Arrrgh…we all have to post one eventually don’t we ? Notch/Mookie 2007-2022

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Got him cuz our son wanted a cat for his 5th birthday (Gus just turned 20). So he and my wife brought home a scrawny black Tom kitten from the shelter.

My son named him Notch but I always called him Mookie.
1651939840512.jpeg
He was everybody’s friend. What people call a dog-cat. If we had 5 people over or 50 - he was wandering around to everyone trying to get head scratches , sniffing everybody.

I spent a ton of time with him - especially outside . Completely walled backyard so of course he loved chasing birds and squirrels but he really loved windy days. He’d run around like a banshee the windier it was .
1651940108519.jpeg

And at 10 or 11 he really proved what a standup guy he was by allowing us to introduce into our home a female nut job cat (Frankie) weighing half as much as him but with 10 times the self importance and he surprisingly , was reborn. (he was kinda bored right before).

They really truly hated each other but they wanted each other around - to torment.

And the best part was, it was always 50-50 - he’d hassle the hell out of her and then a couple hours later she’d be chasing him through the house with him trying to hide from her.
1651940205252.jpeg

Renal disease started in January so we began subcu saline IV-ing him 3-4 months ago, once a day /changed his food , and though skinny, he was happy/active.

Two days ago it was like a switch flipped and we knew. So we helped him over yesterday. Brutal. Buried him in the blanket he slept on and with the rubber head scrubber he loved us to comb him with.

Sorry this is long but he was important and a really great friend. Frankie the woman cat is clearly verklempt and endlessly looking around the house…Oy…it’s beyond sad.
1651940314302.jpeg

Somebody told me a long time ago that after someone dies and you think of them to say their name three times (and that it was a Buddhist thing which apparently ain’t true) and then they’re alive in you for that moment , so I’m gonna say Mookie Mookie Mookie a lot today.

Thanks for letting me lionize 😼 him here.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Got him cuz our son wanted a cat for his 5th birthday (Gus just turned 20). So he and my wife brought home a scrawny black Tom kitten from the shelter.

View attachment 980784 He was everybody’s friend. What people call a dog-cat. If we had 5 people over or 50 - he was wandering around to everyone trying to get head scratches , sniffing everybody.

I spent a ton of time with him - especially outside . Completely walled backyard so of course he loved chasing birds and squirrels but he really loved windy days. He’d run around like a banshee the windier it was .
View attachment 980786

And at 10 or 11 he really proved what a standup guy he was by allowing us to introduce into our home a female nut job cat (Frankie) weighing half as much as him but with 10 times the self importance and he surprisingly , was reborn. (he was kinda bored right before).

They really truly hated each other but they wanted each other around - to torment.

And the best part was, it was always 50-50 - he’d hassle the hell out of her and then a couple hours later she’d be chasing him through the house with him trying to hide from her.
View attachment 980787

Renal disease started in January so we began subcu saline IV-ing him 3-4 months ago, once a day /changed his food , and though skinny, he was happy/active.

Two days ago it was like a switch flipped and we knew. So we helped him over yesterday. Brutal. Buried him in the blanket he slept on and with the rubber head scrubber he loved us to comb him with.

Sorry this is long but he was important and a really great friend. Frankie the woman cat is clearly verklempt and endlessly looking around the house…Oy…it’s beyond sad.
View attachment 980789

Somebody told me a long time ago that after someone dies and you think of them to say their name three times (and that it was a Buddhist thing which apparently ain’t true) and then they’re alive in you for that moment , so I’m gonna say Mookie Mookie Mookie a lot today.

Those special animals in your life, never pass from your mind. They're not like that guitar you HAD to have, buy, and move down the road a short time later. Out of sight, out of mind. A dog or a cat, or I guess maybe even a mouse has a REAL personality, that you lock onto and connect with, and once they are no longer with you, a piece of you is gone. At your age, you'll most likely NEVER forget Mookie, and that's just the way it is. I'm sorry for your loss, I truly am. I have been parted with so many people and animals in my lifetime by the veil of death. I believe I can truly say I know how you feel today.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I feel for you. Like having a piece of your soul ripped out, losing a pet...
Still get a little tearful for the old cat I had to take to the vet's for his last journey. I couldn't face getting another one after that.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Yeah, we went through it with Opie a couple of years ago, same deal. The kidneys went bad and we fought it until he just stopped eating and we had to help him leave. You and your family have my sympathy.

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity

View attachment 980784 He was everybody’s friend. What people call a dog-cat. If we had 5 people over or 50 - he was wandering around to everyone trying to get head scratches , sniffing everybody.

View attachment 980786

View attachment 980787

View attachment 980789

I've felt what you describe feeling....it surprised the hell outta me...I wasn't expecting it to hit me that hard.....but, our feelings are our feelings and the love and attachment we feel toward our pets is real and true. A happy and sad story all at the same time....life!!.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
Very sad. We have a couple rescues who are getting to be about 15. Poobert (ne Tom) was barfing a lot around January and looked like he was losing weight. Got him to the vet and got diagnosed diabetic, and of course they wanted to do all sorts of blood tests and ultrasounds and have us shove a giant pill down his throat every day. We did get him onto some low carb crunchies and while he's still relatively skinny, he's stopped barfing all the time and is seemingly enjoying life. He's much more affectionate with me than he used to be. We were pretty sure the end was nigh a few months ago but he's beaten expectations. They're good kids and all of us really love them a lot. So I don't look forward to the day.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted

View attachment 980786

View attachment 980787

View attachment 980789

It is so tough when a family member passes on. It sounds like you gave Mookie a great family and a great life. My condolences.