Aria A552

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by apolloxi, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. apolloxi

apolloxi TDPRI Member

Good afternoon!

Just picked up an Aria A552 from a friend. It's a little banged up but sounds heavenly. No idea when its from. Heard that these guitars are gems. I've looked and looked but still can't date it. Serial number #31258 not sure if that means its from '73 or '83. Hopefully you guys can help me.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

How about some pictures?

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. apolloxi

apolloxi TDPRI Member

Here it is. Like I said, it’s banged up, still sounds like a beauty though! And not knowing the serial number is driving me nuts :confused:
    image.jpg image.jpg

4. apolloxi

apolloxi TDPRI Member

so can anyone on here date this?

5. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

I'll pop in tomorrow and see if I can find anything out.

(I live 100 yards from 'Casa Ramirez', the Aria HQ)

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Those are good workhorse guitars. A buddy had a late '60's Aria steel string acoustic that accompanied us on lots of adventures back in high school. It got abused regularly and never gave a problem. I don't have a clue to how old it is but it looks like Sleepyscholar is on the case!

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

From what I can tell, and considering the lack of a headstock logo (normally painted on in the early 1970's), that is an early/mid 1960's vintage Aria A552. Made in the Matsumoku factory in Japan.

I have found, over the early years of Aria production in Japan and Spain, no consistent serial numbering pattern can be determined. From 1981 on however, you can usually count on the first two digits equating to the year of production.

Very cool old guitar!!
    :)

8. apolloxi

apolloxi TDPRI Member

thank you so much!

9. apolloxi

apolloxi TDPRI Member

you wouldn’t happen to have an idea on how much it’s worth? i’ve heard people say from 600-1000, not sure though. Especially with the guitar in this case

10. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry - I don't know about the history of your instrument but I'm not surprised it sounds good! Aria has a proud and long tradition of making quality acoustic and electric guitars!
    I've had my Aria Sandpiper steel string for maybe 10 years. Apart from being pretty, it sounds great for my fingerstyle playing - and louder than its slim body depth would suggest, due to the arched back which adds to the projection. Cedar top and mahogany back and sides.
    Good catch!
    Sandpiper.jpg

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The case appears to be in lovely shape, but the guitar has more than her share of dings and wear.

From everything I see all across the interwebs on that model, I would think you could get $450 to $550, with the case. I have seen them go for (without a case) $250 to $400, in a variety of conditions.

The Blue Book, the edition I have anyway, doesn't list that model, so we have no starting point.

:)

12. Sleepyscholar

There was no one in the showroom this morning: I'll have another go when I get back from work.

13. Sleepyscholar

Sorry again. Although there are people in the office, it looks like the showroom (the public face) is having an extended New Year's holiday. I could barge my way into the office, but as it's a customer enquiry rather than a trade one, they may not like that. I'll keep trying.

14. apolloxi

apolloxi TDPRI Member

that's ok, take your time, I'm in no rush

15. Sleepyscholar

Finally talked to someone at Arai. It's the same old story here! They don't have records from that period any more. All he could tell me is that a 5-digit serial number means it's pre-80s. Apart from that, the serial number gives no clue as to the year. I asked him if he thought it was made at Matsumoku, but he said that at that time they made guitars at 2 or 3 factories, so all he could say was that it is definitely Japan-built.

Really sorry to take so long and then offer you no new information on this. I suppose the only consolation is that even the manufacturer doesn't know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.