Are You Practicing Or Tone Chasing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dirty Dave, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My sound has been together now for many years now as I just found the right gear that works for me ( variety of old R&R, blues, country), which comes down to a clean/bright tone, a way to make that dirty, and just a few effects. The stuff I play doesn't need more.

Then hopefully playing and technique kind of brings out what style/player I'm going for
    The ABCs of guitar;
    Always be playing!!

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Father Time and his relentless push to the future.

3. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Oh practising songs & more likely finger dexterity exercises because I'm an old fart. I got off the tone chasing bus a while ago, It's never ending and expensive.
    The last piece of hardware I bought was a line 6 Pod XT live floorboard (which is old by today's standards) and I haven't bought anything else since.

Chunkocaster and Dirty Dave like this.
  4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Yes. I don't think I can separate the two, I am constantly doing both, but I think overall the biggest portion of the time is spent playing/practicing. The times when I focus too much on tone/sounds is just before I hit the record button. I hear a sound in my head, but it might take me an hour to dial it in and jam with it and tweak a bit before I actually commit to recording it.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  5. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I pick up the guitar and play at least an hour probably more like two hours a day. Not practice like when I was a kid, more learning new songs or working out bits.

I've got a Tele and a jazz box that always sound perfect to me; and I've got 2 amps 15w and 25w that cover my needs. I don't really chase tone, just amp, cord, guitar seems to give me the sound I want:)

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I spent a lot of years tone chasing, but once I found my signature sounds with my guitars, amps and pedals, I could then spend 100% of my time practicing and into recording. It is much more satisfying now.

Tone chasing took a lot of additional time beyond twisting knobs, by searching for the gear too. Whether on the internet or demoing in stores, that I do not do anymore either.

I must add that I think those years chasing other people's tones for cover songs were very worthwhile regarding training the ears and learning amp voicing, speaker voicing, pickup voicing, etc., so I don't believe it was a waste of time at all.

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've gotten to the point where I can dial in "my tone" on just about any gear - at least close enough to pass for practice/gigging. I've stopped messing with pedals and amps - I'm happy with my usual setup there. I am still fussing with pickups, though, but I immensely enjoy that aspect of tone chasing, so call it a hobby, I guess. Even the cheapest of pickups sound generally pretty good, these days, although the cheaper you go, the less consistency and quality control there is. But I do enjoy exploring the subtle tone, attack and feel changes even between very similarly designed pickups. I don't think pickup swaps are really necessary these days, but it's fun for me.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  8. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i spend too much time here but, i am all set for tones so when guitar is in hand i practice something new then play songs.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Many years ago I was one of the first in my town to own a Line 6 AX212. Awesome amp, and the new technology was super cool at the time. But I only owned it for a year or two and then sold it. Why? Because I realized I was spending way, way more time programming it than I was spending playing it.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

A bit of both is healthy and fun.

d barham, darkwaters and Dirty Dave like this.
  11. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I'm practicing, I like music, and I like songs. I do not like gizmos, gadgets, and knobs. I learned pretty quick that a new guitar will not make me play any better.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I can't speak for everyone but IMO tone comes with experience in that I think tone is largely due to the player & everything else enhances that. So for me, tone comes from honing skill & over time you'll discover does & doesn't work for you, then suddenly "Have Tone".

A few people say I have good tone, but I have never focused on tone, I just like some things & don't like others. If you take my gear & put it in the hands of someone who likes other things it will likely sound like crap.

My bass player is a tone chaser & the search is never ending. He has so many pedals music stores wish they were him. He knows everything about everything & knows everyone who makes anything. He always sounds fantastic, always. It doesn't matter what bass he's using, what amp, what combination of pedals, he sounds great because he's a great player. And yet, he's on a never ending search for the best tone. Honestly I hope he never finds perfection because I'm not sure what he'll do with himself if he does.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Dirty Dave likes this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My sound is based on both...

Dirty Dave likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have spent WAY too much time chasing tone or experimenting. It also has cost me more than just paying through the nose for what i want instead. I could have bought multiple vintage 64 Vibroverbs with all the money I've spent trading, inventing and modifying.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  15. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m just playing. Sometimes it’s to learn 10 songs in two weeks and other times it’s to tweak a delay pedal for an hour. This is supposed to be fun, so I just do what I want to.

RobSzat, Askwhy and Dirty Dave like this.
  16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave TDPRI Member

Thankyou for this.
    Everybody's different approaches have been really good to read about, but yours is like a lightbulb has just come on.

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm not really tone chasing at all, and enjoying much more focused practice, quicker learning of pieces, and new techniques. It helps that I'm really, really happy with my sounds!

Dirty Dave likes this.
  18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

When I try to create new patches for my GT-100, I'm usually thinking about the guitar sound on a specific song I like to play. But when I'm successful at creating a perfect patch for a particular song, I find it works well for many other songs. I have fewer than two dozen "go-to" patches, but I could easily play 98% of all the tunes I'll ever play with those.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  19. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What he said!

I play alt country/honky-tonk so i dont chase alot of tones except for clean, clean with some dirt, clean with some delay, or clean with some trem. Anything other than clean gets washed out in the band mix has been my experience.

I have all I need with an amp, and a couple pedals, and a tele.

Used to chase alot of tone, but i have figured out what works for me and what i do. So if i am playing, it would be called practice or writing

Chiogtr4x and Dirty Dave like this.
  20. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This was (is? o_O) me - I still geek out talking about gear and gear history when ever I can "trap" someone who will listen. I really gotta keep working on curbing that. I always assume every new guitar player I meet is like this, but alas, it turns out not to be so more often than not!

Dirty Dave and G.Rotten like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.