Art and Loathing - Johnny Depp / The Rolling Stones / Stray Cats & Philosophy

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Ding! Ding! Ding!
1653611425095.png

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don't think that much about Johnny Depp - I liked him in some of the Pirate Movies - haven't really followed outside of them - I think I saw Edward Scissorhands - didn't think much of it - What he done that people find offensive?
Im not sure what exactly Depp did either, but it seems to have been him and his GF fighting where he threw an empty wine bottle maybe on the floor, and threw a cell phone AT his GF.
Or maybe they were married.
A couple having a fight that inculded some seemingly mild violence?
Mild meaning no injuries or property damage?

Bigger news is that as soon as she said he said, Disney dropped him from upcoming movies.
Then she said he said something that got her role in Aquaman lowered in stature, but the producer said her role was not changed due to Depp defaming her.

Celebrity defamation is big news.
Again though thats just what i caught trying to avoid watching this debacle day after day on TV while a whole country is getting bombed out and we tiptoe around that while raising a stink over a Disney characters lovers quarrel.

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
He runs funny, especially the air chopping/hand knife thing.
I'd pay good money to see him being chased down the street by some Psychobillies circa 1980(ish) after a Stray Cats gig.

I'd pay double if you threw in Johnny Depp as well.
The people that put him in movies ,
Love to see him run don’t they?he’s always running

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
I used to see Johnny Depp's band in the early 80s. They were a new wave jukebox when everyone else in the scene was playing originals. He's a good-looking hack.
And now he plays live with Alice Cooper and jams with Paul McCartney.
Unfortunately his guitar career was tragically cut short when he made millions of dollars and became super famous as an actor.
Poor bugger.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
:) Early a.m. generalized snark, my apologies. I just don't think he's much of an artist. If DDL was outed as a monster, it'd be more interesting dilemma for me, but if Depp's acting career had an analog in music, he'd be in Nickelback. Just tired of hearing about this cad.
Nah, Channing Tatum is the actor analog to Nickleback. Too pretty, lacking in substance, and only beneficial in self parody.
Johnny Depp is more like a John Mayer of actors. Think of this defamation hearing as his Silver Sky controversy. Or the Maroon 5 of actors, as he is successful, I just haven't paid attention to the product of either since about 2006. I like Johnny Depp. I do feel bad for him. But the obscene amounts of money he's got access to make me strongly question why he didn't get out of the situation sooner, potentially avoiding that sociopath writing her little op ad. So I feel bad for the guy, but he's got a good legal team, and has nominally won in the court of public opinion. Why do I need to watch his trial? They're paying jurors for that....

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi again.

I just started watching the new Ricky Gervais show on Netflix: SuperNature. Bit at the start about separating the art from the artist.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons... :)

Pax/
Dean

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Morally-objectionable-but-compelling art is a more interesting problem than the one posed by great-art-by-morally objectionable artist. The latter I can easily reconcile; the former is much more challenging, one that Mick and the lads have delved into on a few other occasions.

Last edited:

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Morally-objectionable-but-compelling art is a more interesting problem than the one posed by great-art-by-morally objectionable artist. The latter I can easily reconcile; the former is much more challenging, one that Mick and the lads have delved into on a few other occasions.

I don't think it is for me but that might just be because generally speaking I don't find art morally-objectionable.

You might find the subject or idea that the art is showing you 'morally-objectionable' and I understand why that is more challenging, it's the truth that the 'morally-objectionable' artist hides behind with his 'great art'.

in simple terms

Stray cat blues tells you 'this is what happens'

The 'morally objectionable artist' is a part of what happens but turns your gaze elsewhere.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Right but again within the art world or even just the whole world which cannot be separated from art: “Morally Objectionable” simply cannot be defined, and when a healthy society needs art the most, it is often because some self anointed moral majority is suppressing a segment of the population with false morality used as a weapon much like dictator states control dissent.

Examples of moral outrage against new art, which societies/ society's doctrines don’t allow for, could include the premier of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring causing riots in the streets.

Other examples include much of the US initially dismissing HIV because it seemed to target Americans the moral majority deemed morally reprehensible. And Africans in Africa.
Only when enough American hetero teens who didn’t use drugs got HIV, did the moral majority deem HIV research to be a priority in society.

Morally reprehensible art pointed a finger at a large morally reprehensible segment of society.

Whose morality was the right morality?

