Aria GIBSON ES-335 remake from the 70's

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Runawaysolo, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Runawaysolo

Runawaysolo NEW MEMBER!

I recently started fixing up the wiring on an aria hollowbody jazz guitar I was given about 10 years back thats originally from the 70's. Its an Aria copy of a Gibson ES-335 with the sunburst colour finish (Hollowbody Jazz). I cant find too much info on it online so I was hoping someone would have some info or know where I could find out about it more. Thanks in advance

JayFreddy likes this.
  2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

A Japanese classmate of mine at Berklee had one of those back in 1984. His was red, had a set neck, black witch hat knobs, and played very well.

As far as I know, they were never sold outside of Japan. Some of the lower end models had bolt on necks, but those were still very good as well.

I had an actual 1980 Custom Shop 335 at the time, complete with Classic 57 pickups. I thought my Gibson sounded better due to the pickups, but the Aria replica played just as well.

It was a great guitar.

Sorry I can't provide more info, but at least you know yours isn't the only one!

Ps. It was simply an Aria, not an Aria Pro.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Runawaysolo likes this.
  3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Aria were typically made in the Matsumku factory. They can can be extremely good or they can be weird and quirky but kind of cool depending largely on era. As a rule of thumb, earlier ones had a bolt on neck and crude internal construction with no centerblock (often they're completely unbraced with a soundpost the only reinforcement), where as the latter ones were fairly close copies of a late 70s style ES335 with a set neck and centerblock. If you have the former and is still in reasonable condition it might still be a really cool guitar as long as you don't expect it to sound like a 335.

If you can post photos we can tell more easily what you have.

Runawaysolo and JayFreddy like this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Welcome to TDPRI. Do post photos of your guitar. We have plenty of Aussies on here, they will have been more likely to have seen a Japanese built guitar than the rest of us, but you never know who will provide that missing information you need.

Runawaysolo likes this.
  5. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

Runawaysolo likes this.
  6. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I had one of the bolt-on neck models back in the 80s. It did have a center block and it played and sounded pretty good. I did replace the pickups with SD 59s and I gigged with it for a couple years.

Runawaysolo likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!

Runawaysolo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.