Are You Self Taught?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by robert spencer, Dec 2, 2012.

1. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

Are you self taught or did you learn through insruction.
    Does it matter in the beginning?
    Does it matter in the end?
    Do you read music?
    Do you read in the bass clef?
    Do you use tablature when learning a song.
    Curiosity on my part. Take care. Bob

2. Bush Wiebe

Bush Wiebe Tele-Meister

As a kid growing up my Dad bugged me incessantly to learn the guitar but I wasn't interested. Then when I hit 17 I caught the bug, got a guitar, and asked him to teach me. He said, "No way, if I teach you how to play then you'll end up sounding like me and I want you to sound like you. Go to your room with that guitar and get to work."

So I used whatever tools I had available to me whether it be Youtube or instruction books or tips from friends but it was all driven by my own desire to be a guitar player. I think it made me take the long way around to playing well, but in the end I appreciate what my Dad did. And I do think I sound like me.

But he still could of showed me a few chords at least :rolleyes::p

3. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Self taught 15 or so years ago, currently taking lessons from a trained classical guitarist.

Yes because now I am trying to correct years of bad habits.

Yes because I dont know how many thousands of hours I wasted trying to figure things out on my own. If I had structure I would of been a much better player then I am now.

Yes with the help of said instructor. That is something that a lot of guitarist and even guitar teachers can not do. I may suck but at least I know what the notes mean ;)

Guitar music is in Treble Clef but if I picked up a bass I would.

Not if I can get my hands on sheet music. The problem with tabs, there is not a easy way of figuring out time signatures. If you already know how the song goes then playing tabs are fine but if you have never heard the song before it will not sound right.

4. gshep92

gshep92 Tele-Meister

I learned like that too, all on my own with the internet and listening to songs.

5. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Yeah. Didn't pick up a guitar until I was 23 or so, when I bought my girlfriend at the time one for her birthday. I ended up getting completely hooked before I gave it to her.

It helps to be completely obsessed for the first few months or so of learning in order to get over that initial hump of developing the motor memory and finger strength.

6. robert spencer

I remember reading a story told by a member of Jimmy Vaughns band about coming to the house and seeing an 11 year old Stevie Ray sitting on the floor in front of the stereo picking out lead to a Buddy Guy record. That is self taught isn`t it. And you know Buddy Guy didn`t go to music school either.
    For myself I wish I had been exposed to some form of discliplined instruction to have adopted correct habits. I`ve had a lot of trouble with my hands as a result. Not to mention a difficult time learning due to having less than a good ear. Take care. Bob

7. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Started playing guitar when I was 13 and took lessons from a folk guitar instructor for a couple of months, just long enough to learn the cowboy chords and start on barre chords. As he had no use for rock 'n roll, I quit and have been self taught via just listening to albums and trying to play along, up until the advent of DVDs and Internet lessons.

I plan to take some jazz guitar and music theory for guitarist lessons at the Wisconsin Music Conservatory now that I'm mostly retired.

8. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Never mind, I didn't notice the forum title. I am self-taught on bass, but I do believe I would benefit from lessons, at least for certain techniques.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

That is the boat I am/was in and why I started taking lessons. Finding a good instructor is the hardest part. So many of them want you to learn your Am Pent and then throw you a couple SRV licks written in tab and expect you to play it. When my first instructor did that (on the second lesson) I called him a few choice words and walked out. I told him day 1 minute 1 that I wanted to learn how to read music and learn the theory behind it. He could of told me day 1 minute 1 "duuuuude, i dunno any of dat?!?" and saved us all some time.

I found the guy that I am learning from now and he is mean as hell to me :lol:. He expects me to read music, if something is too easy he will pull something out of his bag and then I usually want to go find the nearest bridge and jump off of it at the end of the lesson. But I have noticed a huuuuuuge improvement in the last 9 months or so I have been going to him. I am a metal head and I own probably 5 classical books for every 1 metal or rock just because its a lot more rewarding.

When you look back in time all the great composers and they seem to have studied under another great. Beethoven was a genius and he studied under people. What would ever make me think that I am too good for it :D.

A piece of advice my instructor gave me, learning a song to perfection is a waste of time, you are not progressing by doing that. Which is also a great excuse to play difficult songs once and then forget about them :lol:.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I can look at sheet music... and see in my mind the timing and the rise and fall of melody... maybe roughly hum the song..
    with time, I could piece it together note wise on a fretboard.... not from direct memory though.. I'd need reference work.. nothing complicated...

