1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are you using your micro tilt adjustment?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, Jan 28, 2021.

1. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’ve recently become acutely aware of neck angle in the process of setting up my acoustic guitars.

Not something I’d ever given much thought to before on my Telecaster.

I know, and now understand better, the function of the “micro tilt” adjustment available on some Fender electric guitars. I’ve never needed to adjust the neck angle. All my setup adjustments have been done with the saddles. My Tele is 20 years old this year.

Y’all using yours?

2. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Nope.

Despite playing for a little over 10 years at this point, I'm only now getting proficient at doing my own setups. Once I find out how that thing works on my Am Std., I guarantee it'll be one more thing to obsess over. Ignorance is bliss.

Hey_you and DjimiWrey like this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have used mine Seasonally, the way some other people use adjustments to their truss rods. If the guitar goes a little out of kilter, you can dial it back in - then in a few months you detension it until next winter.

I sure don't leave it in use for long stretches. I've seen "ridden hard, put away wet" Americans at guitar shops (almost all Strats) with humps that correspond to the location of the Tilt mechanism. One place in Orlando, on Orange Blossom, had more old, messed up Americans that had this issue, than those that did not.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Nope, it's just a form of neck shimming really, and for every guitar I've needed to shim.... it's on the wrong end of the neck pocket! Not to mention, it leaves the neck just resting on a screw head more or less.

mojek, 985plowboy and GeneB like this.
  6. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I don't use the micro tilt on my Strat. I just haven't needed it. But I am apprehensive about it. I have one on an old Peavey Predator that after 20 years I decided to use and I think I over tightened the neck bolts because the neck split. Not a bad split, but still a bummer. Now I use a whole pocket shim from StewMac.

985plowboy likes this.
  7. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had an 85 mij Contempory Strat with micro tilt that I adjusted it once and left it. Made the angle much nicer.

My 2010 Am St Strat has one but I've never felt the need to adjust it. Some things are better left alone imho.

985plowboy likes this.
  8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

On my CBS Fenders, no on my Tele Deluxe but yes on my Strat. I'm not sure it needs it though - it's how it was set up when I got it.

9. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My new in 2006 Strat came with a business card shim in the neck pocket. I replaced it with a cut to fit piece of metal feeler gauge. I would never use a micro tilt as it may cause long-term humps in the neck.

10. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

No

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Cabronita has it, and I do use it.

12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've never seen the need to adjust any of mine.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think Ron Kirn nailed it. Fender wanted to speed up the assembly process, to make more money, and the Micro Tilt means the worker installs the neck just once. If the guitar doesn't want to set up, he or she dials in some Micro Tilt. And then, the Marketing Department tells the customer it is a feature for them (the customer) when I don't think it is. I don't think it made sense on the Leo Fender G + L products either, except he demonstrated that he, Mr. Fender, knew what he was doing and the Tilt function wasn't the real reason so many 1970s Fenders were throwaway junk (just bad manufacturing processes). Worth? Not even close to the trouble FMIC went to to design them in. For the customer, that is.

Boreas likes this.
  14. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

The Micro Tilt Adjustment would be a nice thing to have on a vintage style Jaguar or Jazzmaster which because of the shallow string break angle over the bridge, unless you use really heavy strings, the necks most times need shimming to keep lighter gauge strings from jumping around on the bridge saddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.