Are you woke?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'm getting there...
    img.php.png

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was going to try to think of some clever sarcasm to answer - but then I read the last sentence. I totally believe that our utterly wretched and corrupt "criminal justice system" does what you say. it also perpetuates patterns of control over anyone who doesn't have much money, regardless of race.

so maybe i'm a little bit "woke".

FerruleCat likes this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Since about 5 AM

4. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

I am not woke....I am a Wookie.

PlainAllman likes this.
  5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

The challenge is that few people who claim to be “woke” are even aware of this. Many of them certainly cannot articulate it as you have.

Most of the “woke” folks that I come into contact with get upset about the basic questions we’re all required to respond to make it through each day.

Me: “Can you tell me where José’s Mexican Restaurant is?”

Woke person: “How dare you assume that I’m Hispanic. Just because I have a dark complexion and dark hair doesn’t...”

Me: “Whoa... I was just asking because you’re holding a to-go cup from José’s.”

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm really disappointed with this post.

I feel baffled, for all the hard work that's been ongoing for decades, that people I am close to have been involved in some kind of way since I was a teen ager. If you could see all the papers we wrote on this subject, the seminars, the demonstrations, going back to the late 1960s, pushing against systemic poverty and injustice and then some jokers come along and discover Coca Cola like it never existed before.

When the Rev. Avery Alexander called my office and I picked up, I recognized his voice and greeted him by name. When Hon. Israel Augustine asked me to take pro bono cases, I did. But you don't even know who these civil rights leaders were.

If someone dropped a well known manuscript from Chaucer in your lap and said "Gee, look what I just discovered!" how would you feel. Just because pushing against the system takes a toll over time, doesn't mean nothing's been going on. People who are beat up and bloodied from previous struggles don't really appreciate it when they're told their efforts never happened.

Wow. For those who just got woke, my question is, what took you so long? Where is your embarrassment?

7. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

That kind of reactivity isn't the real deal, and depending on the day, I can get annoyed by that as much as anyone.

Here's an example of me trying to be "woke": If I'm in a meeting and a female colleague is saying something, and someone cuts her off, I'll sometimes cut them off and say, "Wait a minute; I think you might have interrupted Jill." It's a small thing, but I try to promote a norm where women can finish their thought. In a sensible world, that wouldn't be offensive to too many people.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

I has a similar incident happen to me. I was delivering a piece of equipment to a jobsite and parked out on the highway in front of the place. I walk towards the building to speak with someone about where to unload. I see a guy walking towards me in a straight line and somewhat rapid pace. I'm thinking maybe this guy works here and is coming to offer assistance. As he approaches this happens.
    Me: Do you work here?

Him: (in indignant tone) Do I work here?! What because I’m a mexican you think i work here?!

Me: No man you were just walking like someone who had a purpose as if you were serious and working.

Him: (In surprised relief and complimented tone) Oh I look like I had a purpose? Well thanks man that makes me feel good (shaking my hand). No sorry I don’t work here.

Me: Ok cool thanks anyway have a good day.

How do people go through everyday life with the kind of chip on their shoulder that causes that to be their reaction to a simple everyday interaction?

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"woke" is a joke. it's just a buzzword that arose from the metoo thing (it was actually appropriated from a rap song at that time) and quickly became utterly devoid of meaning, as these things do

10. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

For most people that is just simple common courtesy not to cut someone off regardless of their gender or race or whatever. Its not some groundbreaking new thing.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe they're just tired of dealing with racism and stereotyping. You have no idea what that guy has put up with in his life.

FerruleCat and Greg_L like this.
  12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

And yet, women are still dealing with dismissive men all the time. Sure, it's not new, but does that mean it's not still a problem?

FerruleCat and Greg_L like this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I deal with dismissive women ALL the time, and I don't like that one bit :cool:

2 Headed Goat and '64 Tele like this.
  14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

So ladies and gentlemen... I hope we all recognize that we’re all (including me) dancing close to the rules here. No one has done anything wrong... so let’s continue to keep it civil and remember no name calling.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I lost track of this conversation.....are we still talking about Jose'?

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I am NOW...

17. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks - that's 2:31. I will never get back.

No. I'm not saying injustice does not happen, but it has more to do with individual stupidity than race. To many, way to many, look to society for excuses for the situation they put themselves in. I will not elaborate further, because I feel the thread is beginning to turn, so I will watch the accident scene from afar

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    PlainAllman likes this.
  18. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

So you think that is the answer to this problem? Go through life with a chip on their shoulder and assume racism and stereotyping is around every corner? People see what they want to see even when its not really there. Somewhere along the way someone told this guy he was a victim and to watch out for certain types of people because those are the ones likely to victimize him.

Jim622 likes this.
  19. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

Maybe so, maybe not. But either way, you don't get to decree what's "really there" in other peoples' experience.

Greg_L likes this.
  20. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

The fact is that people are dismissive of people. It a courtesy and manners thing.

'64 Tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.