL-NOISE!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tele salivas, Nov 14, 2014.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Anybody else here like the more abstract utility of sound?
    Throbbing Gristle, Missing Foundation, Crash Worship, stuff like this....

2. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's an acquired taste - and a bit depressing for me...
    For a while in the 70's I played in an experimental, freeform, loose collective of very good musicians who would get together and totally improvise 'constructions' based round a tenuous core, which could be just the drummer reading from a book.... We recorded everything and were often surprised at how often the dynamics of the group coincided, despite us mostly trying to play our instruments in exotic ways, or even swapping instruments altogether.
    Great fun for us, although our one gig was greeted by total silence, and open-mouthed stares of disbelief from the audience...

3. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

My tastes aren't as industrial, but more experimental. But glory to those that blaze a new trail!:cool:

4. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    It sounds like The Fall, but without what makes them good.

5. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Mark E Smith? ;)

6. tele salivas

7. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

I would like that as a sound track to something cinematic. Either played against something thematically bland or totally out there.

8. tele salivas

That was actually made for part of a soundtrack for a movie that never was finished , but its being put to another short movie that is pretty out there. It was recorded on Tascam using walkie-talkies, drums recorded in sewer tunnels, and tape of walki- talkie picking up scanner and CB frequencies. Caught a lot of illegal activity that day. :lol:

9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Maybe someone here could help. When I teach electronic music at the University of Iowa, my students are most composition majors. But, the studios have a long history with the art department, specifically Intermedia.

Around 2004, I had a sizable batch of Intermedia students. They were all seriously into these artists, especially Wolf Eyes. Two of my students played in a band that sounded similar to this. They were good enough to tour parts of the US in a van. They even play dates in Europe and Japan.

After a few weeks, the students discovered that a quiet kid who was new to the university, played in a band that they all liked. "You're Brandon so-and-so?"

I wish I could remember the names of the students, as well as the bands they were in. Does anyone know bands with members who had been at the University of Iowa 10 years ago?

10. tele salivas

Hey Larry, in my heyday there were only a handful of more experimental noise bands that were able to tour or record with any regularity and it did seem like we all knew each other, but that would have been a different world 8 years before the one known as Brandon's work would have existed. Funny enough, university towns were great for shows. Those kids appreciated it, especially the more latent humor, and they always bought t-shirts and tapes.

11. tele salivas

More Noise!

12. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I looped the intro to this over and over extra loud. It sounds like a freight train when you're 10 feet away. I have jet engines , ocean liner whistles, machine guns I looped over and over at high volumes. Industrial music should sound like heavy industry. Some critic once wrote about Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols as sounding like a guitar factory, as opposed to a guitar machine.

Back when there was only vinyl I sampled loud banging sounds over and over, at 33 rpm and 45rpm . Filled a whole 90 minute tape. A real labor of love back then. I lent the tape to a drunk who spilled beer on it.

13. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

I've been rereading Derek Bailey's "Improvisation: Its Nature and Practice in Music". Nashville had a cool experimental music community that ran from broken circuits to noise to free improvised music to musique concrete and all sorts of things. Got to see a lot of talented people performing all these less traveled genres, some local, some on tour. But for a few years now the performing community we were hooked into dried up.

14. tele salivas

Yeah, nowadays Industrial just means heavy metal guitars with electronic drums with soem melding of sci-fi and psuedo-political ramblings, oh and the uniform made of black goth-metal wear with camo or black cut-off cargo-shorts. Muzak has more in common with the original idea of industrial music than what is passing for it these days, if its going on at all anymore.
    Devo put out some wicked stuff!

Newbie Brad said "I've been rereading Derek Bailey's 'Improvisation: Its Nature and Practice in Music'"..

I haven't read that. Once you get into free forms of music or sound, you find a physical space that is similar to what I imagine really exceptional jazz artists exploring. That synergy is what musicians and artists love to mine. A very difficult thing to do is to make it interesting for a paying audience. Noise artists do not last long if they aren't able to make that connection. The other hand is that making these kinds of tapes or recordings for yourself can also provide a great tool to generate further work. It is more of a tool, than an entertainment.

15. tele salivas

Devo was great!
    That's how I got into "noise"...through tape. There is magic in that magnetization that comes with that medium. I still spend time with tape, mostly for my own experiments, but I'm working on a classic country recording where it'll be like if in the future some tape of a bunch of classic country songs has been found after being exposed to the elements, providing weird aural accents and effects, but through physical applications., like spilling beer on part of it or something...wait, I think the Beatles already did that with Pepsi?:lol:

16. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

I preferred these guys most in their earlier years. When they started their shift from pure industrial, it was no longer so brutally powerful---this is their shift to something much more conventional:

From this:

to this:

...and now this is them being positively Romantic these days:

17. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

O' course , there were these guys on Ralph in the late '70s---Catchy:

And... hammered out in the Avant Garage they started building in the early/mid '70s--- the best thing out of the INDUSTRIAL heartland's wasteland since ever:

18. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

19. tele salivas

oh man...Neubauten was great in those early days! You might appreciate this. It starts off slow, like a nuclear winter landscape, but then goes into some very Neubauten-ish guitar and percussion work. I recommend going past the canned bagpipes to the 2:00 minute mark...
    https://soundcloud.com/ebenezar-1/hacking-the-body-arson

20. tele salivas

urizen-thanks for turning me on to Chrome, hadn't heard that one before. Like what PIL aspired to, but never quite succeeded in pulling off. This could have been the soundtrack to my teen years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.