I learned drums/drum misic as a kid... there was no melody lines.. just beats on a flat line within the bars....
    early guitar tunes were learned off the chord blocks on the single song sheet music we could get... the beatles book, CCR , CSNY etc...

I half learned music.... enough to be dangerous ...;)

11. Spittin' Blues

Spittin' Blues TDPRI Member

I originally started with a piano background, so I was very accustomed to reading notes and had a firm grasp on harmony and theory. In terms of the guitar, I took lessons for a number of years, but eventually found that playing by year and transcribing solos was the best way to go, even though I learned many chord voicings and proper technique from the lessons . Learning by ear forced my brain to work more, therefore enhancing my musicality. I can read notes when playing guitar, but still prefer tab since that was what I was brought up on.

In terms of groove and rhythm, listening and jamming along to records (or with a band) is the way to go.

here's a cool article:
    http://www.woodytone.com/2010/03/17/are-lessons-a-waste-of-friggin-time/

12. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy TDPRI Member

Are you self taught or did you learn through insruction.

I think that at some level, everyone is self-taught. Teachers and courses can bring you to the material, but you really have to work through it yourself to get the point.

I started with some lame lessons and spent a lot of time with instructional materials from all kinds of sources and some study in university. After many years of playing, I still seek and use instructional materials.

After playing for several years, I took a formal theory program, which really raised the bar on my understanding.

Does it matter in the beginning?

Probably yes. Getting off to a good start is important, as it is easier to build on a solid foundation.

Does it matter in the end?

That depends upon the person and what they want to do.

Do you read music?

Yes.

Do you read in the bass clef?

Yes.

Do you use tablature when learning a song.

No - I can't really read tabs. I'm totally comfortable with a lead sheet or chart, but I never worked with tabs.

13. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

I was instructed on drums and trumpet. I am well versed in theory but there is more to learn yet.

Guitar is self taught. (and it shows)

I wish I could get a few lessons in just to straighten out some stuff. Best to do in the beginning perhaps.

The more theory one can learn makes it better in the end for me anyway. I have a thirst for musical knowledge that goes beyond learning everyone elses music. I don't gig and am not in a band but long to Jam. Oh and I suc.

I read and write music in all clefs (yes bass clef too).

I don't use tab much but I always write in a tab part for any scores I write. Obviously it is not just about playing a particular note but where on the neck it is played makes a difference in playability. Notation doesn't give you that. Tabs do. Still, I prefer notation for all instruments. I find it much easier and faster to read than tab.

14. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Mostly. I've gotten little bits of wisdom from professional players here and there, and that helped a lot with my electric bass playing technique.

I will be having my first bass lesson after winter break, though. I'm learning how to play upright in an orchestral setting. I'm gonna get my ass whooped for how terrible my technique is, but it'll be so worth the time and money.

On guitar though, everything I know is from my own research and experience. It definitely shows too, because I suck at playing guitar haha.

When I get to a point that I can go without more bass lessons, I'll probably do piano and guitar lessons.

15. vanklomk

vanklomk Tele-Meister

Took my first guitar lesson recently, after about a decade of self-taught hackage. He is trying to fix my bad habits, and I knew I had lots, but boy is he making me feel dumb. If I improve at all, it will be well worth it.

16. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I took six lessons when I got my first guitar, by the last one I was still playing Camptown Races.:( Like a lot of folks at the time, I wanted to play the Beatles or something like them. Needless to say, I took it upon myself to learn to play and I never took another lesson...

...until I decided to be a bass player 36 years later. Found a great teacher (thanks, Jim!) who allowed me to pick the material I wanted to learn and who made me learn to read a little bass clef. Since then, I've focused on acoustic and am able to combine the bass lessons and my own learning experience- I'm a happy picker these days!

So I would answer "yes" to all the questions above, in spite of my own background.

17. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I am self taught. There are a lot of good resources out there for learning. You can spend the rest of your life on youtube videos. I did know how to sight read written music notes on bass and did do that years ago, but it has been so long since I did it, I have forgotten how to do it. The only time I used that skill was in a college Jazz style Big Band.

18. robert spencer

In addition to the many youtube videos on line I find that studybass is a good resource:

http://www.studybass.com/

Take care. Bob

19. psychetelec

psychetelec Tele-Holic

Self taught, and don't read music.
    Does it matter? See my sig.

20. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

i had a similar experience, but my dad never bugged me to play. I was always bugging him to give me tips and tricks. He always refused (actually he showed me one little solo trick). I learned on my own, and since he has stopped playing, I'm even better than him!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.