Arlington Guitar Show pics 2021

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
These days with a lot of Fenders at least, you don’t know whether you’re looking at genuine vintage or relics,at least where there’s no price visible. As a matter of interest, do the likes of Martin and Gibson do acoustic relics?

Gibson has gotten into the relic business a little with electrics, but I’m not sure about acoustics. Never seen a Martin relic to my knowledge, but maybe someone else will have more accurate info.

that just doesn’t sound like something Martin would do…but what do I know.

Fluddman

Tele-Holic
Yes, thanks so much for sharing. Must time my next trip to the USA to coincide with this guitar show. We have nothing on this scale in Australia.

Cheers

Red Ryder

Tele-Holic
Been to the Dallas International guitar festival 3 times. It was alright the first time, second time was OK, third was a waste of time and money. There was a lot of cool guitars and amps and a guy playing a theramin who looked awful lonely. But once you've seen a roomful of guitars that's good enough. It's like a used car lot. Nothing you have is worth anything compared to their stuff. And their stuff is way over priced. I asked one guy if his strat was so hard to come by why were we standing in a building full of the damn things. And the noise is almost unbearable, plus $6 a beer? It's definitely a place for young dreamers. Now I stay home. If a friend buys a new guitar or amp I check it out when I have the time and enjoy the company.

Last edited:

Bryan A

Tele-Holic
I love those yellow Les Paul Specials and the sunburst Jaguars. If you get me either one for Christmas, I won’t complain about not getting the other.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I can't imagine paying those prices for a Tele or a Strat. Or really any of them. I like the Philly show which is coming up next month for the spectacle and to see people I know but otherwise...

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I looked at all the pictures, especially at the prices. My initial reaction was that’s insane. I’d never spend that much on a guitar. After further reflection, maybe it’s not so crazy. Guitar prices are way less than collectible car prices. Heck, they’re way less than new car prices, especially desirable cars. So the folks buying them are buying something they have a deep desire for at a price you or I may think is nuts but not crazy at all to the buyer. Different strokes. You know how it goes.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I looked at all the pictures, especially at the prices. My initial reaction was that’s insane. I’d never spend that much on a guitar. After further reflection, maybe it’s not so crazy. Guitar prices are way less than collectible car prices. Heck, they’re way less than new car prices, especially desirable cars. So the folks buying them are buying something they have a deep desire for at a price you or I may think is nuts but not crazy at all to the buyer. Different strokes. You know how it goes.

Not a lot of buying goes on by the general public, in fact if these dealers had their druthers the public prolly wouldn’t be there lol. All the moving tends to happen the Friday before behind closed doors. It’s kind of a big “good ole boys network”.

But I do like seeing the guitars. Haven’t bought anything other than a t shirt in years

davo8411

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Thank you for posting photos. Would like to catch one of these Texas sized shows. I wouldn’t be able to afford anything, but would dig just window shopping

Recce

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
These days with a lot of Fenders at least, you don’t know whether you’re looking at genuine vintage or relics,at least where there’s no price visible. As a matter of interest, do the likes of Martin and Gibson do acoustic relics?
Martin does a kind of relic it is their Authentic Series modeled after their 1930s models. They are not made to look old but modeled after older Martin guitars. They are very well thought of by the Martin community and quite pricey.

In the one picture one of the sellers has five of the dual neck guitars. Those are fairly rare and he has five that’s quite unusual.

Last edited:

Censport

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Didn't see my old '72 in any of those pics. I'd like to have it back if only for sentimental reasons. Maybe one day I'll run across it.

10_07.JPG
11_08.JPG

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
Great stuff to look at, but I wouldn't be touching any of it with a ten foot pole. Makes me appreciate my partscaster pennies on the dollar compared with these.

Last edited:

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I was there today, too. I make it a practice to go overly two to three years.

I hate to say it, but outside of talking to Don Summers from the Moving Sidwalks, I was kinda disappointed.

There used to be up to three or four ballrooms full of guitars, amps, pedals, etc. (there was only the one today). I know that the P——c has changed things, but I felt a bit gypped at the $20 admission.

I was also hoping the Republic (makers of cheap but good resonators) would be there—I had cash in pocket and was going to go home with one…I even warned my wife. Unfortunately, neither Republic (the company) or Republic (the instruments) were not there.

I played a spectacular mid-50’s Les Paul Junior (which was fairly priced but not worth the divorce), a reissue Gretsch Roundup (looked good, sounded good, something was wrong with the “G” strong and it wouldn’t stay in tune) and a weird homemade resonator (I might need a tetanus shot now)….and maybe I’m just getting old, but outside of that Junior, nothing really made me “ache”.

Oh well…I may or may not be back next year.

This thing sounded deader then Methuselah:
56FB5740-AD62-4659-80D1-BF3FE5F84D60.jpeg
FE8F168D-D362-416E-B6F2-87D061EE8294.jpeg

…and as flashy and tacky as I am, this Strat-Like-Object on the left was too much for even me:
9D699447-9715-4980-BDF4-70AB8CF85767.jpeg
1AB26D69-D643-4043-AB2C-38A0CC355FFE.jpeg