Aria 335 copy volume pot needs replacing. Pot ohm value?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Craig Williams, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams TDPRI Member

I have an Aria ES 335 made in Korea knock off (80's / 90's) which I stupidly broke a volume pot shaft getting the knob off tonight. Typical 335 config, 2 tone controls, 2 volumes, 2 HB pick ups.

My problem is there appears to be no ohm value on the pot? It's one of those small dime size pots like you get in the Epiphones. Would anyone know or care to guess what size it would be so I can order another.

Many thanks in advance

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Probably 500kohm log pot.

Deeve and radiocaster like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Measure it with a meter? If not, I would almost bet it's 500K, which is the standard for humbuckers.

radiocaster likes this.
  4. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

While your at it just replace all the pots and caps. A pain on a 335 but you have to start the process anyway and new pots will make a significant improvement to your guitar. What the hell, replace the jack with a switchcraft too.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get the magic. musicians friend has mojotone vintage taper pots for six bucks apiece shipped for free. they have the jack too. I use those pots in several of my guitars and the are great at a reasonably price.

You'll probably have to ream out the holes to get the pots to fit. Get a reamer from harbor freight cheap, dont drill it.

440mhz and Stringsofdoom like this.
  5. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Doctorx33 likes this.
  6. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

7. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I got one of the newer Ariia 335 copies. The TA-50. I installed a new wiring kit in mine. It was the hardest re-wiring I ever done. Plenty of info on the net about how to do it. While I was re-wiring it I also threw in a set of Seymour Duncan 59's. One find ax. Platefire
    Aria TA-50 005.JPG

Doctorx33, Mincer and Obsessed like this.
  8. Craig Williams

Double post sorry

9. Craig Williams

ARIA 335 SELL1.jpg Thanks guys. Not too interested in modding or upgrading as only selling this one. I have an Epi BB King and this is very similar however it turns out the pick ups are P90 single coils (found an old catalogue). Lovely tone, very bright.

I had to laugh at some of the suggestions as I didn't mention I am living out the back of nowhere in country Thailand lol. I did end up finding the value on the pot and it was 500 ohm and luckily our local music store had a few in stock that fitted perfectly. Not the easiest soldering job I have ever done in my life but took my time and all back together and good as new. Thanks again for all the help

radiocaster likes this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.