Art Blakey

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burtf51, Jun 2, 2020.

1. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

and Moanin' may be one of the most cOoL tunes there is..

2. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

An old Bobby Timmons tune
    Used to cover it a lot back in the day when there were places toy could play this stuff

burtf51 likes this.
  3. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A classic for sure!

4. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

I've always liked Lee's trumpet, it's incredible that he recorded around 5 albums when he was 19 I think and he didn't get that good overnight, took alot of work. "I Called Him Morgan" pretty good doc...

5. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Yes it is. Here's another fave of mine, Ugetsu:

6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Good stuff.

One of the bands at work called themselves "The Jazz Massagers"

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  7. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic. Art Blakey is a Jazz giant.

burtf51 and BorderRadio like this.
  8. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Man, I am sooooo glad you posted this. I will first post an abbreviated reaction:

It was the Moanin’ album that absolutely turned me on to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, and then to the rest of the jazz world. I find Charlie Parker and Art Blakey to be the perfect ‘springboard’ for exploring jazz.

Please, I don’t want to come across as a know-it-all, but if anyone has an ear for Art Blakey then you MUST try listening to his album named Reflections In Blue:

Track 1: Reflections In Blue

Track 2: E.T.A.

Track 3: Say Dr. "J" (my favorite)

Track 6: Stretching

The above tracks are just crazy listenable!

And now, if I have not lost you by now, a more detailed explanation.

I am a decent musician, and have been all my life. I always had an ear for jazz, but never found myself 'immersed' or 'hypnotized' the way I was with rock and blues.

When Pandora began getting more popular in 2005 or so, the job I had at the time, believe it or not, allowed streaming of internet content. Can you believe this was 15 years ago???

Anyway, my boss at the time found out that I was a musician and asked if I liked jazz and I gave a somewhat lukewarm response. And he suggested listening to Charlie Parker.

I knew who Charlie Parker was. I knew what bebop was. But did I really, really, know? So I started to listen to Charlie Parker on Pandora…at work. And was just friggin' floored. I was hooked.

So I started searching, collecting, and listening to all sorts of bebop. And the second artist I discovered? Art Blakey. And it was this very song and album (Moanin’) that got me hooked even further.

Then I got hooked on all sorts of jazz greats. Wayne Shorter is my FAVORITE! But it really started with Charlie Parker and Art Blakey.

But, that is the unsung beauty of streaming music, is it not? All of our heroes had to buy, beg, and steal 45 or LP records to listen to what caught their ear. And here we are, at the push of a button, I can listen to whatever I want, whenever I want! It really is a wondrous age we are living in.

JIMMY JAZZMAN and burtf51 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.