Arrrgh…we all have to post one eventually don’t we ? Notch/Mookie 2007-2022

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I'm happy that Mookie was able to bring you joy during his life. I also had a dog-cat once, his name was Jockey. We got him at a discount from the shelter because he was a "senior" pet when we got him and he lived another 10 years until he passed away from respiratory failure and old age. He is the only cat I have ever bonded with and he was special to us. I well up a little even now although he's been gone almost ten years.

There's nothing like a good pet. Thanks for sharing the story of yours.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
So sorry for your loss, very tough. We did the saline shots with our old guy Rufus a few years ago, but you're right you just know when it's time.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Wow, thanks again. It’s been a month and Frankie the wild haired adversary is finally adjusted to the new normal.

It does make sense that when cats spend a large portion of their day each trying to F with the other one they are gonna be a little lost by themselves when one leaves.

Me? I still miss my buddy mainly because he was just nice all the time.

I’m cranky as a rule, my wife certainly can be but much more rare than me and Frankie can be a pill, but Notch/Mookie was just pure love.

Ebling

Tele-Meister
It's a beautiful thing to give an animal a loving home for the duration of its life. Greive like hell for now and, once you are ready, go find another one and provide the same environment. Pass it along. My true sympathies go out to you.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The kitty in my avatar was my best buddy. He also perished of kidney disease. I cried more over him than either of my folks. Still do when he crosses my mind.

Tonight we're going to pick up a new kitten. Gray female - supposed to be a real sweetheart. She might just fill the hole Smokey left in my heart.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So sorry Mike. Had to put our beast ("Stewie") to sleep a little over a year ago. Like Mookie, he had some issues, and we were dealing with them for over a year and he was doing pretty good--some days better than others... and then he went downhill quickly, and it was time for that sad goodbye.

Sorry for your loss buddy, it's such a hard thing to deal with.

Painter644

Tele-Meister
Got him cuz our son wanted a cat for his 5th birthday (Gus just turned 20). So he and my wife brought home a scrawny black Tom kitten from the shelter.

My son named him Notch but I always called him Mookie.
View attachment 980784 He was everybody’s friend. What people call a dog-cat. If we had 5 people over or 50 - he was wandering around to everyone trying to get head scratches , sniffing everybody.

I spent a ton of time with him - especially outside . Completely walled backyard so of course he loved chasing birds and squirrels but he really loved windy days. He’d run around like a banshee the windier it was .
View attachment 980786

And at 10 or 11 he really proved what a standup guy he was by allowing us to introduce into our home a female nut job cat (Frankie) weighing half as much as him but with 10 times the self importance and he surprisingly , was reborn. (he was kinda bored right before).

They really truly hated each other but they wanted each other around - to torment.

And the best part was, it was always 50-50 - he’d hassle the hell out of her and then a couple hours later she’d be chasing him through the house with him trying to hide from her.
View attachment 980787

Renal disease started in January so we began subcu saline IV-ing him 3-4 months ago, once a day /changed his food , and though skinny, he was happy/active.

Two days ago it was like a switch flipped and we knew. So we helped him over yesterday. Brutal. Buried him in the blanket he slept on and with the rubber head scrubber he loved us to comb him with.

Sorry this is long but he was important and a really great friend. Frankie the woman cat is clearly verklempt and endlessly looking around the house…Oy…it’s beyond sad.
View attachment 980789

Somebody told me a long time ago that after someone dies and you think of them to say their name three times (and that it was a Buddhist thing which apparently ain’t true) and then they’re alive in you for that moment , so I’m gonna say Mookie Mookie Mookie a lot today.

Thanks for letting me lionize 😼 him here.
We lost out little Tuxedo guy in January 2021. He too was a people-cat and he loved our dog, as well. Loads of personality and very “vocal”. We miss him every day, and my heart goes out to you for your loss. There’s no such thing as “just a cat/dog”.