Aren't these...the same? -- Classic Vibe vs Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Veeseaczar, Mar 13, 2019.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I think fender may be leaning into the partacaster culture. Retailers now offer replacement necks in a variety of specs.

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Fender/Squier has not released a comprehensive statement about the change, just bits and pieces. Here's my unofficial summary from gathering the bits and pieces from Fender's press releases and reporting from NAMM.

The VM line is in transition. Existing models are renamed CV, getting new or changed features, and the price is $50 more. Feature changes: poplar body, tinted neck finish, narrow-tall frets, nickel plated hardware, a total chage to Indian Laurel from Rosewood fret boards, and "Fender Designed" pickups as if that's a big deal. They are produced by the same Indonesian manufacturer that has been producing the VMs: Squier's just moving them to a the CV line and changing features.

New models that would previously have been introduced in the VM line are now introduced in the CV line. They have the same new features as above. They are produced by the same Indonesian manufacturer that was producing the VMs.

Things are confusing at the moment due to VMs still being in the sales channel. VMs will be sold by retailers until retail and Squier inventories are depleted and then the VM line will be defunct. It's the same situation as when Fender introduced the Player line while the Standard line was still in the sales channel. There's no way to make a clean cutover between lines.

Fender/Squier has said nothing about the CV Teles and Strats manufactured in China, so I won't speculate with zero basis.

Deep thought...

Poplar is a challenge for natural and sunburst finishes. To get any kind of figure in the grain it needs to be slab cut. Look at this link and click on the "natural" color icon. If this is poplar, this is probably as good as the figure can be on any of the new CVs...

70s Strat, Natural

Click on the "3 color sunburst" color icon. This is probably as good as straight grain can get...

70s Telecaster Custom, Sunburst

backporchmusic likes this.
  3. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

It should be tiered. There are custom shop details for sure *should* cost a lot, but then just having more useful pickup options at the mid-priced range would be rad. I'd pay 824 for a mexican semi-hollow tele with P90s. I can understand charging 1200 for an American build of the same, plus special wiring, a push-pull pot, a toasted maple board, highest grade hardware, etc etc.

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

So, when I sell my CV Thinline, I'll be able to cash in on the Made in China label?

"Much better than the later Indonesian versions."

5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

People have been selling their Korean Epiphones with that 'better than China' bit for a while now. So I'd say yup, Your MIC CV will fetch $50 extra.

Unless the Indo ones turn out to be even better...

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, Fender has so many variations of Strats and Teles that all look the same, that I don't even bother trying to keep up.

Veeseaczar likes this.
  7. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

I'd recommend one of each.

8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

In my opinion, it might be, but not because of the Made in China label, but as being one of a series that might no longer be produced.

The company that makes the current CV / defunct VM series has made several midprice Fender models, but only the cheapest Fender models were made in China (Modern Player).

In my book the Indonesian factory output is very similar to the older CV production.

9. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Makes sense to me. The cost and spec of VMs were drifting up and up, however QC wasn’t always spot on. Desirability has gone up to. To anchor them in that higher quality, slightly higher spec CV category seems logical, especially as the VMs were getting less and less “modified” in design. At the same time, the Fender Player series are now £500-550, so the £400 Squiers fit in the range a little better.

Still too many Fenders/Squier models though. I always think fewer models in more colours would satisfy people.

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Right, I checked the two links, and just got the woods mixed up between the two. The point was that it isn't maple.
    I have a VM Tele Custom, made in Indonesia, and I can't find a flaw on it. Gonna upgrade the output jack, which is crappy on both lines of Teles, and I have to replace the pickup switch, which got broken in shipping I guess, I bought it used and the pics online showed the selector switch intact, but it was broken off when I got it. Seller said it was fine when he shipped it. I couldn't find the broken-off piece in the box, but it probably needed replacement anyway, the electronics and switches are the only downside to the VM's and CV's. Gonna have the WRHB rewound to vintage specs, may keep the bridge pickup, haven't decided yet. My main point is the Indo guitars seem to be made pretty well, if mine is any indication.
    Al

11. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I bought a VM in 2015 and it went up $50 months later. Looks like another price hike. It's a decent guitar but I did eventually change pretty much everything on it except the jack plate.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

The VM Jazzmaster never felt as 'solid' a guitar as my Mascis, or my current 'Deluxe' version (the red Mascis). Yet my deluxe does not feel as nice as my friend's MIJ or MIA version, or my own 60s laqcuer MIM.

So there is something more to it than simply 'the frets are clean and don't stick out' at work.

Something with the quality of the wood. And the hardware, I would guess.

We talk a lot about pickups, but less about the overall quality of the wood used.

13. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Here's an interesting video that features some of the changes on the Classic Vibe series including s switch to narrow tall frets and bone nuts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.