DBB61A30-4B3B-41D9-A3AB-303D1142AF37.jpeg
3D1973EA-D94F-46A7-BBED-64FC7937549E.jpeg

Last edited:

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I can define it--by "morally objectionable," I mean my own discomfort with some subject matter, not anone else's; I don't know what's going on in the heads of others (and don't much care). Tarantino's use of his favorite racial slur comes to mind; Larry Clark's photography is another.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Larry Clark's photography is another.

One of the things I seem* to enjoy about the consumption or viewing (or, whatever) of art is the fact it stimulates something, a feeling, a nascent thought, an emotional stirring which I don’t consciously follow to completion (nor attempt to resolve when it produces contradiction). I allow it to float, gaining a fleeting intuition of several strands of thought and letting it lie at that. Another way I think of it is as though I’m walking down a corridor and getting brief glances through sometimes statically half opened, sometimes opening, sometimes closing doors, and always moving on, carting these fleeting glimpses with me to swirl around and mingle. These lost or un-pursued thoughts somehow enhance the emotion of the moment. Little amplifiers.**

Anyway, that’s a long winded way of introducing that I’m reminded here of happily experiencing Philip-Lorca diCorcia’s slight smirk and comment when noting what people might enjoy in Larry Clark’s photographs, while also jokingly referencing ‘allowing for inflation’ in his own work. There were so many ways to read his amplifying comments, firing off in all directions, and it also caused other fleeting glimpses into the work (& reception) of both.

Pretty sure it was in an episode of the the BBC’s 2007 series The Genius of Photography, which I see is available in several places on YouTube, and some academic sites like Highland college’s Hightube. It’s a good documentary series.

Pax/
Dean
* because, as I said, I often don’t finish the thought
** I also wonder how much this idea might apply (or not) or be in action (or not) in the intent during the creation process too (c.f. the vague notion gets fleshed out for the artist’s statement)

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Oh, and while we’re at it, I really rather enjoyed the recent documentary based around The Andy Warhol Diaries, on Netflix. I know next to nothing about him, but found the whole thing fascinating. Except of course, there wasn’t enough footage of the world’s best or worst band (occupying, as it does, the full TDPRI spectrum): The Velvet Underground.

Pax/
Dean

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi yet again.

Ah, the life of Captain Jack Sparrow

I took the kids to Tokyo Disneyland, back in December (it started snowing and half the people left - yay).

Anyway, I had the vague notion at the time that Disney had ‘cancelled’ Mr. Depp. I don’t care about him or for ‘entertainment’ news. It was just something that had seeped in, in passing as background static from western news sources.

Anyway, I suddenly realised he hasn’t been cancelled from things here in Japan. He was all over the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, including multiple automated mannequins (coming off more like the wooden Keanu Reeves).

Different morals for different markets I figured.

Pax/
Dean

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi yet again.

I took the kids to Tokyo Disneyland, back in December (it started snowing and half the people left - yay).

Anyway, I had the vague notion at the time that Disney had ‘cancelled’ Mr. Depp. I don’t care about him or for ‘entertainment’ news. It was just something that had seeped in, in passing as background static from western news sources.

Anyway, I suddenly realised he hasn’t been cancelled from things here in Japan. He was all over the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, including multiple automated mannequins (coming off more like the wooden Keanu Reeves).

Different morals for different markets I figured.

Pax/
Dean
Yeah, he's all over our main attractions too. Youtube and Twitter. Usually with variants on "DEPP IS HILARIOUS ON STAND AGAIN" against "harpy shrew LIAR Amber Heard made a face in court, click HERE for your Two Minutes' Hate." Almost like it's an op.

Anyway, the "cancelled" discourse is howlingly stupid and transparent and I hope you don't get much of it over there. People crying about being silenced while doing book promos on cable news or their own show, getting Grammys, getting paid. Someone please cancel me with one of Louis CK's checks.

If there's a different moral for your market... might not be without reason. My limited exposure to Japanese business culture and gender roles therein felt like something from Mad Men.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

If there's a different moral for your market...

I was thinking more like, big corporate morals are flexible where money is concerned. I could be wrong though, I pay even less attention to the news here than I do to western outlets, so maybe he has been plastered all over the place and making headlines here, in this particular market.

Anyway, interconnected points, different emphasis. Cos yep, you certainly are not wrong. I've never seen more than a few minutes of Mad Men, but, yeah, roll out the OLs.*

Pax/
Dean
* office ladies...