1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Area Hot T or Area T 615?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Wamba, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

I can't make up my mind... I'm wanting to upgrade the pickups on my G&L ASAT Classic. I like the way they sound but they don't really "rock" well and they squeal like a pig when the volume gets up.

I play mostly blues-rock based stuff with a healthy dose of "hot" country and an occasional trip through classic rock and even some arena rock type stuff. I'm currently using a Katana-100 and lovin' it!

So, help me out here a bit... Area Hot T or Area T 615? I'm also intending to run the Area T neck.

Anyone have experience with each of these?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been reading up on these lately too. Everything I've read has pushed me towards the hot version, saying "hot" is kind of a misnomer and they are really more in line with a broadcaster type pickup.

If you search the site there's quite a few threads worth reading through.

3. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

I've done a fair bit of research on this one. I think I have read most of the threads here that mention either of these. I have also combed through The Gear Page and various online reviews.

I guess put another way... I'm looking for the great blues/rock tones but with the ability to do the twang thang when needed. Does that make sense?

4. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I highly recommend the Area Hot T bridge from your description - and carefully dial it back away from the strings just a touch more than you might think is 'right' and you'll be amazed how it responds to that.
    I have been able to get a very satisfying Broadcaster style sound out of the Hot T this way, which is dynamic and gives you twang as required when you attack it with that intention.
    And very effective humbucking all at once.

As above, it's true; 'hot' is relative to a 'vintage' kind of vibe pickup, like say a later 50s into 60s type - very different.
    It can outrun a Broadcaster by running it closer - I just suspect you wouldn't want it to.
    Hence my recommendation.

And by the way, I run it alongside the Area T neck (with the neck much tighter to the strings to help balance it, as the neck is a somewhat 'quieter' pickup).
    In my Nashville I also have an Area Strat style pickup in the middle along with the above T set...

The 615 is aimed to be a lot more 'Nashville' - less grunt, more upper mid/top end - hence the name (area code... that's a multilayered reference in fact =])

5. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I have a regular Area T, and I guess based on the specs it's not as "high output" as the 615 and Hot T, but it's still plenty loud.

Looks like the 615 is a bit higher output than the regular Area T based on the specs, but with more treble and less bass/mids?

I've actually wanted to get another tele to put a Hot T in for ROKKIN.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.